Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest People amaze me-This time NOT in a bad way!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, Jun 24, 2013.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

People amaze me-This time NOT in a bad way!This isn't a bitch thread but more a WFT:confused:
    I was on a car talk show (on the radio) they have a Saturday car talk show called "Willie B's Garage" {KBPI} & all the end of the show they have swap meet time,where you can sell,buy,hunt for parts or pimp car shows or businesses.
    I tell the listeners that I'm looking for motor swap mount for my F100 build & some 38-40 Ford center caps {not hubcaps} throw my phone # out & go back to work on the truck.
    About an hour later my phone rings & I answer there this dude (Chris)stating that he has some F100 parts-- but not the parts I was looking for :confused: Ok? He has brand new still in the bag trim pieces & mirrors, I tell him I really wanted to get it running before I worried about the pretty stuff, He says I could have em for $50,I tell him I'll keep his # & get back with after I save up a little more cash because I really want to finish the engine swap first.well he ask what I do for a living :confused: I tell him I'm the Student Management person for the School Dist. that's why I'm building this on a super low budget---no-2-little $$,so then tells me "If I want come get them" again WTF:confused: for FREE!.........:eek: I drive the 17 miles to his farm & BAMMM! a whole box of NEW shinny parts.....now I have this ragged ass old truck with BLING! :cool: the only thing wrong is they're for a 55 & I have 53 W/ 55 grill :rolleyes:.I guess I've had worse problems lately !
    P/S I priced them out at LMC over $340.oo(that's where they came from)

Attached Files:

2. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Congrats, 55 on a 53 is pretty close. Go for it.
    Great guy to pass the love like that!

3. cavman

cavman

Nice, just goes to show not everyone is an a**hole...the hobby don't need anymore.

Pass it forward when you can.

4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Congrats, I would send him the $50 with a Thank you note when you have the cheese.

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

​Kind gesture indeed! It's good to read a little kindness is still out there in the world! Thanks for sharing a GOOD STORY!

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Oh I do! I've given a lot of parts away to guys with families & little $. I've made a bunch of buddies that way, I would rather see it go to use than sit waiting for me to do something with it or selling it~Chuck

He's building an little O/T truck (69chevy)& is needing some parts,so I plan on trading some extra parts I have for parts he needs,~Chuck

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, then he will be feeling the same way about you that you feel about him. :)

Don

8. "What do you do for a living?"
    "I'm a tweaker."
    [click]

What you experienced is the good helping the good ... pay it forward.

9. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I bought a 40 Ford on Ebay from South Carolina, I'm in Nebraska. He took my ElCamino in trade. Towing the Elky on a dolly to meet in St Louis. 1 hour west of St Louis the trans goes out on the tow rig. When we meet the 40 owner (Butch) and explain what happened, he offers to leave the Elky at the truck stop, tow our tow rig on his trailer back to Omaha, I'll follow in the 40, & he'll pick up the Elky on his way back thru to SC. Just couldnt accept his generous offer.

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

Sometimes a long story wont load here: so the rest of the story. This all happened on a Saturday at 400pm. My brother limped the towrig, a new Suburban with 7000 miles to the local Chevy dealer and they told him to come back Monday am. I drove the 40 back to Omaha Sunday with no problems and my brother was stuck in St Louis til Thursady cause they couldnt get the parts til then.

11. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Can't argue with free! Good score

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a ton of parts, some are going to get used eventually, others, most likely not. Most things I've gotten a deal on. A few years ago, I hit on the idea of donating some of the stuff as door prizes at the annual, end of the season banquet for Bremerton Raceway. My stuff taking up room becomes someone else's stuff taking up room, or they can sell/trade/give it away to help with their racing. Just my way of continuing to help support the track, even though I'm no longer directly involved with running things. I suppose I could try and sell some of the stuff, but dealing with the looky-loos, and Craigs List flakes offering half of your asking price, just is't worth it. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've helped strangers, given them super deals, even free stuff. Never heard from any of them again.

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

Wow that's awesome!

15. maybe a few beers or a good bottle of scotch in his mailbox? Cool story.

16. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

It's great to hear stories like these. When I was around 15 years old in the late 90's my family and I drove down to Danchuk. A fellow customer over heard my dad and I asking about only needing part of the tail light for a 56 Chevy and of course the price was out of our reach. The fellow customer starts a conversation and tells us about his son backing his 56 wagon and if I remember right him purchasing new tail lights. Asked for our address and he gave us his business card, which I'm sure we have lost by now. A few weeks later to our surprise a box arrived with a nice clean tail light. We did send him a thank you later, nice to know this sort of thing still goes on.

17. 5559

from tn

there are still a few people out there like that -good to hear about something nice instead of the usual story about getting ripped off

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Another good story. At the R.R.Rumble on Saturday I met a real nice family from Illinois who had 3 Ford Galaxies all lined up. Told them that my brother had bought a Starliner last week and we were just starting to realize that some of the moldings were missing. I pointed to the eye brow moldings and the son says, hold on a minute. He opened up his trunk and handed over a pair. Said he had been carrying them around for years and NOW he knew why. Had to force him to take a few bucks for them. Good people for sure!

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's always a blessing when you meet folks like that. I've had that happen quite a few times. A lot from folks on here. It makes me think there just might be hope for the world.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Nice score dude!

Whenever I call into that show to sell anything I hear crickets all afternoon.

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

feels good to find out there are still good people out there in the world don't it.ive given away alot more than i sold over the yrs.never really expecting anything in return.but what I usually got was a new friend.cant argue with that.back in the early 80s I had a 57 nomad parked at a friends house a few blocks away. my partner and I built tri fives and older cars so we usually had a few put back,along with engines etc. we had a young gun,maybe 19-20 yrs.old.with a wife and new baby and a shit job.but it was a job.he hung around my small shop in my backyard a lot at nite. he was always talkin about that 57 and what he would do if it was his.i was thinkin about sellin it for around 2000. to get more money for my 55 project. but this kid kept talkin,so one nite I asked him if he was serious about fixin her up. yes sir was the first thing out of his mouth. so I told him to come by the house tomorrow nite and we would load it up.i meet him there and he brings a borrowed trailer and we load it up.now this kid was crying his eyes out. never had seen that before. rememeber im only about 25 myself.and I got the wife and 2 kids thang goin on too. anyway we didn't see that kid for 2 weeks after that nite.then one nite we hear one bad ass car coming down the street. turns into my driveway and bingo its that damn wagon.also remember I had a fit to buy that wagon not to long before I give it away.he shuts her off and I ask him where the hell did you get the money to buy and build a engine and trans for his new wagon,. seems my good buddy also gave him my new engine build that I had at his house also.one hard hittin 327,12.5 to 1 205 heads forged steel crank ah hell you know where this is going...lol seems my buddy also liked this hard workin kid and gave him my new engine and a 400 trans.he did give him some of his stuff. he gave them the damn seats and a steering column and a wheel.lol.that kid cried like a new baby everytime we saw him. he would start cryin and given us hugs.man that was something you just didn't do in the early 80s..lol the last time I heard of him was a few yrs ago and he still had my car!!!if I knew that car would have looked that good runnin down the road I would have kept it for myself....lol sorry buddy didn't mean to steal your thread but I hadn't thought about this for a long time and thought it might fit here....