Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tom Willfords severe health condition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j.willford, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Nightshade

Nightshade

Talked to him once or twice out at Woodburn, always seemed to be a good guy with a positive attitude and a true love of all thingss car related.

Positive thoughts out to your dad and your entire family.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Damn...thats crappy news....I was wondering why I hadn't seem him around.
    Pulling for him...he's one cool drag racer guy.

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Prayers Sent for you and your Father. Met him in the early 90's when he opened his shop up too me, a stranger, when I was traveling thru Washington. He's a Great guy, tell him I'm looking forward to seeing him again at Billetproof in August! Rocky

4. Spoke to Tom briefly on the phone today. He was quite drugged up and had just woke up with the phone call. I did not get to much information except he has cancer of the bladder. I will call him in a few days. This makes me so sad I can not tell you. I will try to keep all of you updated as I find out more info. I told him he has a lot of friends and we were all pulling for him. Get better Tom. Jason, Stay strong and be there for your dad. He needs you now more than ever.--Dale

5. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I'm in shock. Why Tom. Your dad is one of the best guys you could ever meet. When I was building my 36 Willys I was told about Tom and his garage. I called him about 36 Willys parts, he said if you come up and help me get some Willys in Eastern Washington. You can have all the parts of from one of the 36s. I help him and he help me. We have been friends for over 20 years. These are photo's from years ago. Tom is the vintage hot rod parts master. Check out his garage. Tom, I will pray for you.:(

Attached Files:

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i met your dad at the chrr a few years back great guy! i knew of him threw dave crain. hoping the best for him.

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

He seems like a cool dude and a bad ass racer, thoughts and prayers headed your way!

8. magooz

magooz

You are one GREAT son, and I can't believe this is happening. We all go back a long, long ways, as you know. Thought the world of you in the 80's and still think of you all the time now that you're grown up. Your father Tom is a real fighter like you said. We all loved him from day one. Sorry for this.
    Please keep me MAGOO in the loop so we might be able to pay him a visit, and or what ever we can do to help you.
    Your Friend Ken McCandless "MAGOO"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  9. j.willford

j.willford
    from portland

Thank you all for the positive feedback.Yes my pops is one of a kind.My best friend.This is hard for me to digest all of this at once.stay focused and pray hes gonna pull through.i wouldnt have made it this far with my knowledge of mechanics & cars without the help from my dad and all the good friends and people that know tom.hes hanging in there.fighting something that u ask why me.???i will keep posting of how hes doing.

10. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

WOW I did not Know i talk to Tom about 1 a month or so Hope he will be ok SAD news

Trouble

11. Thank you for calling me today Jason with an update on his condition. Nothing new to convey to the board. Stay strong .

12. madbrit

madbrit

Sorry to read this about Tom. Missed seeing him at CHRR last year.
    Our thoughts and Prayers are with him and his family.
    Peter.

13. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Jason, we have never met-but I met your father in the 80s with my dad-Nick from CT.
    I cant say how sorry we are to hear about your dads health. He is in our prayers.
    Sounds like you and I have similar relationships with our dads, I cant even imagine. Be strong, things will work out.

14. I remember meeting Tom years ago at a race in the Northwest, can't remenber where though. What a great guy tom talk to. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

15. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

We Were at SIR with our Willy's, Tom with the Bizio Pickup, me with the Blownhell Willys for a Match race, about a thousand feet my car got loose,but I was quite aways in front of Tom, so I got out of it, Tom went by me SOOO FAST I thought he was going to spin me out!! all with hand controls! Tom never let any of his problems slow him down, so I'm sure this is just a bump in the road for Tom "THE THUMB" !! Your Pal Chris

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one of my favorite shots of Tom, I would say he was destined to be a Hotrodder/racer!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

Sorry to hear this about your dad. I've never met him in person but spent a lot of time on the phone with him when I first started to build my willys pick-up. Very classy and knowledgeable man! Definitely praying for him and his family!

18. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Marty that is the best!! what a shock I t has been a about 2 months that I spoke to him very hard news to take

Trouble

19. bowtie40

bowtie40

He's a great Fella, I and so many are so much richer to know your dad, all our prayers are being received.

20. GARY?

GARY?

Hey J, glad to see you made it to the HAMB. Really sorry that it's to report your dad's ill health. You guys are family.

It's great reading a little from everybody that knows and cares about him.

Here's wishing the best for the Wilfords, hotrodders to the core.

21. Great picture Marty. That is awesome. Wish there was something I could do. You feel so helpless in time like these.

22. dogcatcher33

dogcatcher33

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad--great man and to the sport!! My prayers are with him and family!!!
    bob

23. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Prayers for Tom and your family and friends.

24. southern thunder

southern thunder

Don't know Tom, but read alot about him, seems like a great guy, and I think I read he served our country as well, Thanks Tom, all the Willford family are in our prayers. May GOD bless.

25. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

sorry to hear of your dads bad health. I was looking for him to be at the graham swap meet. my thoughts and prayers go out to tom, you and your family.

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

He was a "Chopper Pilot" in Vietnam !

27. Tom, my prayers to you and your family.

28. verde742

verde742

I met Tom when I was a judge at the Portland Roadster Show in the 70's, ( I think,)
    mayble late 60's, he was swinging from CABLES, building his own home, after losing use of his legs,, He was sumthin, ...nuthing he couldn't do. Great MAN..

Bob

29. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I am so sorry to hear about Tom, great guy and a real car guy. I was very blessed to visit Tom at his home and see his collection years ago when I was picking up a funny car body in Washington. I could have spent a week drooling of his stuff! Your in my prayers my friend!

Dave McCauley

30. rfraze

rfraze

Man, this is a shot to the gut! We will all keep a good thought for you and your family, brother. This is another opportunity for Tom to be such a great example for us all.

There are a few more posts from and about Tom over on Modern Nostalgia Drag Cars thread.