Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville Coverage....After the Crowds Went Home!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Aug 19, 2012.

1. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom
    Do you have any good shots of that Aussie Holden in the background of the 2nd picture on post #122?
    Thanks
    Michael

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It is possible that those are two different cars. I believe the car on the right was in a 300 MPH accident. I believe the story is that it was going 300 mph in a verticle positon with the nose down and turned backwards as it went through the timing light. I think that was a backup run for a record. George Fields is a great guy. He is someone that I would like to visit with more.

John

3. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

The Mariani ESTR is certainly beautiful and does have many very innovative and interesting details. I understand that they left $.5million at Troy's for the build. To bad they didn't get the record which they presently hold witht their 32 roadster that was built at Tardels.

Rex

4. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

The keg is for a little extra water in case of fire, but knowing Lee it could be beer!

5. hasty

hasty

Fantastic photographs - thank you!

6. Not to change the subject, or hijack this great thread, but I've spent the last few evenings reading the stories in the new TRJ Scrapbook. Read Tom Davison's story and studied the pics in his chapter last night. What a great history Tom has had with some of the big name players in hot rodding and customizing. A great read. Good job Tom!

7. Wow! and Thank You for posting!!

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm glad you enjoyed my Scrapbook story Dean. You certainly have an interesting story over the years too. I was fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time on numerous occasions; kinda like Forest Gump. I sent Geoff Miles over 400 old snapshots to choose from and we all had fun with it.

Did you notice how both Jim Gentry (Chapter 4) and I had lived in the same little town (Miles City, Montana) in the 50's. I did not know him as he was a bit older, but as a twelve year old, I remember his '53 Ford Hardtop as the coolest car I had ever seen in 1958. It still looks good by today's standards. Curt Iselli did a great job on the book.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

10. seatex

seatex

the quality of entries just seems to go up every year, and so do your photos! Fantastic work, Tom, THANK YOU!

11. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

WOW! havent been home from Bonneville that long and these pics make me want to go back! Great shots!

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

15. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

great pics, thanks for sharing.

16. Bucknsac

Bucknsac

Hi Tom,
    A lot late (on my part) but thank you so much for adding the pics of the '40 and '39!! I'll be at Bonneville in Aug to help them race can't wait.
    Thanks!!
    -Larry

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

No problem. Better late than never! I shot them because i liked them.

18. Cymro

Cymro

Great pictures, very atmospheric and a great choice of sub ject.

Can somebody enlighten me? What is the alloy "beer barrel" container in the the Road Runner?
    [​IMG]
    I had to borrow the picture to illustrate my question. Thanks.

19. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Man i need to make it out there one day ! thanks for the supper nice pic's !!Great Job!!

20. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Part of the onboard fire system. Or it could be used for the long tow back to the pits!!!

21. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Awesome photos, thanks for posting them.The streemliners are bad ass with no wind resistance. Talk about aerodynamics, cool, How do thy keep from tipping over since they are so narrow? Yea I know dumb question. Every photo is amazing, thanks.

22. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Thanks very nice...

23. Buick Guy

Buick Guy

Tom,
    I've been racing in Montana since the 50's. How is it that we never crossed paths? Love the photos. Maybe see you there in August. [or September, or October].
    Doug

24. You did a great job, "oh noble shutterbug" .....thank a teacher (wife)

25. Egghead

Egghead

Thanks Tom. Best Bville pics ever! #1 on my bucket list!

26. Cla99ude

Cla99ude
    from usa

It will be (like Junior’s) a fun ride for everyone as well as a tribute to Jesse’s early years and those around him and that era.[​IMG]

27. Ahh I feel better now ,just read thru the whole thread great photos Tom.

28. mrdodge

mrdodge

Thanks for the fantastic photos. It brings it all back. We had gone home by Wednesday as the car (Harris Family Racing #397 32 B/GR Roadster) had gone sad on two cylinders. They'll be back this year but my traveling budget ain't looking so hot so I'll be watching from afar (about 12000 miles!!) :(