Register now to get rid of these ads!

City of Detroit To Sell It's Classic Car Collection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

They just got done demolishing a famous hotel that was built in 1905 this morning in downtown...:(

It was gone in seconds....:(

2. DarrenC

DarrenC
    from Romeo MI

I don't often post here....mostly sit back and absorb what I can, but this gets me a little wound up.
    I believe that these cars get rotated through the museums limited space. The last time I was there Cougar II was on display in the main hall and the time before that it was something else. The cars are all able to be seen - just 6 or 7 at a time...the museum isn't very large and covers all aspects of Detroit’s history. I can say with near certainty that with folks like Kustomrace involved the collection is currently in as good of hands as possible. The situation in Detroit has been a perfect storm…you could pick anyone to blame and you’d likely be right. The city that has kept us all from speaking German is in a terrible state of affairs and there is no one, two, or three things that will fix it. In my opinion , it would be very short sighted and foolish to sell off this or the art collection -but in these “Ready! Fire! Aim!” times – who knows what’ll happen.

Thanks to all of the experts from places afar that have never been here ,will never come here, or left because they couldn’t cut it here, for telling us just how fucked up our city is....we had no idea.

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Duo-Glide 1958 1st Harley w/a swingarm suspension & shocks.

4. F&J

F&J

I have never been there, but when I read the last Detroit thread on hamb, I used google street view to "walk" through the residential streets of the former car workers. I was pretty shocked to see no homes, just rural looking fields of tall grass, bushes, etc. Who would have forseen this, if you lived the boom years there.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, there you go, Perhaps if you had been paying more attention, things wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand!

Glad we could help enlighten you. BTW, I've been there several times, both metro and surrounding areas........

edit: I do have some empathy for you.....I live in Illinois....the fiscal 'train wreck' only rivaled by California.....

Ray

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  6. lizzard71

lizzard71
    from Phoenix AZ

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

Couldn't cut it there? That's like saying the residents of Chernobyl couldn't cut it there. Sorry, but you would have to be a few cards short of a full deck to live in Detroit when a tank or two or three of gas could get you a clean start in as city or town that doesn't suck.

Foolish to sell of the collectiion? Wake up. Nobody gives a dam about Detroit, especially 90% of the people that live there.

8. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Should probably speak for yourself.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Amen!!!....

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Couldn't cut it in Detroit? During the riots, I recall being shown how to use a gun-at age 8. My Dad made the mistake of working a bit past dark one night in downtown. While driving home on Jefferson, he ran a roadblock setup by a gang of thugs=several bullet holes in the side of his Fairlane. Yeah, he couldn't "cut" being shot at so he moved our family to Socal. That was 45 years ago, and the city has been hell ever since. Never been back.
    It's really a shame too, because Detroit was once one of the proudest and mightiest cities in the world.

11. Vanner68

Vanner68

They can line up bulldozers at 8 mile road and start pushing everything into the river for all I care.

12. kustomrace

kustomrace

Ok..Couple things...The collection is owned by the city,but any collection of any size displays less then 5% at any given time.The reality of "see them any damn time" is a bit much. There was a time that we displayed 20 or so cars at a time,before the Cadilliac body drop was installed,but we have become more interpretive..We have about 25 cars out on loan,so people CAN see them...Our turbine car is at the Gilmore,Our Scarabs(yes we have several) are at Owls head in Maine.I would be willing to give a tour of my building,if we can get enough people together.The collections building is in a secure location,On the grounds of Historic Fort Wayne,on Jefferson and Livernois in southwest Detroit....Thanks for the positve responses Dave

13. kustomrace

kustomrace

Oh..and the Duo-Glide is a 1963,Original,unrestored,one owner with the road king package and the chrome package..Great bike.

14. James427

James427
    BANNED

Why? it's not like it's a secret that Detroit sucks. It's not like nobody noticed that the VAST majority of the people that live there don't give a dam about there OWN city, their OWN neighborhoods and even their OWN houses and properties. I used to live there and saw what it WAS like and what it WAS becoming and know what it IS now, a DUMP full of violent homicidal morons that can't hold an intelligent conversation if their lives depended on it. I grew up near Greenfield and Grand River. You used to be able to walk there, shop there and live in peace. I give you a 50/50 chance of walking a mile down Grand river now and surviving.

The funny part is that everyone that lives there knows it too, they just won't admit it because what does that say about them and their choice to live there? And it IS a choice...

15. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

It's all just soo sad.

How did this all start?
    Was it the unions and their demands?
    Was it the downturn in the economy, maybe 7 years ago-ish?

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

James427...Your choice for a positive, humble, gracious attitude towards those that might not be as fortunate as yourself is inspiring beyond words.

This thread was bound to become a trainwreck of political opinions.

17. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Dave sounds like a great caretaker and probably a great Detroiter too. The people i know in Detroit wouldn't want to live elsewhere.

18. F&J

F&J

I assume you are quite young? No insult intended. I think it started way back in the late 50s recession...Packard going out could be the first big sign of what was coming. Think of the other car makers not inside Detroit like Edsel, DeSoto and Stude...going going...

The great depression put a big hit on prosperity for over 10 years, and all those lean years turned around in 46 with returning Vets and it's effects on US spending ability. Rebuilding the rest of the world post-war added to the feeling of perpetual prosperity. But it was just a glitch, just like any other up cycle. But, then, foriegn countries cars got in the mix, and the domination/monopoly crumbled.

The last big time "showing off" was the 64-65 Worlds Fair in NY. The car makers really put on their best suits for that one last time. Very, very impressive... Looked like it would never end.

but it ain't coming back, things change, life reorganizes... change or perish.

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

I think it really started with the Riots. That started the "white flight" and with it, the tax revenue that left with them. My dad was mugged a block from our house. My minibike I mowed lawns for two years to buy was stolen from me and people tried to break into our house twice while I was home. My girlfriend's uncle was murdered and had his head bashed in with a radio in his bedroom. I was attacked three times walking to school, all by blacks. It was open season on white people in Detroit and still is. Nobody wants to admit the obvious, but it was blacks that killed Detroit. Once they were majority voters they voted in crooked thieves like Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick. They weren't elected and re-elected because they were qualified or doing a great job, they were elected because they were black. There is no saving Detroit now. Nothing ANYONE can do will save that city. Sell off the assets and shut it down and let whoever stays fend for themselves.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

I don't know what you mean by "fortunate". I left Detroit with an old pick up truck and $1200 and never looked back. It was the best and smartest decision I ever made. Anyone with a car and enough gas money to drive 500 miles can start over in a place where you actually have a chance at a decent life.

I have a saying.... you deserve what you tolerate. The people that stay in Detroit deserve whatever hardships they encounter because they tolerate living in a hell hole. You don't have to be rich to leave Detroit, but you do have to have some common sense.

22. F&J

F&J

can you erase 49. The mods will poof the entire thread if they see that .

some of us are wanting to discuss history of automakers

23. James427

James427
    BANNED

Racist? What does racism have to do with the truth? I was THERE. I watched it crumble and I SAW what went on there. Everyone that lives in or near Detroit knows this and most are just afraid to state it. You included.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blaming the downfall of Detroit on the blacks is the most racist statement I've ever seen here.

I'm ashamed of you.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't judge a whole race...you fuckin' moron racist.

26. James427

James427
    BANNED

Really? Where did half of the population of Detroit go? Which demographic left? Check your census records and then view the expanding population of the outlining areas. It's not racism if it is the truth.

27. James427

James427
    BANNED

I am not judging an entire race. Only stating the facts of what occurred within a specific demographic in Detroit. The questions was asked WHY more than half the people left Detroit (taking the tax revenue with them) and caused it to die. I was among the half that left and as such I am qualified to answer WHY that half left.

It is a FACT that Detroit, the city is dying if not dead already. It is also a FACT that the widely reported reason for this is that is was a city built for 1.5 million people and less than HALF of that number now lives there. It is a FACT that the declining revenues from the tax base of the more than half of the 1.5 million former residents that left is what has placed Detroit (the city itself) in the condition it is in. So the ONLY question being sidestepped, pussy footed and ignored is WHY half of the people left the city of Detroit.

What IS racist and IS being ignored is the racism expressed by blacks against whites in Detroit and the resulting exile that caused. It is NOT racism for a race under attack from a very racist group to flee that group for self preservation. Are all blacks in Detroit like this, of course not. But that doesn't change WHY half of the population left.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bullshit. You're perfect proof that you can't reason with a fuckin' moron.

29. James427

James427
    BANNED

And you are proof that the people that live in or near Detroit are still in denial. If it is such BS, then where did half of the population go? What were the ethic makeup of those that left? What was the ethnic make up of those that stayed? How has the living conditions and lifestyle changed decade by decade from say the 50's through today? How have those crime rates changed over those same years?

If you have any facts to provide that disprove this then please, by all means share with the rest of the class.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.