Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer solvent recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stovebolt55, Jun 24, 2013.

1. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

What are you using?

I need something that is safe, works pretty well, and doesn't cost a small fortune.

2. i'm using Stoddard Solvent......but if/when i replace it i will use Purple Power cut with water

3. Deuces

Deuces

Mineral spirits would be next... That's what we use when we run out of the "good stuff"...:rolleyes:
    With a quart of ATF added so it don't mess with your hands...

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I would try purple power or simple green concentrate for safety at home but remember as you clean stuff adding all the grease and oils to it it becomes more flammable. so you still want to keep the lid down on it.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't used it in a solvent tank but use Oil Eater on a regular basis to scrub parts and hose them off here at home. You do want to wear eye protection and it can irritate tender skin but it works pretty good. Some guys around here are putting it in their hot tanks mixed with water rather than caustic to hot tank parts with decent results and no bio hazard problems.

I've also got a gallon of Purple power that I haven't tried and Zep has some good cleaning products that you can find at Granger or even Home Depot. I'd think that their Big Orange cleaner would clean anything but it is rough on paint.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

I bought a cheapie 5 gallon parts washer at a discount tool store and installed a pump designed for petroleum-base solvents from McMaster.

I filled it with Mineral Spirits that you can buy at Lowe's or Home Crapo. Don't use the "odorless" kind!

Works really well! When it gets dirty, decant the clean solvent into a bucket and wipe up the sludge on the bottom. Pour back into the washer, top off with fresh solvent and you're good to go.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  7. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Purple power or another citrus based cleaner

8. Be careful with those 'safe' cleaners like simple green, etc. Most of those are very harmful to aluminum (the FAA has banned them from use on aircraft as at least one plane crash has been traced back to it, and the Army had to scrap a few 'copters due to airframe damage) and parts have to be thoroughly washed in water after cleaning. Castings in particular can absorb them... not good....

I'm sticking with paint thinner; not cheap, but fewer 'issues'. There is an 'aluminum safe' biodegradable cleaner available, but it's more expensive than regular solvent.

9. DirtyDirk

DirtyDirk

I use mineral spirits. Cleans good but tough on your hands.

10. We have a heated parts washer and the guys in back use hand cleaner in it. Does an amazing job and does not hurt the skin, in fact they wash their hats and gloves off in it!

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

ZEP Formula 50....

12. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

i use K-1 KEROSENE, get it at speedway, usually about $4.30 per gallon. [got lotsa comments about the plastic whiskey fifth bottle filled with K-1 in my service truck for the cleanup jobs away from the shop. K-1 will thin oil-based paints as well, about 1/2 the price per gallon.]
    just my two pennies.....
    red

13. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Stoddard Solvent.

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Mineral Spirts works great

15. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

Who makes the aluminum safe biodegradable cleaner?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. jkeesey

jkeesey

I worked for Sikorsky Helicopters when they switched from using Simple Green. They never explained exactly why but they said it would oxidize the aluminum and ruin the finish. I'm switching my washer to straight kero soon.

17. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

X2 for mineral spirits

18. jbtine

jbtine

Tractor Supply carries 5 gallon cans of parts wash solvent

19. banjorear

banjorear

was just about to post the same question. OK, any consenus on this? I'll be doing a lot of aluminum, but rather not have kero in the garage. Not attached to the house, but it does concern me that it's flamable.

20. fsae0607

fsae0607

As long as you have your solvent in the right container it'll be fine. Parts washer lids are damn near air tight.

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Kerosene is flammable, but not volatile like gasoline. Years ago I used gas to clean my parts with a coal burning stove nearby.Gasoline is very dangerous. I was lucky and got wiser when I got a little older. Now I use safety solvent in a parts cleaning tank with a flash lid. The price of safety solvent has risen in price greatly in the last few years. The water based safety clean should be heated to work real well. That is what the rep told me.

Ago

Ago

22. It's been a few years since I saw this so I can't remember, and the FAA approval was 'pending' at the time; it may not have been approved. But I do remember that it was very expensive; about double over paint thinner.

You can use these types of cleaners on aluminum, but you have to thoroughly wash/rinse them with water after exposure. DO NOT let them dry on aluminum.

23. M@

M@
    from Altus OK

At work we use "Ozzy Juice"... Seems to work pretty good, cleaned all the cosmoline off my Mosin Nagant

24. Do they still offer Varsol? HRP

25. fsae0607

fsae0607

Sadly, no. When I bought my parts washer, I researched what was best to use. I think Exxon used to make it, but the EPA put the kibosh on Varsol. Heard it used to be the shiznit for cleaning parts :mad:

26. Wow we can still get it in Canada and we are usually banning stuff before it gets banned in the U.S.

27. Back when I owned a paint store I had a 55 gallon crank tank that I sold Varsol buy the quart and gallon. HRP

28. gas pumper

gas pumper

I've been using the low sulpher Diesel fuel in my washer. Works really good and does not evaporate fast or smell bad.

Parts I need to use right away I rinse off with the water hose. Parts that are cleaned up for later I just leave wet with the fuel rinse and let the fuel evaporate. It leaves a film on that keeps them from rusting.

All the black gunk stuff must settle out to the bottom, cause the fluid is always clean looking.