Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop Time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Veach, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Veach

Veach

OK I would like to know the secret to get a shop to move Your Ride through Their shop a little faster.For the first time in my life I had to put my 60 Falcon 2dr Wagon in the shop because I had to have my back Rebuilt.I go up there as often as I can to check on Her and it seems like He is working on everything but my Car.I don't understand what the deal is if there was another shop in Town I would pull Her out of His shop but there isn't.When He works on Her He does a really good job but just getting Him to.So the Question is what's the Secret ?

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

is it a bid job or hourly?...If its a bid job and you have already left a deposit, the deposit has been blown and hes working on others to keep the money rolling in..

I have multible jobs going usually one week at a time, but im hourly. If you fail to pay me in a timely manner, your car gets kicked to the back of the line and storage fees start, plus it makes me learly of putting more hours in later on..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I guess some guys are all about the sales and not doing the work. I want the jobs done and out of my shop. I have no idea why guys want the space taken up. Get it done and move on.

4. Veach

Veach

When I talked to the guy We went over everything I wanted done I paid Him on 1/3s. A 1/3 up front a 1/3 at the half point and a 1/3 when finished.I thought this would be the best way but what I think He is doing is using My Car as a draw.I have found it out front more than once with people all around it.Today I set a deadline for it to be finished which I should have done to start with but now I don't know if he will keep doing the same kind of work when he worked.I hate having someone else work on Her but with my back out I had no choice.I guess it's one of those wait and see deals.Thanks

5. jkeesey

jkeesey

I work my shop in order of appearance. The first cars in get worked on first, until parts are needed or waiting on something. Then I will switch to the next in line.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Does crew size have a factor in this type of work?

7. Have you talked to HIM about it?

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, does he put "friends" cars in front of yours. bad habit for many. maybe when you go over to check on progress take donuts, burgers or something - no beer.

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

What kind of shop, what kind of work?

Are any of the parts he's dealing with hard to come by?

I've seen several body shops do that on restoration work, specifically to keep the costs down for the restored vehicle owner.

They work on the resto 'till collision work comes in, then they bust ass on that to keep the lights on (most insurance I know of pays flat rate, quicker they get the job done, the more they can stretch those dollars).

However, if that's what they're doing, they should have mentioned that as the plan up front before taking the job.

10. Veach

Veach

It's in a Fab shot and he's is resetting the engine with new engine mounts,Trans mount, sub frame connectors,setting the rear making room for larger tires,moving the bottom two links with the torque boxes to the inside the frame.What I'm looking for is to be able to run a SBF 427 without twisting.She has a 347 in her now and I have a 30 over 289 the Car will go to my oldest Grandson when finished.But He is like Me and would like to make some passes with it so I thought I would let Him work Hisself up.What the Fab shop is doing is if someone brings something in that he can finish in a couple hours then he sets mine to the side then he starts back on mine till another one shows up and by the end of the day he has done 3 or 4 other jobs and mine sets because he knows he is going to get the money from mine but not the others so he does them.i gave him another two weeks and if its not finished I'm still pulling it out of his shop and not paying the last payment that's all I know to do

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yeah, that's BS.

I can understand him doing something quick ahead of yours once in a while, but to continually push yours to the back burner is bogus. :(

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That's quite a bit of work. How long did he tell you it would take? If you've never done that type of work it seems easy, but it is not, especially if you want it done right.

Like someone else said, you should talk with him. If he keeps track of his hours there's no reason he can't bill you like he bills the "fast" jobs and make money just as fast. I never bill by the job, only by the hour as that type of work is riddled with unknowns and fabrication is not something you want to try and rush. Once it's finished welded you can't re do it without major time and materials.

13. Veach

Veach

More of the same today you know it doesn't matter how good you are there are always other shops the DFW area has a lot of them and its only 50 miles away so it's time for Me to find another shop

14. Veach

Veach

After reading Dane's answer and question 3 or 4 more times I got to thinking He is right that is a lot of work and when you fix one problem you would have to figure out the next couple steps and not knowing fab or bodywork I have to say I really don't know what it takes to do what I'm asking Him to do.And I would rather Him take His time and do it right than just push it out the door.Dane I Thank You Sir for opening my eyes and I did what you said and had a set down with Him and all is back to being OK and I have to say this Site is Awesome.Thanks Everybody You can close this post now.One more thing pictures are coming

15. Get nasty, give him a finish date or tell him ya want your money back, or it'll sit there 'til you get Alzeimers and forget it's there! And don't let him charge for fucking storage or bullshit like that.

16. Veach

Veach

Willbe I'm given Danes way a shot and I hope it works but if it don't trust me I will do what you say just before I pull it.Cant tell you how much I love your part of Texas I don't care to much for Schlitterbahas but I love the Guadalupe river when She is running and German food to bad I quit drinking cause I loved German beer but one won't hurt.I would be packing about now but I just had my back rebuilt that's why my car is in the shop Thanks Y'all