Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a quote for a bag install on my 55 fairlane.. I think its a bit high

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingofthecrate, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Without the 4-link , just parts for the air bags is $1200 to $1500 depending on sale pricing.( around here) That is just the hardware, no labor. I can`t afford to send out stuff to be done so I did the install myself on my `64 Riviera ,not that difficult , but real time consuming ,took me about a week. Testing and re testing, fabricating mounts etc. NOW, add in a four link with all the design and fab work that is involved, I think you get the picture. Hope you get it sorted, nice car.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have no idea what an air bag install should cost, but I am another one who thinks your '55 looks great just the way it is now. Very nice (makes me miss then one I owned in the 80s)

3. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Your car is killer now.Keep the cash for something else.I hit in places in mine now ,other than to park it and sit it on the ground whats up with that:D

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've seen the most dreadful bag installs which ruined the car. Some say get three quotes. I recommend you do too and take the most expensive. Because the shop who undercuts to get your trade will do a rush job and ruin your car and / or parts.
    A proper job will take one man 5 days back breaking work, removing seats, carpets - removing axle - reinstalling - removing - reinstalling - measuring - fabricating - cleaning - grinding - welding - grinding (upside down) - cleaning - priming - painting - reinstalling - sweeping floor. Add in twenty coffees and forty cigerettes, washing hands, face - bandaging cut finger all for two grand, 1500 of which covers overheads and 500 goes home with you (400 after gas money). There are easier ways of earning a living.

5. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

your right real estate is higher in san fran vs denver .....but 63 v 100 thats a great margin to be considered right there.

6. randy

randy

Also, there's the economy of perception. The lowest shop rates in the SF bay area are around $65 an hour...the "premium" shops have to charge more; almost to prove that they're a premium shop.

Does that mean they're better than the $65 shops?

Maybe, but that's not the point. You can get junk at either price if you're in the wrong hands. If someone wants to charge $150 an hour and their work can back it up, shouldn't they?

If you're making $63 and you're happy...good for you.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

9. randy

randy

Born and raised - mighty generous of you though;).

10. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

thats a pretty common phrase around california.I lived in orange county for 4 years and had such a wonderful time!

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Unless you have money to burn, $4500 is a lot just to "frame park" your car.

Post a profile pic of your 55.

From the looks of the avatar picture, I'd drop the car another 2" or so all the way around (the traditional way w/o bags) and be careful driving.

For $4500, I'm thinking a 3" channel.

Then again, I'm not a bag guy...

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Work starts just as soon as I get done surfing, I can drive my rod 365-days-a-year, and the shop rate is $100.

13. randy

randy

I bet you miss the Mexican food though! Anyway, prices are higher here, I think that's been established.

California isn't for everybody, although the giant population (both legal & illegal) might suggest otherwise!

To the OP... $4,500 is a good deal. If the dude is good & has good references, he could easily charge more.

14. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Im already sitting on 4 inch blocks in the rear and dropped springs in front.. I hate to drop the shackle to remove the rear tires as it is now. Thats a HUGE pain. I will admit, I enjoy being able to pull up and hit a switch and watch that ass drop. its just in my blood from my lowriding days (I had a caddy that hit 42 inches with two pumps to the nose) Ive gotten more comfortable with the price, I just need to put more money away and justify where this 5k goes first. repainting our house, replace the kitchen floors, or bag the 55..

15. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

That's including parts, ready to drive? CHEAP! Decent quality parts alone, sitting next to the car, will run you $2k. Frame work is just like kustom metalwork- you get what you pay for...don't be cheap

16. Not a bad price honestly with a 4-link

17. angusjames619

angusjames619
    from phoenix

quality time in the green room