Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I move Mustang II rack out 3/4"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joems, Jun 26, 2013.

1. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

Hi All.
    My car is a 41 Chevy sedan with an inline (261.) We've put a CE crossmember in front with a Mustang II kit (manual rack). I've already cut the front motor mount off of the 261 but the rack still will not fit under the oil pan. All the research I did before hand mentioned that once the motor mount was cut off of the front plate, the rack would fit fine. In my case, it doesn't. I can raise the motor a little, but not enough to fit the rack under it. My plan durring mock up was to move the rack out 3/4" with spacers, but have been told now that that's a no-no.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Joe

2. Since when is a Mustang II traditional? Depends on how wide your billet wheels are...

3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I assume by "out" you mean move the rack forward, not up, down, or to the side. In theory, as long as the inner tie rod pivots are in line with the lower control arm pivot point, it would work. In practice there is a limit to how far forward you can go. 3/4" doesn't sound excessive. I think a redesigned bracket would be better than a spacer as the rack will see high loads.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, as the fore to aft location of your rack controls the Ackerman in your steering linkage. Why can't you raise the engine a bit?

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

This ^^^

In fact, I went up 1/2" on my mounts to clear the steering/exhaust.

6. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

Thanks to all with the helpful resonses.
    The engine is at the firewall now. If I raise the front of the motor any more, I'd have to do something with the firewall.
    As you probably know, the older inline 6's have rear mounts on the bellhouse house that I used to position the engine, so that's not something I could have messed up. The more I tilt the engine up in the front, the closer the top (valve cover) gets to the firewall, and it's almost touching now.

Again, thanks for the help. I am a "FNG" and this is my first build, so I do appreciate that there are those willing to help, even if I have to wade through the A-Holes...

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Ok- so, I'm comparing things to my '51, and I know damn well they're different- but I think you're saying you won't have clearance at the firewall to tilt it motor back- but can it go straight up? It sounds like you don't need very much? - as long as there's room in the transmission tunnel, then the whole assembly should be able to slide up an inch or so without any negative impact to the driveline (IANAE).

What part of the rack is interfering? Pics will help...

8. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

The oil pan hits the middle of the rack.
    I probably could raise the whole engine up. I didn't really think of that. I would just have to come up with some spacers for the rear bellhouse mounts.
    I will try to get some pics tonight.
    Thanks.
    Joe

9. Is there a reason you can't notch the oil pan?

10. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I had an issue on an off topic car. I notched the pan and moved the rack out 3/8 with no issues. If you can get away 3/8 or less I cannot see a problem. As long as the pivot points remain the same.

11. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

Lack of skills.

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Joe,
    can you move the engine forward and then up? When I put the 292 Chevy 6 in my chevy I used the CE frame mounts and just positioned the engine forward or back as I needed it in order to have clearance for everything (fan, rear of valve covers, etc). I dont have a MII rack so i didnt have the same problem you have but maybe this will help.
    Paul

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Easy way to handle that is find someone with the right skills to do it! That might sound over simplistic, but it will solve the problem once and for all. even in my shop at 50.00 per hour I couldn't see simple oil pan notch taking more than 2 hours total. Once that is solved drop the engine back down to where it belongs and don't think about it ever again. If you start raising the engine at one end or another you are then messing with driveline phasing and that can get goofy real fast too.

14. badlefihand

badlefihand

I installed 1/2" tapered shims between rack and c/e cross member for clearance problem,no change in operation. Easy way is blocks to bring fwd.Maybe Elpacko will chime in if he sees this.

15. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Instead of moving the rack forward and effecting the steering geometry can you move it down just enough to clear but still have the tie rod ends square to the steering arms? If you move it forward it may bump steer when your suspension goes up and down.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Moving it forward won't effect bump steer within certain limits, it will alter the Ackerman effect, but moving it up or down very most certainly will!

Why is it that the absolute of some thing as complicated as steering geometry is so "fluid" around here? The rack needs to stay where it is, notch the pan and be done with it.

If you have moved your rack forward and had no ill effects until now, did you get away with it? How about when you're rolling down the freeway through a long sweeping turn at 75 and an animal steps out in front of you? Is it gonna just be okay when your compromised Ackerman lets your car under steer to the point where you go straight off or worse hit the family in the car next to you? THIS STUFF MATTERS FOLKS! Do it right and make the other stuff fit the suspension and steering geometry.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Take this for what it's worth, FatMan say's you can move their rack (rear steer) a certain amount horizontaly BUT not up and down. Ran into same problem on a '34 Ford P/U, 351 Cleveland, front sump pan .............................

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

oil pan notch idea sounds good, as long as it will not mess up clearance required for oil pickup at bottom of pan. moving rack forward will also mess up having the wheels centered in wheelwell. just raising front of engine will alter final trans angle and you will have to change rearend pinion angle too. have you checked with company that made the Must II crossmember as what would be best?

19. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

I was just at Back to the 50's and CE was there. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask them........

So, I just got off the phone with CE and he said I could move the rack out with a spacer as much as 3/4" without any issues.

20. Pitt Grease Monkey

Pitt Grease Monkey
    from PA

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:DoNotShowRevisions/> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions/> <w:DoNotShowMarkup/> <w:DoNotShowComments/> <w:DoNotShowInsertionsAndDeletions/> <w:DoNotShowPropertyChanges/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I like notching the pan.

I ran the numbers to see what impact moving my rack 3/4" forward would have on the front suspension I designed (not MII). The results for anyone interested:

Baseline @ 1" rack travel:
    Outside Wheel Angle -13.1 deg
    Inside Wheel Angle - 16.3 deg
    Ackerman - 3.2 deg

3/4" Forward @ 1" rack travel:
    Outside Wheel Angle - 12.9 deg
    Inside Wheel Angle - 15.6 deg
    Ackerman - 2.7 deg

So you can see that ackerman will decrease when making these kind of changes. This means one of your tires will scrub more, mostly at lower speeds. In high speed corners, the compliance of the tire will contribute much more to how much your tires scrub (tires can develop more than 6 deg slip angle at higher speeds).

So will you really notice the change from moving the rack? Probably not. Also, ackerman is considered in relationship to the rear axle as well. So unless a 41 Chevy has the same wheelbase as a stock MII, the ackerman is already off.

So, while I agree with this conclusion to keep the geometry unchanged, I would argue that it is not absolute. Engineers and designers make compromises all the time when it comes to suspension geometry for many reasons; time, money, quality, available space, regulations, desired handling characteristics, etc.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

21. I'm with Chip on this one. The rack should stay in it's intended, engineered position. You have two reasonable options:

1): Notch the pan. If all the rack needs to do is come forward 3/4" of an inch, I have to think that the notch in the pan is going to be very minimal.

2): Raise the engine/trans to gain clearance. Just remember that if you do this, you need to address the rear trans mount as well. You may even need to add a tapered shim to the rear axle perch to keep the driveline geometry within spec.

I'm a real stickler about suspensions and brakes because I have seen some unbelieveable abortions out running on the streets that are poorly engineered. Some guys only care about clearance and appearance and give NO consideration to engineering and safety. I'm not bashing the OP for asking his question. Actually, I applaud him for asking it, because too many guys just assume it's no big deal and do whatever they want.

22. An Honest Man - I like that!

23. Assuning it was designed right in the first place, moving it DOWN as you suggest WILL effect bump steer, unless you can move the tie rod ends down the same amount. Moving it forward, not so much. The ackerman will change but only slightly. In fact I think from plotting this, so slight you will never know the difference.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thank you for running those numbers! A slight or minor change does multiply into a bigger change down the line, especially when a simple notch in the oil pan will solve the original problem with an afternoon's worth of work.

As far as the "absolute" in my little tirade, I agree with you too, that the engineers do make compromises frequently. But with street rod stuff, it is so frequently already modified in the name of making it fit something that it was never intended to fit, why push it further? I do agree though that "absolute" is a more powerful word than I should have used...

25. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I'd still like to see some pics, if you can. I'm sure we can collectively come up with a solution to match your skillset.

26. Pitt Grease Monkey

Pitt Grease Monkey
    from PA

No problem on the numbers. I agree that sometimes as hot rodders we must be aware of how the modifications we make will effect the car as a whole. It is easy to overlook.

For those interested, or who may be more visual, you can see the effect moving the rack 3/4" has on the linkages in the screen shots here. Baseline at left, moved forward 3/4" on the right. Again, this is not MII geometry, I am simply using it for illustration.

You can see it has little effect on the instant center (the imaginary center of your turning radius, which should ideally be along your rear axle line); it stay just about 122 1/4". It does however effect the ackerman angle (shown as "NetStr") of the inside wheel relative to the outside wheel.

Attached Files:

27. Hmmmmn doing something with the firewall has been hot rodding 101 since before i was born and I'm getting pretty long in the tooth.

28. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I may be misunderstanding terminology here but my suggestion of move the rack down a bit would be the same as moving the spindles up, like when we put in shorter springs to lower a car, truck or what ever and yet we condone and recommend that all the time on here. What is the difference if you lower one end of the tie rod or raise the other end? As for notching the pan there is not a lot of room between the pan and the spinning crankshaft, rods etc. in the front of a stock 261 pan.

29. On a rack if your geometry is wrong you get bumpsteer. Moving up or down can be done but it is not for a novice to try unless said novice is willing to do his homework and deal with the problem accordingly.

here is the deal and I have said this before and no one paid any attention so I will talk to the wall once again. Hot rods and Customs are not bolt together, they take a lot of finessing of the parts that are to be used to make them all work together. It is going to make you dirty no mater how hard you try to stay clean, or you can pay someone else to do it. Then it will be their car and not yours.

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I love PnB's way with words....lol.