Register now to get rid of these ads!

thoughts on paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Jun 27, 2013.

1. So it's getting time I start thinking about paint on my build....'30 tudor sedan with a 292 Y block, chopped 4" channeled 2 1/2". I painted the wheels cream they have black walls on them 600-16 and 750-16 on the rear. The plan calls for maroon body, black interier.

I was wanting input on engine color I will not be running a hood or side covers, also firewall, I realy don't like the white firewall anyone paint the firewall black, not on a black car though.

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I like firewalls that are body color. Not sure on the engine color, maybe cream like the wheels?

3. DirtyDirk

DirtyDirk

My vote is gold.

4. Black or body color fiorewal. I paint my engines black as a rule, lack of imagination I guess, or maybe jus because I like black engines.

Gawdy engines belong on trailer queens not on drivers.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Body color firewall with a red engine and cream wheels.

6. metal man

metal man

I think a red engine with a black firewall would look nice. I think your 292 was red originally too, and I like to see vintage engines in their original colors. I am assuming you'll have some brightwork on the engine?

7. Zerk

Zerk

I'm wondering how a copper or bronze engine would look against the dark maroon and black firewall.

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

My thoughts are keep it simple.
    Cream wheels and engine.
    Maroon firewall and body.
    Black or ox blood interior.
    A crazy thought...carry the upholstery to the firewall, tuck and roll the firewall the same as the interior :]'

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

firewall matching the body and engine matching the wheels. Black engines always look greasy to me but maybe that's because I've had too many greasy engines that looked black. Gold or copper on the engine if you don't match the wheels.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

firewall= body color

Black is the worst color for any engine. You literally cannot see it-either to admire it or to work on it.

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you have a lot of chrome or polished pieces, black can be a great color for an engine. High contrast between parts.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This may help. Engine color is the stock Ford bronze color from Bill Hirsch. I think it's for the 1952 Ford.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

^ x2

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's that Bill Hirsch paint. Flows out super smooth. Gasolene won't bother it. Can be brushed on or sprayed. Maintains its shiny appearance. Engine heat doesn't bother it.
    Has a great long shelf life. Great stuff.

Attached Files:

16. 55willys

55willys

Stock red engine, black or body color on firewall.

17. ddonner

ddonner
    from nfs

I grew up looking at sbc's that were red -- not orange red. A red engine with a bit of chrome and some black on accessories (which are not hung from the heads) still makes me smile.

18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Another vote for engine being stock color, body color on the firewall. I think your car will be tits with the 'period' look of the engine done up like it was a few years old and dropped in your '30 after a weekend of wrenching. Nothing beats the look of a car that appears to have come out of a late 50's time capsule. Cheers.

19. Thanks for the replies, I think the body color firewall is the way to go, I just never liked the white firewall (Iplan on driving the car too much to keep a white firewall clean) or the checkered firewall, that belongs on a coupe or roadster. now the black firewall is a good idea but I'm thinking bodycolor.
    Engine painted red would be good as the motor was red, I will have to get a good red not orange. the ideas about painting it cream to match the wheels is a good way to go also, so the engine will be red ...................or cream?