Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Philadelphia area Hot Rods + drags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goldy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Goldy

Goldy

Jim the Painter has lettered all my dragsters and funny cars for the last 35 years. Here are a couple examples.

URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/luapdlog/media/geezerwall8.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/luapdlog/media/coupeandmustang0851.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. My pleasure. ;)

3. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Goldy:
    I know Jim's work he is the best. I lived a few blocks away from him in Northeast Philly. When I moved here in 72 I made some T-shirts for him. That's what I have been doing in south jersey over the last 40 years. www.artgraphicsnj.com

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  4. Goldy

Goldy

thebrush: Here is a picture showing Jim the Painter's signature. Look just forward of the name GOOD VIBRATIONS you will see the little artist guy wearing a beret, bending over with dollars in his back pocket. That is Jim's signature.
    By the way, you can see Jim running his Blown Hemi Austin gasser at Atco in 1965 in the film clips of Atco posted earlier in this thread. Beware- he is pretty young in that film. Jim is still doing cars out of his garage in Telford, Pa.

[​IMG]

5. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Goldy:
    Thanks for the info about Painter I will try to contact him about an old friend from Philly I have been trying to catch up with, He might know how to reach him, they were good friends in the 60's and 70's. Painter used to have a place at the shore but I have not seen anything there that looks like it belongs to him.

6. Spike!

Spike!

7. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Thanks for the info on Painter I called him on Saturday. He had info on an old mutual friend. I am going to call this week.

8. ragsie

ragsie

Hatfield Speedway... Been there plenty of times. I even raced through the turn before they had you exit straight out instead. Good times. The track is LONG GONE!

9. Goldy

Goldy

I went to Shadybrook last Tuesday the 11th, clad in a HAMB teeshirt. No HAMBer's there except for my son Kenny (g bones 32 coupe) and myself. No Hot Rod Surfer, no banner !! What is up with that ???
    Tomorrow is Tuesday again and Shadybrook will be packing in the cars.

10. Goldy

Goldy

Looks like Shadybrook will not be packing in the cars tonight because it is raining. There is always next week.

12. Goldy

Goldy

No sweat Surfer everybody else thought the same thing. Last Tuesday night sucked!! Not a lot of cars and very few hot rods. You did not miss anything. Maybe next week on the 25th.

13. Goldy

Goldy

[​IMG]

Tomorrow night June 25th. I will be taking the old hot rod out to Shadybrook Farms cruise night. Hopefully there will be some HAMB folks there.

14. CHOP36

CHOP36

Goldy did you see the post about the 134 coupe that your Buddy was looking for car found out were it is.

15. Goldy

Goldy

Marwin; I never saw the post, but Ted called me on my phone to tell me about the discovery. I did not want to say anything until Ted had possesion. We have already discused how to get it transported back to Pennsylvania. I suggested that if a ride all the way to Pa. was not possible we could make a temporary stop to my sons place in Las Vegas. Maybe even fly out and make a few passes at the Strip at Las Vegas. My son has a super garage that we could service the fuel coupe to make some runs on the west coast before bringing it east.

P.S. what was the title of the post ? I'll look it up.

16. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Goldy,
    Tell Ted I'm flying to Reno, NV tomorrow and supposed to fly back on Thursday so I could drive that car back :)

On a more realistic note, I'll be out of town so will have to miss another Shady Brook meet this week.

Also Goldy, thanks for hooking me up with Andy G. He just did his deed on my front end and the car never felt so good since I've owned it. So I'll be ready for the Shady Brook after this one.

17. Goldy

Goldy

NickJT I am glad that Andy at AG Automotive was able to straighten out your car. He is super talented.

18. CHOP36

CHOP36

goldy ,don't know how to send link its #134 34 ford aa / ford coupe last post was sunday Marwyn

19. Goldy

Goldy

Thanks Marwin

20. JOHNP

JOHNP

Hi Goldy,still need a time and or place to meet up with you.My e-mail is jpb 1395 @verizon.net.Hope to hear from you soon.

21. JOHNP

JOHNP

Hi Goldy,Please e-mail me when you get a chance.My e-mail is jpb 1395 @verizon.net.

22. Goldy

Goldy

John P check your email.

23. Goldy

Goldy

[​IMG]

A few pages back I posted some pictures of the # 134 Fuel Coupe that we used to run in the late eighties. I know that the eighties does not qualify as an Old Time car but it is a Philadelphia car and it is a tribute / clone of the 554 Fuel Coupe and that is an old time car. The Mooneyham and Sharp 554 Fuel Coupe was a California car that ran on the lake beds in the forties, it ran 200 MPH at Bonneville, it ran drags in the fifties, and sixties. There is a movie clip of it running at Atco in the sixties earlier in this thread, when K&G Speed Associates ran it in yellow livery.
    I don't know where the 554 was during the seventies. At some point Gerry Moreland purchased the car and and resurected it back on the track in the eighties to make exibition runs. My friend Ted Brine decided to build a clone of the 554. We installed my old top fuel 392 Hemi and went exibition drag racing in the late eighties. In 1989 Ted sold the # 134 Fuel Coupe to Frank Spittle in North Carolina. That was the last time that Ted saw the car.
    A couple of years ago Ted went searching for the # 134 Fuel Coupe. A call to Frank in North Carolina revealed that he sold the car and it was believed to now be in in Washington state. Current investigation revealed that it was now owned by Walt Austin in Washington. When Ted called Walt, the response was that the # 134 Fuel Coupe had been in storage on display all these years and was not for sale. After Ted convinced Walt that he was the original builder and wanted to run the car again Walt agreed and a sale was made. So now we will be reunited with the # 134 Fuel Coupe, as it is going to return to Pennsylvania.
    I will be assisting with the tune up and the engine maintenance. As we did in the past, we plan to run a full load of nitro in the tank.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  24. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great turn of events! Congrats

25. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Great story and a happy ending ...or actually, I'd say a new beginning.

The ending "..full load of nitro in the tank" brought tears to my eyes and made me cough a little, too, but I like the smell of it.

26. Goldy

Goldy

I spent this last Saturday with Ted at the York Dragway Reunion at the York Fairgrounds in Pennsylvania.. Ted was displaying his 1969 Hemi Roadrunner. While we were there, a phone call verified that the #134 Fuel Coupe had been deliverd by common carrier to his home in Pittsburg. So it is official, the #134 Fuel Coupe is back on the East Coast and will be returning to active drag racing.

[​IMG]

27. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Perhaps the #134 Fuel Coupe can join us at the RJ Revival at Pimlico?

I pre-registered yesterday. Anybody else from around here going?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  28. Goldy

Goldy

Where is pilmlico ??

29. Mark T

Mark T

30. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA