Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator help ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybillyjinx, Jun 26, 2013.

1. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

I am down to the wire to get my car on the road and reliable by Sunday!
    I have a Camaro alternator that I am putting in my 59 Edsel. I need to know a little something about wiring though. There is the S and F wire on the alternator, The generator has G and F. Then there is the obvious: the battery wire.

The Alternator is self regulating, the car is already wired to an external regulator. is it okay to just wire in a self regulating alternator even though there is a regulator in the car already? I assume it wouldn't hurt anything. Also, the S wire on the alternator goes to the ignition wireI think, what do I do with the wire from the harness that went to G on the generator? Do I just ground that to the alternator body?

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I Would bypass the external regulator and wire it per the alternator wiring diagram.

3. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I've never tried wiring an internal regulated alternator thru a voltage regulator, but it sounds like you'd be opening a can of worms. I wouldn't try it. N.N.

4. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

How do I bypass the external regulator? I can hook the alternator up the way an alternator wires up,
    S wire to ignition switch and/or indicator lamp.
    Battery wire to the threaded post on the alternator.
    F wire also to the threaded post.

My question is what do I do with the regulator when I do that? Do I just ignore it and leave all of the wires hooked to it alone?

5. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

Does anybody have any wiring diagrams for a 59 Ford or Edsel with the 223 inline 6?

6. here is a conversion wiring diagram

Attached Files:

7. The 10si will say "1 & 2" on the case. Make sure it's a external reg, gm went to them in '73. First one is internal reg and second one is external reg.
    [​IMG]

If you want to re wire it at the stock reg you can. First un hook the wires at the reg and battery. Battery wire in (B on reg) connects to A wire to alt (or the thickest wire to gen), this is your new battery wire. #2 on alt goes to bat post on rear of alt, #1 goes to small wire A terminal on reg (warning light).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  8. Are you sure the terminals are G and F?
    The internal GM alternators that are most common have a 1 and 2 terminal (these are the 10si and 12 si models)
    The External GM alternators have R and F

Do you have a picture of it? or the Delco part number that should be stamped in it?

9. Just hook the left terminal to an "ignition switched on" source and the right terminal to battery always on which you can just bring it to the large wire that bolts below. Then run a 8 or 10 guage wire from the bolted terminal to positive side of the battery . Simple as that. I have done this at least 30 times on off topic car club members cars. It's sooooo simple!!
    The external regulator can just sit there with all the wires still intact.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  10. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

Thanks all, I got it runing like a champ last week. Special thanks to 1947 Knuck who is an electrical wizard!