Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 merc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Oct 9, 2011.

1. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Desotot...
    I am subscribed and following your build. Great build and beautiful car. I am curious about the transmitter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and uses a USB thumb drive. I want one...where do I find such an animal? Thanks.
    Steve-

2. JoeyV

JoeyV
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from San Diego

Great build, truly awesome craftsmanship. I wish I had a fraction of your skills to apply to my 49. Thanks for sharing the build with us!

3. desotot

desotot

Thanks guys, I haven't posted much lately cause I've been scrambling to get the merc ready for our July 1st Canada Day show and shine, now that that is behind me I'll take pics of the door panels and other stuff I've gotten done but for now here is a pic at the show and shine.
    [​IMG]

4. b-bob

b-bob

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Wow! Very nice work!

6. desotot

desotot

here is a shot of a door panel with the pontiac door stainless, not sure but I think the top is some early 50s interior door trim and the lower stainless is 59 pont 1/4 trim.
    [​IMG]
    here is an interior shot
    [​IMG]
    I still have to make sill plates and do the trunk upholstery
    Here is a pic just because.
    [​IMG]

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Very nice, perfect shape, like you mentioned earlier, like Buick trim!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Looks great! I did my sill plates as well. 16g in a break then powder coated them. Still looking good after 5 years.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Great pics, looking good!

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Wow!!!

I haven't checked in on this for a long time.

Your Merc is coming out beautifully man!!

Oh by the way, the top pieces on your door panels are '51 era Pontiac interior trim.

11. desotot

desotot

thanks streamliner, now I know where to look to scrounge up more.:]

12. desotot

desotot

Well, I managed to get the trunk done, [more or less]. I still need to get to our local Coker tire dealer to pick up my www spare tire so I can get my spare tire with a sombrero in the trunk, I think I will look for an aluminum floor jack as well cause I don't want to use a bumper jack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have been trying to figure out what to do with my gas filler. In the end I ran as short of a filler tube as I could, I silver soldered a 1/4" tube to the side of the tube and then I ran a 1/4" rubber fuel line of that , up the frame and down again , dirt bike style if you know what I mean. Then I plugged the vent hole in the cap. The next thing I did was to cut about 3"s of 4" stainless pipe and urethaned that to the floor. Now when I goe to fuel up I can hold the nozzle with the rubber flap that all gas pumps seem to have now adays and if it burps the gas runs through the hole in the floor where the filler neck comes up and runs out the bottom and not into the trunk on my carpet. This way I don't have to smell the fumes inside the car which will make my wife very happy,,,really!For now I have a snug fitting tin can over the stainless pipe to keep under the car fumes out.I'll see what I can find at the Spokane swap meet for a lid.
    [​IMG]

13. desotot

desotot

Made a cover for my filler tube in the trunk today. I also picked up my 5th Coker at the local dealer yesterday and had it mounted on my spare caddy rim, this sombrero isn't the greatest but it will do till I find a better one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to lose the lid of my marine battery box cause it was to big so I'll make a vinyl cover tomorrow.

14. desotot

desotot

Here is a pic of my new unit, this one will take a usb stick, an sd card or an mp3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked ths one up at a local electronics retailer, I just walked in and asked for a fm transmitter that plugs into a cigarette lighter.

15. castirondude

castirondude

very nice work! Very few people can finish a car that beautifully..
    I'm not one either, if nothing else just for lack of patience :) once everything works I drive it and move on to other things.

16. desotot

desotot

thanks castirondude,although I have had it out a couple of times this summer , I haven't had time to finish the car but I will button it up this winter.

17. Lono

Lono

Congratulations Jack. Our Plumber friend would be so proud to see it today.
    I wondered how things progressed. Its' beautiful.

18. castirondude

castirondude

Many cars come with a scissor jack, you can use those under the axle or the frame. They are a lot lighter and smaller than floor jacks. Although the small aluminum jacks are not bad

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

19. Car looks great, any bigger pics?

20. desotot

desotot

Well, I've already posted some of these pics elsewhere but here are a couple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Squablow likes this.
  21. desotot

desotot

Well, this car is just about done,I got the defrost tubes and the last of the heater control cables redone, I also made a set of stainless sill plates cause the repops that I have been hoping for the last 2 years still don't exist. The sill plates are plain and slightly narrower with less detail than stock but look allright with the black carpet.I still have to come up with the 49 radio trim piece and may have to carve one out of brass and have it plated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Been looking for a radio trim piece also. Pot metal on mine is bad. Not worth trying to plate. Your Merc looks great.

23. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

This is one sweet ride!!!!

24. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I am using the same steering column with a similar wheel, what did you due for the steering box?

25. desotot

desotot

Leadsled51,I grafted the top half of a 62 chrysler to the bottom half of a G.M. column so that it would bolt to the saginaw box. you need to keep enough chrysler to retain the horn and signal cancel switch for the chrysler signal switch which is mounted in the dash. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

26. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Saginaw box, did you use an adapter plate? What year make and model box? I have an F150 box with an adaptor, I have seen EXK offer one but not sure if I should change up.

27. desotot

desotot

I used a whole nova/camaro style front suspension which EXK also does, although I think he uses the front steer version. The thing is you have to get from the chrysler set up to a rag joint or a universal and that is why you will need to modify the chrysler column.You will have to work through this with EXKs other system as well.I may do his adapter set up on my next merc.

28. desotot

desotot

Well this is my last post and pic for this thread, I had the merc out last night and took a pic of it in front of the local diner.
    I am getting set to start another merc and will start another build thread soon.

[​IMG]

Archiewest and drdave like this.
  29. Car turned out beautiful! Looking forward to the next build!