Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1950 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Surfcityrocker, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Great improvement!

2. Dear lord! I might have to go this route for tires for my 50 as I just had a bad alignment mess up my WW Firestone Bias Ply.
    I will state, I kind of liked the looks of it without the fender skirts on! I just recently decided to keep my "ass end bare", the WW's just make it seem right.

3. Hi, I chose the BFG bias because of the 3 5/8 Whitewall - I wanted to have a WW as big as possible. Firestone is a bit smaller: 3 1/4 WW.
    Lukas

4. looks killer man!! l vote for no skirts ... show off them new shoes!!!

5. lost39

lost39
    from Austria

Hi Lukas.

Ja das ist meiner. Bin jetzt an der Karosserie dran. Muss nicht schweissen. Ist auch ein real Californiacar. Hab von deinem Merc schon gelesen. Weiss auch das er vom Düringer kommt. Lässt Du deinen so, oder hast was vor mit dem Dach?? ;-)

Gruss
    Christian

6. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

SurfCity and Christian, what part of Austria are you guys from? (Is that a Wien plate on the Merc?)
    My wife is from Styria...lots of trains there but not much else!

7. Hi,

I'm from Upper Austria (north of Styria), but I'm living in Vienna since 2006. Yes it's a Wien plate. Will be moving back to Upper Austria soon - living costs much lower, more space to work on my cars, nicer people.
    Vienna is no place for a flathead powered 1950's car - too much traffic, too hot in summer, many narrow roads.

I think Christian is from Vorarlberg.

Where have you been in Austria? The south of Styria and Graz is very nice, the north is very hilly/mountainous and only forests, forests, forests.
    I bought my Merc from a guy in northern Styria, he sold it because he was fed up with crawling over steep mountain roads and through deep, narrow valleys with the Flathead.

Greetings, Lukas

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I never would have picked that wheel color... but man, do I like it...

9. Sehr cool! Die Olds Kappen passen auch sehr gut drauf!

Great job!
    Oh, and I like it better with skirts...

Baumi likes this.
  10. 63comet

63comet

Oh shit! Did I start a trend? Is gold the new black the new red? :)

All kidding aside, it looks great. A very good use of those pennies!

11. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

wow, that looks great, fit the car perfect. i too like it w/out the skirts. i like the tu-tone, very classy, just not a fan of those flames, on that car. again, nice looking merc.

12. Agreed!

Also I know they say wheels/tires make or break a car BUT damn! That looks a millions times better!:cool:

13. Thanks Ryan and everyone else! Means a lot to me!

14. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

My wife's town is near Liezen and we've been back several times over the years. Usually just in time to follow the Ennstal Classic rally. There's nothing like chasing after the last rally car with a diesel Audi rental car :)
    We've done all the touristy stuff - Vienna, Salzburg, the drove up the GrossGlockner, got a speeding ticket from a radar box...Fun stuff!

Look me up if you ever need a connection in the states

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm aghast at the difference the wheel color made...the pic with the bare painted wheels said, "Aggghhhh!"

Then you snapped the caps on. Like a set of 'subtle sombreros'...So Tasty!

You, Sir, have vision.

16. Poor Mator

Poor Mator
    from Maryland

Old Mercs are bad!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 52ragtop

52ragtop
    from Nebraska

I love it,, don't care for the skirts but otherwise totally cool.

18. The next step in reworking my Mercury will hopefully start soon.

One of the previous owners had problems with overcharging, so the battery blew up several times. Unfortunately they did not wash off the acid and the recently reworked engine started to rust everywhere as can be partly seen in this pic:

[​IMG]

I am planning to repaint the block and clean/derust all affected parts and put on some chrome. Also the intake is from an earlier flathead without the draft tube and with a completely worn out 94 holley (vacuum leak), which I want to replace for this Edmund 8AB intake (bought here on the HAMB and had it polished) and a pair of reworked Holleys. Now that I have acquired all necessary parts I only need to find time to start:

[​IMG]

Here's a recent pic of the car, also my new avatar. As can be seen I have finally decided to leave the skirts off.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Dangerousdan and Stogy like this.
  19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the stance of your car. I can't stop looking at it... It's awesome.
    Tires & hub cap combinations... great all the way around.
    Do you have any info on how much the front and rear are lowered?

20. Jim J

Jim J

Nice.

How come you didn't go with 7.10s?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. That really made it complete, looks great!

22. Crap my merc is still sitting outside and this guy is cruising one in Europe! I suck.
    Great improvement, like the caps and tires. would have never guessed that wheel color would look that good.

23. I went with the 6.70s because the fat radial tires I had before always touched the fenders. I have an old MPB disc brake conversion and that seems to have moved the front tires more towards the fenders (I don't know the proper expression for this in English). So I thought the smaller tires might fit better - in fact it is better than before but in certain situations they still touch the fender a bit.

On the rear it has 4'' blocks, at the front shortened coils and the MPB disc brake conversion. I bought the car already lowered so I don't know how much they took out, but it must be lowered at least 3''.

24. Great transformation, like the stance too.

25. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Service and vegates if I spelled it right, Love your car looks awesome.

26. robertsregal

robertsregal

Wow Huge differance, I Like It!!

27. Nice looking Mercury, Surfcityrocker!

28. desotot

desotot

Looking gud, das isht nice!

29. ChriGall

ChriGall

Servus! :D

Fesche Karre & coole Felgen/Reifen Kombi !!!
    Hab Dei Karre letztes Jahr in Ölkam gesehen, war aber leider nur kurz dort..:(
    (hatte noch anderen Termin...Weiba :mad:)

Nur weiter so!!! > Subscribe

Schän Gruaß aus Linz Land! ;)

Chri

30. Robbievanb

Robbievanb

Seeing these pics convinced me to buy a set for my black 50 Shoebox coupe, not cheap though with shipping to the London England