Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fire extinguisher in my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Jun 23, 2013.

1. I don't drive my '58 without my fire extinguisher on board. I have a 10# unit mounted on the floor horizontally in front of my seat. Running 3 dueces and all the fuel line connections that are required for that set up, the potential for a leak and fire are just too great.

2. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I'll be out buying a couple this week. What was I thinking not having any. Thanks for the reminder

3. The_Monster

The_Monster

Mike, that spot is the raddest spot. The only time it sucks is if I'm working under the dash. Then I have to remove it and the harness. Other than that, its never been a problem, its in plain view and easy to excess.

Ill get the comments like, "Damn man, are you expecting a fire?!!" Those are the types of people that will rely on me to have an extinguisher when their shit is in flames.

I'm making a road emergency kit for the trunk too. It'll have tools, flares, flashlight, jack and stuff Ill need in case of a break down, or if someone else needs a hand.

Oh, and thanks for the comment on the horn button! I photoshopped The Brides head onto the body of Betty Page!

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Fire extinguishers are like horsepower, torque, cubic inches, sex, and firepower; MORE'S BETTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

5. Learned this lesson the hard way - burned up the engine and front paint on my 36 couple years back. It's all fixed now but could have been prevented!

Mounted an extinguisher on the floor in front of the seat - passenger side - in our 32 roadster. It's in plain sight and easy to grab!

6. Glen

Glen

7. pitman

pitman

Mike, I went w/the type recommended earlier, mounted it on the right front kick panel forward and up from the floor a bit. Easy to get to, less easy to grab from outside and run off with.

8. Rocket88

Rocket88

After reading these posts this morning with my morning coffee, I went out and bought myself a 2-1/2 pound and put it under the front seat.

9. Thanks Monster.
    That's where I've been wanting to put mine, but I was afraid it would be in the way.
    I've been drooling over the chrome/stainless ones. Nice to have a little bling!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On our Sunday news this evening, a guy was killed while attempting to put out a car fire. They believe the car caught fire and he went to the passenger side to get the extinguisher. Well, the car exploded.:eek:

While this is a rare, it needs to remind us to be careful. If the fires out of control, it's not worth your life to try and save it. Know when to get the hell away.

11. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Glad I read this thread, I've been looking for a new extinguisher!

12. After reading this I want to get either the Halotron I or the CO2, can't decide. Does anyone know which works better, also I talked to the guy who refills our extinguishers at work and he said the Halotron ones don't expire like the dry powder ones (he said replace the dry every 5 yrs). I would assume that the CO2 ones you also don't have to replace.

http://www.trianglefireinc.com/Types-of-Fire-Extinguishers-s/103.htm

I want the metal top ones (like Amerex), not the cheap plastic ones (like Kiddie) and A 5lb one not the 1.5 or 2.5lb.

13. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Both my classics are getting the 5 LB units just to be on the safe side, after all I haven't invested all this time, money, and energy into these projects just to lose them over stupidity or cheapness.

14. IanS

IanS

I was always told if you put an extinguisher in, put it where you can reach it with the seat belt on!

Cheers Ian

15. Avgas

Avgas

For what it's worth, I carry an in date powder extinguisher in all my cars, in my Hot Rods I have a fuel tap shut off and a battery isolation switch, these two functions, both mechanically operated will nearly reduce to zero the chance if needing an extinguisher! If your running. Deuce or 34 with original tanks at the rear of the car, in the event if someone running up your rear the chances of a fuel tank rupture are highly imminent, no extinguisher that you will carry in your car has the capability to deal with this type if blaze other than a fire in its incipient stages!

16. stimpy

stimpy

get the halotron as it smothers and cools the fire ( knocks out 2 sides of the fire triangle ) as it comes out in a liquid , the co 2 one you need about 20 pounds before it will start cooling as its strictly gas . and if you can afford it get a five pounder ( contents wise not total weight) its bigger but it will work better , better to have extra than not enough , and yes chemical (liquid/ gas types ) extingushers should be recharged every 5 years also , as sometimes they leak out or the valving system don't work , I checked a extingusher the other day in my garage , pin not pulled , out of date and the gauge say zero pressure , its off to the tristate fire for a recert and refill

and remember Hamber's aim it at the base of the flames not into the flames ...

17. Where it's easy to get to in a panic!

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Except that that one in the back seat is going to become a 5 pound projectile if you hit something. Its probably going to hit you in the head and knock you out . Then it won't matter how many extinguishers you have . Secure it. :D:D:D:D:D

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Friction fire? I heard it called Jewish lightning

20. Scumdog

Scumdog

Exactly my thought!

And even if there was a crash that wasn't hard enough to really launch the extinguisher into your head it would roll under the front seeat where nobody would find it - even a really hard stop would do it.

21. olds vroom

olds vroom

I have a small one mounted on the floor between the drivers door and the front seat. You never know when you need it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

One rides shotgun with me.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Fire chief told me a 2.5 lb is barely enough. The small 1 lb is useless.

Ago

24. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

Know it's small and maybe useless but not a lot of room in some cars. This one is handy and not in the way. At least might be better than nothing and don't care if it's not cool looking where it's mounted.

[​IMG]

Dennis

25. stimpy

stimpy

only for jewish people and businesses .

we call it caucasion car payoff

26. stimpy

stimpy

get a chrome one and it would fit right in . Nice ride BTW , one of my freinds has a show semi , and his is chromed (small 5 pounder required one , and has a 20 pounder chromed out one in the tool kit under the sleeper , they don't look as bad as the big red ones .

for shows my car freinds take theres out of the pass compartment and put them in the spare tire under the cover so they don't disapear , I thought it odd how somone could steel a big red fire extingusher at a car shoe , you think it would be obvious , but it does happen .

27. The_Monster

The_Monster

Good point! I honestly didn't think of it flying around if I got in a wreck. Thanks for the opinion. Sometimes we can over look our own stuff so easily.

As far as the blown 3 window... I think that your placement and color is awesome. If it was chrome, a person may not recognize it as an extinguisher. After all, the color scheme here is black and chrome. It would melt right in. With it being red, its damn obvious what it is and where it is. Also, I like them in a visible area where it can be seen. To me it says you are serious about your car, your investment and safety. Professional drag racers and road racers have them highly visible. A visible extinguisher is saying that looking cool doesn't override being smart. I think planning ahead, preparing for the worst and playing it smart looks even more cool than trying to look cool!

28. [​IMG]

If ya look close mine is on the floor in the pass foot well. I can reach it from either side. I don't have a Hot Rod or classic with out one.

29. docmike

docmike

I’ve still got two halon extinguishers that I’ve had for years. One rides in my OT Baja Bug and one rides in my daily driver Dakota pick-up. In the back of my Dakota I also carry a 10 lb. ABC dry chem. along with my tow strap and a shovel. I have a water extinguisher in the garage that is kept right next to my welding gear. I was a volunteer fireman for 8 years so keeping an extinguisher handy is just something I do. Seeing a red extinguisher in any type of tricked out car has never bothered me. It looks very professional to me.
    Doc

30. I just bought a 5lb Halon extinguisher, the cheapest I could find was Zoro Tools at $146.29 (free shipping + tax :() and a $25 off online coupon for a total of $130.99.

Pricey but the car is pricey to replace (even after insurance) and i don't want to deal with the rust and powder from the dry.