Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake lines.. Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by convict, Jun 22, 2013.

1. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Well here I go.. tryin to install brakes lines,never done but think I can .. any suggestions before I start any diagrams? I have a chassis mount master cylinder any help is good and appreciated its for a model a coupe

2. Just make sure you use a double flare.

3. Try running a wire mock-up first. My .02.
    Like they said above practice double fares.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I just finished mine today! I can post some pics tomorrow when I get to the shop.

5. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Yeah... Pics would be great!!!

6. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Trying to finish mine right now, not that hard really. X2 on the wire mock up.

7. 5brown1

5brown1

Use the nickel copper alloy brake line available from NAPA. You can bend it by hand easily and it flares easily. Leno had a Utube video of its use:
    http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/all-about-brake-lines/190260/
    It costs a bit more but more than pays you back with less frustration and time savings.
    If the link doesn't work just search for Jay Leno Utube brake line

8. bgaro

bgaro

buy extra line, don't be afraid to screw it up and do it over.

9. trollst

trollst

As mentioned, get some hard wire and premake your lines with the wire, then bend the lines following the wire pattern.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

As also mentioned, buy extra line, in case of a screw up; My '40 is the first I ever attempted, and it works. By making wire templates, you can work out what lengths of line to buy. Try to avoid using a coupling where it may become inaccessible after other components are installed. Double flaring is easy, use some scrap stock to practice with, in case you haven't done it.

Happy Roddin' ,

4TTRUK

11. Fenders

Fenders

What 36-3window and others said: <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    use pre-flared lines if you can , cuts down on double flares and possible leaks. you can mount the tees, residual valves, etc in places where you can take advantage of them

Why re-invent the wheel?

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Use coat hanger wire or other source wire for your templates.

Go look Ralph's website, ECI brakes in Ellington, CT before you start anything !

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, what fenders said !

4TTRUK

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Bend one direction front to back or back to front and use some short peices to mark and bend 90* 45* to use as templets

15. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

dont be affraid to redo any that arent spot on

16. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Not a hard job, dont forget to put the nut on the line before you do the flare..I know we have all made that mistake, doesnt matter how long you have been doing them.

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Why double flare ( which are a pain in the butt ). Why not steel AN fittings with a 37 degree flare

18. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Invest in a GOOD double flaring tool, NOT one of the $12.99 POS pieces most auto parts stores carry. I bought mine from Eastwood. It was NOT cheap, about $180, but I can made factory perfect flares in about 10 seconds, it can flare stainless steel, and work on line up to 1/4" ID (inside diameter). Once you have it, you WILL use it, and doing brake lines will no longer be a pain in the ass (relatively speaking, of course). Worth every penny in my book.

Chris

19. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I hate the AN type fittings. I have had several break on me(crack). Also when you need a fitting or line, you can't buy them at a regular auto parts store.

20. If you wind up using that greenish colored coated stuff - every single time I've done lines with that crap (the pre-made sections), they end up leaking somewhere. I think I have the fittings cranked down tight, but the pressure in the lines from a hard stop actually compresses the flares a little more and they leak. The only saving grace is the leak usually doesn't suck in any air, tighten the lines and top off and it's good to go, except for the mess.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes! I use wire to mock up all my lines, then go to the good auto parts store and find pre made lines with flares and fittings already on them. It's much easier, and still looks very nice when completed.
    I've done a lot of flared lines, and have the tools, but it's time consuming, and if you screw up a flare at the 2nd end, you just wasted that line, unless you can reuse it elsewhere.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I love AN fittings. They are every bit as good as the double flare stuff and are much easier to use. However, don't use the aluminum ones on brake lines ...only steel.