Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Great cars that no longer exist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Two great Ayala Customs: Gil's '40 and Louis' '49. Pictures courtesy of Rikster.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Still around!

[​IMG]

3. aircap

aircap

Incorrect!
    That is a NEW one, made from pieces of the old one that Starbird butched the hell up into an ugly POS. Then for decades he got loads of shit for butching up the original, which pissed off the original builder Dave Stuckey. So Starbird built the one pictured to pay for his sins.

4. ehdave

ehdave

Personally i prefer the earlier version of the lil coffin

Attached Files:

5. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i dont know.. sometimes.. they exist.. but are just.. hidden away.

Attached Files:

• ccdf.jpg
      ccdf.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  6. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

7. I don't know that I'd call Gateway "tiny". It's pretty well known, especially after they bought the F-88 at Barrett Jackson for that kind of money.

8. Because they are in my art folio, these 2 aussie street greats- one show, one go..

[​IMG]
    Kealey/ Mantzaris 'Rhapsody in Blue '32. Show car supreme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Georgette Fiat. 180° burnouts at sunset. Straight & true at 22:00- till a uni spit @ 155 mph. Adios!

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

I don't think I will ever forget Lee's Lesabre when it was purple and white, I was at Vet's auditoruim watching him set it up for the show and I think I just stood there, in a trance staring, then I probly annoyed Lee with a thousand questions. But it was unforgettable for me . I must have been 10 or 12

Attached Files:

10. S.F.

S.F.

It IS in the hands of someone who respects and loves it. Jim still owns it.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Semantics. It's not like the old one disappeared never to be seen or heard from again. It was changed, destroyed, salvaged, stored, and brought back to life pretty damn close to what it was.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You're quite right. Those really are three different sets, but I didn't see a need to start three different threads.

The original subject -- cars that were destroyed, or changed beyond recovery, is not as large a group as the second one:

Cars that have been f***ed over be a later owner, so that the original tasty concept is lost, is the largest group. It's often true that the original owner is the guy that messes up the original version. I agree that "f***ed over" is in the eye of the beholder, like beauty, and is a matter of opinion. I don't claim that my threads are free of opinion.

The third group -- the cars that have been recovered/restored -- is really the least important one, because by definition the evil has been exorcised. I won't do any more of those. Thanks for the comment.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm fairly sure that one is still around. I saw it at Goodguys OC in '07.

I agree with you. I know that some of us liked Grabowski's car best in its first "bug" version, black and blown.

No doubt he loves it, but his version of it followed the "If some is good, more is better" scheme far beyond Norm's Kookie version.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. this is the first time ive seen this version of the lil coffin I like it much more then the one im used to seeing and I like the current version

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Some more stuff I had in mind when I started this:

CARL CERNY'S CHEV -- a beautiful, subtle job on a Chevy 2-door, done in the early '50s. If it still exists, it's been out of sight for decades:

[​IMG]

AUBURN CABIN SPEEDSTER -- THis was a radical concept car done by the Auburn factory circa 1929, which I think was intended to go into production. It was destroyed by fire at the LA Auto Show when it was nearly new. I guess this one has been replicated, since this is obviously not a 1929 picture:

[​IMG]

BUSTER LITTON FORD -- One of the greatest early customs of all, with input from all the top custom shops of the day. I don't know what became of the original, but his one has definitely been cloned more than once:

[​IMG]

VALLEY CUSTOM '37 PICKUP -- This little sectioned truck was a magazine feature car in the early '50s. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's neat, and I haven't seen it in more than 50 years:

[​IMG]

NORINDER FERRARI GTO -- An OT item here: A Swedish racing driver named Ulf Norinder owned and raced a GTO until it was pretty beat up, and then had it partially rebodied in a gorgeous original design by Piero Drogo. Because GTO's are worth more than some small countries, it was eventually restored to look like the original GTO. This is the Drogo body:

[​IMG]

MY '36 3-WINDOW -- Yes, I know, it's his to do with as he likes. But the most recent owner of my pretty good-looking '36 changed it sufficiently to say that he lost the concept. Did I start this thread just to bitch about my old car? No, of course not; that would be tacky:

[​IMG]

16. codeblu

codeblu

This is the one I'm searching for, it's gotta be somewhere. Would love to "Clone" it.

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It does actually exist in Italy, I believe. It's been changed and messed up a bit though.

18. It is still around in private collection there is a pic on Rik's site

19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Lee Patterson's Hurricane:
    [​IMG]
    Despite what the cover says, it's really a sectioned '49 Dodge Wayfarer with '56 Plymouth Fury rear fenders and trim, and a Plymouth poly V8 with a Kaiser supercharger. I absolutely fell in love with this car back in the '70s when I got that magazine, but I have no idea if it's still around (but if it was you'd think there'd be photos of it...).

20. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I think I have an old copy of Car Craft with this Vette on the cover. I took this pic of it hiding at the '80 Car Craft Street Machine Nats. looking exactly the same
    [​IMG]

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/...rs thread/400px-Les-callahan-1932-dodge-2.jpg

The Callahan Dodge roadster was at Antioch Billetproof 3 years in a row. Lots changed, but the body and turtledeck were the same...it was sporting a shell from something obscure, but the car was recognizable.

The Jeffries stolen Merc was found by police in Northern Calif., it was in the possession of some members of a M/C 'club'... their lawyer told Dean it would be in his best interest to just let go...(this was documented somewhere, can't remember where...but I saw the Merc in San Jose in 1978. Primered, no grille, dash was a mess...)
    I was showing my wife the welds inside where it was chopped. Magnificent chop, BTW...

22. aircap

aircap

Say what you will.... but when Starbird changed the classic kustom hot rod we grew up loving in this horrible, wretched Monkey Ward mobile... I think I can safely say the old one was gone.

[​IMG]

23. Wow, pity 'bout the Piero Drogo GTO- beauty!- maybe someone can cut up the 'Breadvan'.. then again, maybe not - apparently, it does cut air well.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Fortunately, the Drogo GTO body was saved and restored, and was installed on a GTE chassis. Better'n nothing, I think.

25. The K&L streamliner has been a topic several times around here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

I agree.

I think they did right by that one.

The GTO was brought back to its historically more desirable version, and the Drogo body was preserved on the closest thing available to a GTO.

27. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

What ever happened to George Cerney's '49/50 Plymouth Suburban?

Attached Files:

28. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I remember a few years ago there was a search on for that 57 chevy that you sat way in the back seat to drive it, and the motor was set back, too. Came out of Wisconsin I think, and the original builder is an airline pilot looking for it.

Anybody remember this story or car?

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Very interesting thread, especially considering the three way split mentioned earlier. I always have to wonder, if Uncle Ray were to suddenly reaquire the roadster if he would somehow rebuild it back to one of its early versions as he owned it, or if he would just leave it as it is now (which is the same as his last version except for the tire and wheel combo).
    .....and which version would he choose....hhmmmm may have to pin him down on that one....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    current
    [​IMG]