Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bench or buckets???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Jun 25, 2013.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys. Some of you maybe following my hemi rebuild thread but I thought I should start another one for the interior.

So im redoing the floor and a ton of other things on my chopped, dropped, and hard topped 49 plymouth.

Right now I have almost the entire floor cut out and in the very early stages of putting in a new floor. Problem is with all the other modifications ive done the driveshaft is much higher than stock. No biggie......but now what do I do about seats?

Cut up the original bench seat and try and make it work (A lot of work). Or grab some buckets out of a mid 60's T bird and do something little more custom?

Im trying to stay with the 50's mild cutom look. Im straying a little from tradtion but trying not end up with a car that is "confused"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

IMO, those big, full bodied cars need a bench, so yer gal can sliiiide closer during curves.

3. I have to agree with Fred,the bench seat always looks good in a custom. HRP

4. I agree with the 'bench seat' crowd-bench seats just look 'right'
    But-If you can't make up yer mind and want to "split hairs" go with a split bench:D

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're already past "mild" custom with your chopped and hardtopped roof...lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking that a '60s/'70s bench seat meant to work with a driveshaft tunnel might work? Eliminate the headrests and armrests if it has 'em.

6. christopher 78

christopher 78

7. I agree bench seats are cool in old cars.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bench with major modifying to center to allow for be mounted lower than stock. otherwise some early 60's T-Bird/GM buckets.

9. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I've been going though the same thing with my 55 Merc custom project but I decided I want a early custom car console so I going with early t bird seats!

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Both, bench that looks like buckets when armrest is down. Seats in my '59 F100.

[​IMG]

11. farmer12

farmer12

12. Bench would be what it would have unless it was a radical car or a 1960s build. That's when buckets got to be more common. Show cars often used things like kitchen chairs in them to get something really different.

13. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If your going regular custom bench. Showcar custom then Swivel buckets!

15. TJratz

TJratz

Bench...But if, for some strange reason, you feel you must run buckets. Go with the square buckets found in late 50's early 60's cars.

16. Nbjeeptj

Nbjeeptj
    from Gilbert SC

I like the bench seat look I wanted to look like I got grandmas car slammed it with big wheels. I think it turned out good. There were a lot of my friends who could not believe I would put the bench seat back in, but it was the best decision.

Went with this
    [​IMG]

In this

[​IMG]

17. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bench. More cushion for the pushin...

18. I like it!

19. tankwilson

tankwilson

Ok guys I think I have decided to go with the T bird interior. Front and back seats along with center console......now im considering changing out the dash for more of a wrap around front to match the back. Also something with with some style and that I can make flow into the center console.

Any ideas?

Will mount them little higher. Pic is just mock up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files: