Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build thread for my 64 Marauder "midnite marauder"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by helton66, May 23, 2013.

1. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

Hey everyone I am just now getting to making my build thread. I am by no means a pro but just a car guy that loves to tinker and change things up and around. The story of this car goes like this: I put an APB out for a new project and a friend on facebook said that he had this. At first I was reluctant as I have never heard of this car except in a 2 door. I went to check it out. It sat beat up in his yard for over a year. So a deal was made for $1400. Too much in my opinion at the time but my wife liked this project, not sure why though. But if she liked it, I know she won't mind me building it.
    Here's how I first saw it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty rough I thought, vandalized by PO girlfriend.

interior was just as rough...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

engine was actually not too bad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after I gave it a bath the next morning ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I had artist Johnny Jalopy draw up for me for inspiration.

[​IMG]

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Love those big Mercs

3. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Looks like it cleaned up pretty good.

4. froghawk

froghawk

Glad you rescued it! Shame the p.o.'s ex-gf. vandalized the back window. Kinda looks like the p.o. vandalized it himself with those wheels and tires!

Your plan looks great.

5. X2 on ditching the shoes... put 'em out for the garbage man with a $20 bill taped to them. Otherwise I dig the big Mercs.

Bob

6. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

...continued ..

more interior pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so I rented a shop from a buddy for a while until I had more funds for windows and to keep her dry for a while... so I did bodywork just hammer and dollie and some shrinking because someone beat the roof good. and I welded up some holes from badges, and also did the floors in undercoat and 3m noise barrier...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not a bad start, of course I replaced the donk 20's for supremes, these are original 70's supremes , may need to rechrome them or powdercoat them eventually but they are good as is.

[​IMG]

a windshield was put in but cracked at the end of install so I will be getting another one soon but driving as is for now. I also installed the rear window and got the beast running. I found new gauges as the original dash was smashed in. and also purchased the air ride setup and installed that just last week. still fine tuning that though, need to install shocks and switch out the pressure switch. Its coming along slowly.

Before air ride....

[​IMG]

Non photoshopped after pic..

[​IMG]

Locked up pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is where I am at at the moment I did clean up the engine bay no pics though and also just sprayed some primer temporarily over the roof.

whew ... let me know what you guys think thanks ... also looking for inexpensive parts

7. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

Thanks yeah the wheels sold for 400 bucks believe it or not! enough for me to buy the supremes from a friend. The back window was actually a pain in the ass to get in this model. new they are 335 dollars, but scored one for 100 at a local yard. This guy has two 64's a merc parklane and a galaxie so I am getting as much as possible. Had to switch out the power steering hose and other misc.

8. Much better on the wheels! The Galaxies share common parts, so grab what you can grab.

Bob

9. estes

estes

Love it! Looks killer with the supremes!!

10. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

[​IMG]

a shot of me doing some work after the rear end was done..

[​IMG]

before we did the front..

11. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

yep thanks!

12. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

thanks man!

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

Looks killer bro.

Love the name !!!!!!!!! .......... , my last car was called "strobelight honey" , current build is "black steel in the hour of chaos"

Keep the updates coming !

L

14. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

Nice lgh1157 appreciate the good vibes!

15. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

thanks a lot man!

16. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

So yesterday update!
    I was waiting in the mail for a new oil pan because it needed replacing and got duped off ebay so I decided to weld up a nut to the drain plug to fix the leak, no pic yet but I should have it in tomorrow and start running her around again. I hate when she sits for too long.

17. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I know a guy that has a 4 dr Marauder also, it needs a home, also. But you are coming along good on yours.Randy

18. The Supremes would look killer with the centers powder coated. The tires are perfect.
    I like it! Not your regular cruiser, big enough to be comfortable, new enough to be comfortable. I don't think the price was too bad. You will see worse at the swap meets for as much.
    Have you decided on an interior? How hard were the bags to do?
    Keep us in the loop. Thanks, Mike

19. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

if you send me your email address i can send you some useful pdf files , like the crossrefernce numbers and interchangable parts for these cars.

20. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'd LOVE to see you block the front wheels when you jack up the back end of that thing in that sloped driveway.

Sold my 2 door 64 Marauder (MINT) custom on here about 2 years ago....regretted it ever since.

21. lgh1157

lgh1157

Are those supremes reversed ?

Any rubbing issues down low ?

Looks killa

L

22. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

Yeah they are reversed 14x7 and yes there is some rubbing in back just a tiny bit so all i did was put a 2x4 and a big convincing hammer and flattened out the inner fender metal and it solved the problem. I don't drive it that low anyway just a smidge higher than it sits just to clear any rubbing anyway.
    thanks

23. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

thanks for the love

24. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

I actually thought about -afraid to say- but plasti dipping the centers simply because it will peel off if i do not like it. The price after all was not too bad in todays times it seems Its just i am used to paying under a thousand for any project. Interior I want to do white vinyl. The bags were not too bad at all i did a simple air over leaf like my previous cars. and in the front just a simple cup , more time consuming than anything. I am not a wiring guru so a buddy of mine did most of that.

25. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I think I have most of the trim thats missing in the photos if you need it. There were a couple 4drs in fairly local yards to me so I got a lot of trim just because it was 64 Merc

26. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Don't worry the Parking break should hold!!! Oh yea maybe not (sarcasm)

27. Rob68

Rob68

Looks cool. Had a 64 Cyclone that we really miss, not as big as that Marauder, but I sure dig those year Mercs. Good luck with it.

28. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

if those seats are leather they might clean up nice. I heard a while back on a post if you use lanoline liberally applied it brings them back soft as new. gotta love the marauders

29. big M

big M

Nice find! The 4-door fastbacks are fairly scarce, I've only ever had a handful of them here.

---John

30. helton66

helton66
    from tampa, fl

Whoah been a few since I have been on last , thanks for the great comments! I do have all of the trim and a local yard that has a car like mine. I am stripping it for primer soon. As far as the pic I took one for ya but haven't loaded it yet, and the seats are all ruined , this car was vandalized and they were all sliced. Oh well
    ***update I registered it and flushed the radiator and took her on a cruise to work and she drove great I really felt good driving an old car again!!