Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Adapter small block chevy to ford model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTumbleweeds, Jun 21, 2013.

1. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi Guys!

Iam planning now to put my 265 chevy into my ford model a.

Is there maybe an adapter to mount the engine on model a tranny, or what is your way to do it?

Maybe you could modify rearend to get a driveshaft, then I could use chevy transmission too?

Need advice,

Many thanks

2. Id be ditching the complete driveline and running the chev motor and box and running an open drive 39 or later banjo rear or a Ford 9 inch, You will probably want to upgrade the braking system up front as well with the xtra grunt you'll be squeezing in there.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with Nailhead39A in that while you can most likely get the adapter the transmission in the Model A most likely wouldn't hold up to the V8 Chev engine. A lot of guys do run 39 Ford gear boxes and closed drivelines behind the Chev V8's but quite often they get real good at rebuilding the gear boxes if they drive the cars hard.

4. Never heard of a Chevy to Ford a trans adapter. You'll have to go to the V8 trans to get an adapter.

5. jimvette59

jimvette59

The model A trans leaves a lot to be desired. That said a 39 ford trans and a 38 39 rear with 3:73 gears in my opinion would make a more traditional set up. Enjoy your build. IMHO.

6. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Forget the Model A trans, even if you can adapt it. There were probably thousands of A's with 265/283 back in my day with a 36 thru 39 tranny to the stock torque tube/rear end. My 31's first incarnation was a flathead with 36 box, then a 50 Olds same 36 box both with stock 3:78 rear. I would get some hydraulic brakes on it also front and back.

7. robH

robH

For whatever it's worth.... Wife & I had a model A, in the 59-to-65 era, with a 56-265-4-bbl, attached to a 39 trans, with stock A rear end. Worked fine. (and we drove it accordingly - never broke anything) I'd do it again, no hesitation.
    Ours had Lincoln (Bendix) brakes, 49 or 50 Chevy pickup steering.
    If you do this swap, do your research on the clutch. We made a mistake the first time - used a Chevy clutch. I later learned that the proper clutch to use came out of a 49-53 Mercury - bolts to the Chevy flywheel, and has the proper leverage/feel. You can read about the clutch in the Wilcap instructions. If you try to use a Chevy clutch, and learn that you can't make the pedal linkage work, and later find your way to the Merc clutch, you will thank me.
    BTW, no pressure here, but I happen to have an extra adaptor and Merc clutch that I can sell, if anyone here is interested.

Tman likes this.
  8. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Realy good inputs evverybody!
    So a 39 tranny fits model A tube?
    I realy like to see the extra adapter and merc clutch you have, maybe you can take a picture? maybe I can by this?

My dream is to have the 265 in good running condition , with stock rearend.
    This car is not going to run agressive, just do many miles ;)

I am thinking of use a Hurst engine mount and make two ears on the rail.

What about the distrubiter, you have to modify the firewall?
    I have seen people turned them inside out?

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I have a 1957 283 and a 39 style trans. Found a vintage Speed Gems adapter bell housing at the flea market for $30. Score! There are new adapters available still from wilcap etc. but none for the Model A trans probably. Get a 39 style box.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here ya go. Merc pressure plate. Bolts right to the 153 tooth (10 1/2" I think) flywheel. Use a 39 type clutch disc (I think it's 9 1/2"). I think the chevy PP comes too close to the adapter bell or even hits, that's why you use the Merc. The Merc is also a Borg and Beck style (3 finger) while the chevy is a diaphragm type. With the Merc PP you use the 39 throw out bearing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    wingnutz likes this.
  11. I have a good 41 trans and a Wilcap adapter to Small block Chevy if your interested $300. Don't know what shipping would cost, probably kill your walet!

12. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Do you have a picture on it?
    I am little lost , so I need to see it ;)

I maybe can arrange a human freight cost, depends little where you live?

13. bgaro

bgaro

hurst front mount will work nice, gets a bit tight in the fuel pump area if your running mechanical. you'll likely have to modify your firewall, flipped of flat.

14. Will PM the pics. I live across the big pond.

15. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi, i miss some photos from you ;)

16. I have a stocker 31 Roadster and I located a 1955 sbc 265 bonafide Corvette engine rebuilt to stock with a 3 speed...

But I was thinking about using a 46 truck open driveshaft rearend ...

What juice brakes should I run...?

17. Budget36

Budget36

Probably should be a new topic. But the ‘46 rear will have hydraulic brakes.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

you are too polite. The Model A transmission is crap from 1928. It will explode under light use with a V8. Same with the Model A rear axle. The Model A engine breaks axles. A sbc will do it quicker.
    This post shows how to add good Bendix brakes

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-lincoln-brakes.965517/

19. walls

walls

I’m trying to get parts together for a 153 4cyl Chevy/v8 trans combo in an A. Same bolt pattern as the sbc. Check out the wilcap website
    You will need the V8 clam shell to attach to the stock rear, it’s different than the model A.
    Chevy flywheel and matching starter
    Merc 49-53 clutch and Flathead 10”pressure plate
    Flathead throw out bearing
    I think that’s it.
    IMG_0728.png

20. walls

walls

I think the A rear is Ok behind 100hp, like a strong banger or stock flathead.
    The 265 might be a bit much for the stock rear, but you can always switch it out later.

Also as stated, you should be upgrading the brakes.
    That would be the problem with replacing the rear later in my opinion.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think a 265 is going to be the same power as a hot flathead I bet it’s fine to run the A rear.

the Merc pressure plate comes from a 1950 since I didn’t see that mentioned when I quickly skimmed this.

also yes the A torque tube will bolt
    To the 39/v8 style trans you just need to use v8 trans clam shells on the end of the torque tube. Easy peasy

also 46-8 rear brakes are put on A rear axles
    All the time