Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need Y-Block help...please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadagent2, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

My y-block (272) with a Fordamatic starts fine, but dies when put in gear. The motor is fully rebuilt and has everything new. Once I do get it rolling by double peddling, it dies and won't restart at the first stop. Fuel system is also all new from tank to carb. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do next. I can't drive the car because it strands me all the time.:confused:

Any tips or help from the experts out there would be welcome!

Thanks to all!

2. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Almost sounds like a massive vacuum leak, maybe the booster is leaking really bad. I'm presuming that it fires right back up after it dies? Or a intake gasket was put on wrong and thats whats leaking. While its idling, use a spray bottle on the intake and carb and see what it does.

3. easyissy

easyissy

Yup, sounds like a vacuum leak for sure

4. thats my guess too.. check for leaks first

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

gotta be a vacuum leak somewhere for sure.

6. kruzr_1

kruzr_1

Don't recall if that trans has a vacuum modulator valve or not....but check that and the vacuum line to it if it has one.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not that this IS your problem, but I once tracked down a problem exactly like this one on an old Ford. Turned out to be a bad COIL! worked fine at idle, but when you put a load on the engine (putting it in drive) it cut out. Funny...it would not do it when put in reverse, I guess the gear ratio of the trans had something to do with it.
    If nothing else shows up, try a good coil.

8. yblock292

yblock292

2nd that on the coil, they can do real weird stuff!

9. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I have a vacuum gauge and its reading 15 to 17, I will check everything for leaks and address the coil. It does react more like it is missing power, so the coil might be the ticket!

Thanks guys ...its good to have your help!

10. Ole don

Ole don

The gasket sets come with two sets of intake gaskets. One for the 1954 239, and all the rest. There is very little difference, one needs to hold them all together to see the difference. Put one of the wrong ones on and they do strange things. Also, when under load, the distributor breaker plate moves. If the little wire has a worn spot on it, it can ground. You say it wont die when in Reverse. Try low, also a lower gear.

11. Tacho

Tacho

I have got a similar issue going on with my Y. I went through the ignition and fuel and sounds choppy like I got two spark wires crossed and then dies . So now I am going to replace the intake manifold gasket because I think the sandwiched wire mesh isnt keeping things tight enough. It also looked a bit soggy with gas and water. Couple years ago I put the same Fel Pros on the exhaust when I got ram horns and it burned right through and nothing but mesh was left around the ports. Waiting on the all fiber Best intake gaskets now. Let us know how it goes.

12. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

I was going to say make sure the coil is wired right,Seems to me I wired one up backwards once with same problem.:confused: