Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bouncy Front End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyV53, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

Hello everyone, I am new to this here forum and I am in need of assistance! I clipped my 1953 Ford F100 with a '70 Monte Carlo front with Slam Specialties RE6s. 2 years ago I replaced every wearable item in the front suspension but I have now developed an extremely noticeable "shimmy." It literally feels as if I have 2 basketballs mounted up front versus tires... I have new tires on the front with about 200 miles on them and have had the wheels recently balanced. Please HELP!!!

2. punisher7

punisher7

Do you have shocks? A buddy bagged his rear and didn't use shocks. Felt like you were getting dribbled down the street

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Pics would be of great help. I assume you have scocks and by what you typed 6" bags are to small for the weigh of your truck imho so you are most likely needing to run to high of air preusher to achive a deacent ride height and or the bags are close to being fully extended. At ride height you should be on more than 2/3 bag stroke

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw an early 80's Buick regal set up like that Monday. The front tires were coming 2 inches off the pavement at about 45 mph and it looked like it would bounce the kid's girlfriend's boobs right out of her top. He was low to the ground though.

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

check tires and tire pressures pretty important especially if bias

6. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

thanks everyone for the input! I am not running shocks up front and haven't ever. it used to run perfect and this problem just started.

7. punisher7

punisher7

Add shocks and the problem will go away and your tie rod ends and ball joints will thank you. Shocks are an easy add on and they will make the ride much nicer.

8. Right!? 'Cause shock are stupid and unnecessary. I mean, WTH you "got away" without them so far.... cheesesus...

/sarc

Install shocks dummy.

9. Bouncy front-end and no big titty pix... big disappoint...

Bob

10. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

It will run perfect IF you don't hit a bump...

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

12. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

I know shocks are vital but daaaaaaamn... I figured it would be more of an overall bounce versus an isolated corner... if that makes any sense

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No, it doesn't make sense. It's okay to experiment and think outside the box, but sometimes you just need to go with what has worked in the past. Thinking you wouldn't need shocks is... well, not thinking. Put some shocks on and let us know how it turns out.

14. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    "I know shocks are vital but daaaaaaamn... I figured it would be more of an overall bounce versus an isolated corner... if that makes any sense"

Mabey it slung a wheel weight off? Regardless it still needs shocks if you want it to ride good.

15. Front end 101.. throw shocks on it. Post up some pix of the front end for the best advice.

Bob

16. Listen to the man.

17. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Undamped spring mass vs damped, you have one of these on each side;

[​IMG]

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Face palm slap...

19. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

[​IMG]

The left spring is at a frequency of 1.25 CPS a normal value for a passenger car with no damper. The right is typical if you bounce a car with dampers.

20. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

Once again i appreciate all the POSITIVE feedback on this subject and will heed all the advice... its nice to get help without the smart ass remarks...

21. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

hello shock's WTF

22. If you don't like smart assed remarks, boy are you at the wrong place. That's what gives this place character !!! :cool::D:eek:

23. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

Fair enough

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Grumpy old man !

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm shocked you tried it without em...

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

^ what he said

27. How long did ya stay beside them? :eek:)

28. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

Ok so i made my upper shock mounts earlier this week and now im about to venture to the bottom... how close or far away from the ball joint should the lower mount be? Heres a pic of my uppers i made..

Attached Files:

29. Steering damper as well. On good smooth road or track it isnt an issue but on ruf road it sometimes becomes neceasary. I had to put one on the Senior Dragster when we started running at Picton Airfield as it is 70+ year old tarmack. Had run into it before many years ago with a 32 bantam and so I knew what to do. Took about an hour. VW bug unit is what I used. Effect is the same as a shock it stops the oscillations from continuing after the "bump" Cure was instant and complete.
    Many vehicles with solid front axles over the years came with them.(VW bug, GM 4wd trucks just to name 2) They are not a crutch anymore then a shock is. They just put a stop to any unusual oscillations that might set themselves up. Sort of like a hand on your shoulder when you are about to lose your cool. Just tells the front end and wheels "settle down now"
    Don
    Interestingly had a rodder drop by today to see how to install a steering damper. He doesnt have a major problem but it is just on the verge and he would like to eliminate it. Like most, it is fine on smooth roads but becomes evident on ruf or not level roadways. He had just replaced his shocks and they were bad but it didnt cure the problem. I understand the temptation to try everything else first BTW because back in the day when I learned about this the hard way I was the same. However it is more often then not an instant and permanent cure.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.