Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester or Edelbrock 500cfm?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 27, 2013.

1. el_bole

el_bole

I have an sbc 283(1967) and I have one complete Rochester quadrajet and a partial one....one for sure cam off of an early 80's chevy truck...

Ive heard good things about the edelbrock 500cfm carbs.....Which would you go with? Buy the edelbrock new($260-300) or rebuild the rochester(quoted $250)? I looked up books on how to rebuild Rochester/used Edelbrock but Im not that patient, or is it no big deal?

Electric choke or manual?

By the way Ill be using a mechanical fuel pump on the 283....and this will be a driver/grocery getter...(1961 chevy truck)

Thanks in advance for any info....

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Unless you have a spreadbore intake manifold for that Quadrajet to bolt to, I'd go with the Edelbrock...much easier to tune.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

HOLLEY650cfm electric choke!

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

Edelbrock. That 80's Q-jet is an electronic smogger.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I read your original post twice.... You say you have 2 quadrajets. 1 is off a 80's chevy. ( dump that one ) the other, if earlier then 78, run with it.

The quadrajets rebuild kit is $35.00. Its easy and straight forward. ime is spent cleaning.... and soaking.... I wouldn't pay $250 for a rebuild. That's nuts...

Edlebrocks are touchy, but once you understand them, they aren't bad.

Holley is a pretty easy out of the box install. Vacuum secondaries are pretty forgiving as well....That Holley 390 would be a hell of a 4 bbl carb for your 283...

Tough choice, they all have their loyal following.

Price a Holley 390 out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barry-Grant...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c33f2267b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLEY-8007...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a1651da4&vxp=mtr

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have 54,000 miles on my Deuce roadster and 33,000 miles on my '46 woodie, both with trouble free Edelbrocks. This includes a coast to coast trip in the woodie and everybody said I would have carb trouble going over the Rockies (14,000) ft elevation and the car ran fine.

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Touchy? You take it out of the box, install it and it works great. How is it touchy?:confused:

9. Some people find Q-jets easy to work on. I think they're awful. Go with the Edelbrock

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The Edelbrock carb is actually a Carter AFB, factory installed by almost all makes for many many years from the mid 60's Corvettes to dual quad Buick Nailheads and 60's Mopar single quad engines and dual quad Hemis. These manufacturers knew a good product, and so did Edelbrock! :D

The "set it and forget it" functionality of these carbs is due in fact to a secondary valve that aids in keeping from over-carberating the engine.

There is some fine tuning adjustability in them in the form of jets, metering rods, and springs.

I just rebuilt a Carter 625 for my car, I picked up two of them with the same part # for $40 each. I'll rebuild the second one when the car is ready for a dual quad setup.

The rebuild kit cost $30 or so.

I love my Holley double-pumpers but the Edelbrock/Carter AFB is cheap, efficient and reliable. :cool:

11. 327Eric

327Eric

Be Sure to buy a quality fuel pump. I have had problems with edelbrocks when running off the shelf generic parts store fuel pumps. edelbrocks like about 4-4.5 psi pressure, my last big block pump put out 13 psi, my small block was putting out 9 psi, and my 383 mopar was putting out 9 psi.(kragens/autozone/carquest off the shelf units) I put a carter pump on the big block chevy, and had to put regulators on the other two. Other than that, the edelbrocks are pretty painless.

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Some just can't do that. I agree, both of mine still working just fine as delivered.

13. I'm using the Edelbrock 500 on my 302. Manual choke but not hooked up. like it a lot.

14. Deuces

Deuces

One of these days, I'm gonna start a "how to" thread on rebuilding a Holley carb.... I have a 600 w/ vacuum secondaries I need to go through...;)

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

everyone I have ever taken out of the box has needed adjustments. Metering rod springs, jets and metering rods. 1 even had the high float on one side out of adjustment.... I did learn about edlebrock though. SO ya, Touchy..... I run one, and after I went through it, I am pleased.

I was gona add pics, but they are on my phone, and not going to upload right now. I know how we love eye candy....

Any of the choices except the smog quadrabog are good as I stated

16. carbking

carbking

The answer would depend on what intake manifold you have, and the original application of the second Q-Jet.

If the second Q-jet is applicable to your engine size, and intake manifold; I believe you would like it.

Of course it isn't as sexy as the e-clone at the car show; but you will get there and back just as quick and on less fuel.

Jon.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Hey carb king, Is that what they are getting to rebuild a Rochester these days. $250?

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Q-Jet perform better & use less gas.

19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

$150 in L.A.

20. Edelbrock for me any day of the week,pretty much trouble free. HRP

21. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

For lack of a better term there is kitting a carburetor, sometimes called rebuilt.

A next level up might include throttle shaft bushings and maybe secondary cam replacement.

Floor 3 is ladies lingerie and installing specific calibration.

Top floor is re-plating all plated components, all above, restoration maybe?

So hard to nail it down.

I would say if you get level 2 for 250 that's a bargain.

Hoop

22. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

All the carbs are pretty good. I have 2 500 Eddy's on my kids 350 in his car and it runs great. They are jetted a little rich for cruising but that can be changed very easy. The Q-jet is a great carb also and for a 283 the best ones were the carbs that came off a 327. Jet them down a little with some 69 jets and 42B metering rods than use the generic DR rods in the secondary then you should be good to go.

23. Marv64

Marv64

I would go with a new edelbrock. I had a 70 Chevrolet truck years ago with a quadrajunk on it. It was so sensative you would have to adjust it when the weather changed or it would spit and backfire or just hesitate when you jumped on it. Marv

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Edelbrock 500 with the electric choke works great on a 283

40 Coupe Since 69 likes this.
  25. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

You know asking for advice from people who have all kinds of personal experiences is a slippery slope. I am not referring to anyone posting in this thread but I have seen some terrible advice from any rational evaluation backed up by personal stories.

So, I am not saying my experiences is better, it is just mine, and should be weighed based on your own judgement.

Any story I could tell of X car with X carburetor was great would not be a good basis, in my opinion to base your decision on. I think you should just use your own common sense.

That said, I'll jump in.

The Q-Jet was used on engines from 230 CID to 500 CID and it's small primaries and triple booster design, mean it is going to give excellent part throttle response, fuel economy, and more WOT airflow than any 500 CF Carburetor.

Caveat, to work on a small engine the secondary calibration is critical and it is not likely to be best out of the box unless it is for a small CID pre-electronic application.

The Edelbrock and Holley offer similar potential and the out of the box calibration will vary from one experience to another.

26. Elbopper

Elbopper

yes Edelbrock, i always use the 600 cfms on stock engines, i just replace 750 cfms for a 600 on a 302 engine, the 750 is like new but was to much for the little mouse.

27. If you have the spread bore intake Q-Jets are #1, Carters second.......Holleys are last for me.

28. carbking

carbking

The more important question would be: what is an exact meaning of "rebuilt"?

Prices could easily range from $49.95 from a self-anointed expert at the local you-wrench-it to well over $750. for a "collector" Q-Jet with the restorer (not rebuilder) guaranteeing all correct stampings, finishes, plating, etc.

Most early Q-Jets are going to need a heli-coil in the fuel inlet, and primary throttle shaft bushings. I know there are now kits available for the hobbyist to attempt these machine shop operations (and sometimes they are successful). I have also received several Q-Jets where the hobbyist made the attempt and destroyed any hope of saving the carburetor.

The above should be viewed as information; we are no longer accepting carburetors for rebuilding due to the demand for rebuilding kits.

A good barometer for price would be to contact customers of the rebuilder, and ask their satisfaction level. Would they use the same rebuilder again?

Jon.

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Jon,

would you please elaborate on your comment above? I do not understand the statement.

Thanks,

Ray