Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can U Recommend a Quality Timing Light/Gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro-Nicky, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

Someone was assisting me with resetting the engine timing on my 454 and managed to drop the wires into the path of the fan belt system. I've long loved my Indictive Timing Tester and was amazed to find that there were no consise or clear advise based of price, ease of use between units anywhere on the internet anywhere I could find.
    I do no have a problem 'investing' in a tool that lives up to certain promises. But I wish someone could also tell me what the basic ranges of timing guns happen to be? Or how about who's been the top manufacturer of this product over the past 10 years?
    If you were going to write this, how would you propose it's substance be placed? I know I just need a new one pronto so I can get my ride to the racetrack A>S>A>P>! and my new engine together soon. Nitro-Nicky

2. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Actron is a brand available at most any auto parts store, but alas most new ones are all made of plastic anymore. Last one I got happened to be a steel cased one I got at a local yard sale. While most may say Matco or snap-on it's like saying kenmore or craftsman, just their name on something someone else makes, but lots more expensive in the case of the tool trucks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guess there are some timing lights that do some fancy stuff, but a good basic strobe light is the chrome Craftsman light that Sears sells. I have two of them and they do what they are supposed to do and aren't all that expensive.

Maybe they no longer even carry that chrome one, but they do carry this one that has some pretty good features for less than $90.

http://www.sears.com/tools-mechanic...edirectType=SKIP_LEVEL&sid=ISx20070515x00001d

Don

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My Snap-On light lasted 40 yrs. I replaced it with a 49.00 Craftsman TWICE! I don't know if my M.S.D. ignition killed them or just what happened. Got my money back and bought a Autozone model and it works perfect. I really would like to know what went wrong with the Craftsman lights. [weird]?

5. Go to a swap meet or garage sale, I've had them bought in lots and usually am lucky to get $5 for one.

6. cayager

cayager

innova brand . from $80-$120 depending on what you want.

7. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

I like certain of my tools to be an investment. When you live out in the sticks, you need some things to work and work well, without any SNAFU's, 'cause it's a long way into town to borrow one from a buddy. I do want one that will read out my RPM's. I'd pay the $120 if I were to get my money's worth.

Craftsman anything these days seem to be of such cut rate quality that I'm now suspicious to buy 'anything' of theirs unless it has the lifetime warenty. Thanks Guys; all your thoughts are greatly appreciated- Nitro Nicky

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. Buy a Ferret and be done , top notch, recommended by MSD ignition. I have several models and the cool part is, service parts available such as replacement cords and they just plug in. I love my self powered model for just the impulse cable to mess with.
    [​IMG]

10. Deuces

Deuces

I have the Craftsman "dial back" version that I bought in????...'95.. No problems yet!..:)

11. Ole don

Ole don

I paid 70 bucks at Sears for the good metal chrome case dial unit. Layed it on the salt for about fifteen seconds, now the dial back wont work, Sears not only wont fix it, they wont sell me parts to fix it. Good memories of the salt flats, and this one bad one.

12. madracr07

madracr07
    from Texas

I bought mine from Oreillys $89.00 and have used many times on my race cars.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

A basic timing light is often more accurate than the ones with a timing set back feature.Interference from spark plug wires can cause false strobing in digital lights.

14. Very true statement! And MSD says to never use a dial style light with their boxes and to never use the same car for battery power for the light, use another battery separate or a self powered timing light. Bad thing about the lights with a non replaceable cord is, just that! :D

15. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

All this info really confused me for awhile. I had no idea purchasing a replacement timing light would be so involved educationally! Thanks each and every one of you for putting the seperate spin (viewpoint) out there. Maybe it would be best for me to purchase two guns: another basic and one with a 'set back feature'. That way I'm covered from the 8N tractor, all the way up to the 88 Camaro.

I'll skip anything Craftsman though. It seems that all their tools have taken a nose dive off the dependability cliff these past couple of years. I've seen their television commercials offering to 'Price-Match' any of the Big Box Stores on lots of different power and/or Garden tools. My grandpa always raised me to pay a bit more $$ for a Craftsman Tool, because I'd be buying a Lifetime 'Investment'; not some Chinese Box Store throwaway that they won't even warrenty or carry parts for now.

So it looks like I should research the Matco/Innova/Snapon/Ferret for the Top End unit and just get a replacement cord for my old unit to work as the Basic Laborer Instrument?

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an old one you can have for free!----PM me with your email address, I'll send pix,---You pay shipping/mailing cost.----Don

17. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

Ah, you're from Bend! I try and take my wife up there every other year or so to camp on 'Little Cultis Lake'. If we get there early enough,the otter & beaver are more approachable; and the rock chucks have freshly shoved old silver coins out the top of their holes for my metal detector to find. I spent quite a few years living out by Silverton/Salem area in my youth and never stopped missing it! I'll send you my email info right now. Everyone on this HAMB board is so generous and helpful with each other! Thank you, Nitro-Nicky

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I have the same chrome one, bought it a Sears back in the early 70s. Last time I went to use it , no go. I figured it needed a bulb, but no luck finding one so far.

19. raven

raven

Best timing light?
    Your ear.
    r

20. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I gotta agree about sticking with a good-quality basic light and avoiding the fancy dial-back-to-zero lights. Keep it simple!