Register now to get rid of these ads!

car brakes on truck spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doubledawg, Jun 26, 2013.

1. I have a set of 40 car brakes, square back f100 spindles and a minty set of finned aluminum drums. What do I need to install these brakes on my spindles? I search and keep getting hits on installing the f100 brakes on car spindles. Am I going in the wrong direction? :confused: I have all these parts already, and the drums have even been turned with lots of meat left on them.
    I want to get my 27 coupe on the road by the end of summer and this is next on my list.

2. What axle you using.?

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

How about a picture of the spindles ? They may not be what you think they are.

4. I'll take and post some pics when I get home from my son's soccer game. I don't have any pics on my phone so I have to wait til I get home to my computer.

5. here are the pics of my spindles and hubs as well as a pic of my axle. I'm not sure exactly what the axle is as I bought this as you see it here. Anybody want to chime in with what my axle is from?

Attached Files:

6. arto

arto

I thought F100 spindles had the wrong geometry for 28-48 Ford axles?

Axle looks to me like a dropped Model A or 33-36, maybe. Measure the perch pin distances and compare with the figures on droppedaxles.com, that should help ID it. Width at the kingpins would help too but it might have been stretched when dropped, maybe?

7. The guy I bought from said the hubs were from a 56 f100. I think the spindles are from the same donor.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  8. It's a little hard to see in your pictures; but it looks like the R/H spindle has an integral steering arm. If it does they are probably '48-'52 F-1 spindles.

If you want to use the 12" Lockheed brakes and the finned Buick drums, your best bet, would be to get a set of '37-'48 Ford spindles and some outside mount hubs and set
    them up the regular way.

You should be able able to sell the spindles and hubs you now have to recoup some money.