Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage My Journey to Beatersville 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdobbins, Jun 25, 2013.

1. sdobbins

sdobbins

Let me start off by introducing myself, as I reckon not many people tend to check into the Intro section regularly. In a nutshell, my name is Sam Dobbins, I am a photographer with a love for everything with an engine, and am lucky enough to call photographing cars (of all types) my profession and career. If you're still interested in me for some reason, you can read my intro here.

I've been lurking around the HAMB for several years now, just haven't posted up, but I figured what better time, and way, than this.

I happened to be visiting a friend in Chicago a few short weekends ago, driving out there from Shepherdstown, WV, and caught wind from a friend in Louisville of a kick-ass hotrod show called Beatersville. I looked into it, and found that Louisville was only a couple hours out of the way on my return trip, so I indulged and changed my driving itinerary around a bit. I left Chicago before dawn on Sunday, the 27th, and made my way south, with Beatersville in my sights!

I'd been rather consumed the previous couple weeks with bringing our company down to Georgia for a big VW/Audi event called Southern Worthersee, and it just slipped my mind that I was going to be passing through Indianapolis, on the day of the one and only, Indy 500. To my surprise, I encountered nearly no traffic and an almost unbearable desire to divert my course to check out the race from afar. Just after passing through Indy I stumbled upon a quartet of motorcycles on the shoulder, and, always traveling with a full tool kit, stopped to help.

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 029 by More Than More

A couple moments passed, and my new friends and I were back on the road, only a couple hours outside Louisville.

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 036 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 019 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 050 by More Than More, on Flickr

After a quick stop to regroup, once across the stateline, I was reminded of just how small this world is, when the fifth member of the group arrived, who happens to be an old friend of mine from the VW community, and an insanely talented fabricator!

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 065 by More Than More

As soon as we arrived, I was overwhelmed like camel on a Wednesday (if you're privy to the new Geico commercials, haha). Beatersville, on first glance, was amazing, and I wasn't even inside the gate yet!

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 073 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 079 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 095 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 155 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 167 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 200 by More Than More

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 188 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 295 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 296 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 341 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 458 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 540 by More Than More, on Flickr

Before I knew it, the afternoon was evening, the sun nearly down, and the real festivities were about to begin, concluding what had been an awesome day and drive, filled with fantastic cars and people.

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 548 by More Than More, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beatersville 2013 - 569 by More Than More, on Flickr

If you're interested in seeing around 370 more photos, please don't hesitate to check out the full set (as HAMB only allows 20 per post) by clicking here!

I would also love the community's feedback on a post like this, demonstrating photos from an event—or feature shoot if the opportunity arises—versus just posting a photo and a link to our gallery and/or website where we are currently developing a bit of an online magazine type of feel. Let me know your thoughts, and don't be bashful, I've been around the block with online forums, so my skin is thick to say the least. :)

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. Speed~On

Speed~On

Thank you for sharing your great photos. Looks like you captured the spirit of the event.

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Really cool post and pics,definitely will be checking out the full link to your photos which by the way are very nice. Welcome to the HAMB and thanks for sharing your experience and pictures with us.

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

WOW......Great job you captured the event soooo much netter that sterile car shots that give no feeling of an event..way to go..............

6. Super Job,,,good eye

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Nice Pix.
    Welcome to the HAMB.

VR&C.

8. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

nice pics thanks

9. Thanks for the interest int the event and the effort!!!!!!!! A+ Tim

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Outstanding photographs of a very cool looking Hot Rod show!

11. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Wow Gent,
    Thanks for sharing the great virtual tour, looks like a killer event, again Thanks

12. sdobbins

sdobbins

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! It was a fantastic event, which, from my experience always makes it a lot easier to photograph and accurately portray the atmosphere. :)

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

GREAT PICS!

Thanks for posting.

By the way... it's HUMP DAY, YAAEAA !!

Rich

14. BSHOVELSR

BSHOVELSR

Sam, great coverage. I was there shooting also, but still working on processing. Really enjoyed your prospective, it's like I was behind you as you put together your shots.
    BSHOVELSR

15. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

16. wizzo

wizzo

Awesome set of pics! You're really good at that stuff! Thanks for sharing!

17. Great pics. Beatersville is always a great show/event. I didn't make it this year, but the pics reflect the vibe of the past shows.

18. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Thank you. GREAT pics!

19. Great pics Sam, but I already knew they would be.

(Who would have thought a young guy with an import could appreciate and be into cool old stuff too ;) )

I have to go there next year . . . .

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  20. I LOL'ed at the "STOP" sign moonroof.

21. sdobbins

sdobbins

Haha! I was hoping someone would catch the reference! :)

Thank you very much, sir! I'll try and keep an eye out for your photos too, but if you don't see me take notice please message me. :)

Thanks man, it was really an awesome event to say the least! I've been to various types of car shows all around the country, and the hardest thing to achieve, it seems, is a rad vibe, and Beatersville definitely has that nailed. Perhaps we'll bump into one another next year!

Thanks Paul, it's nice to see a friendly face from real life on here! I may have been mixed up in that German shit a few years back, but my heart is still in the right place, haha! I'm just fortunate that my work and dedication in the Euro stuff has allowed me the opportunity to travel to new, more interesting and satisfying events such as this (and Jalopyrama!). Next year I'll be happy to caravan to Kentucky with ya, it wouldn't be the first time the Passat has been a support vehicle for a classic Ford...:eek:

Thanks again to everyone for the great response and kind words. I'll be happy to post our show coverage and such in the future if it's something y'all would like to see. :)

22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Always love seeing photos of the car shows and cruises I miss. Welcome to the HAMB and thanks for posting your pictures. Look forward to seeing many more.

23. sdobbins

sdobbins

Thank you guys very much! Hopefully there will be a lot more to come! :)

24. 5fiver

5fiver

Thanks for taking the time to post. Great pics!

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Great pictures. Thanks for showing them here.