Register now to get rid of these ads!

Regets in the hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Jun 20, 2013.

1. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

This is damn good advise......Also Stop having regrets, You can not change any of the dumbass stuff you done yesterday, all you can do is learn from it. Focus on tomorrow and next week. just my 2 cents

2. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

My only regret that is coming around to bite me in the ass, is that I NEVER spent any time working on improving my HOUSE!
    Now that we're getting ready to sell and move, there is literally a TON OF STUFF TO FIX!!!

3. I regret not buying more Powerball tickets....

4. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

I regret taking too long to finish my projects....

I regret buying some new cars and wasting too much money as well... (couldve used that extra cash on the projects)

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My regret is not being able to finish my Dad's 48 with him. Due to living 6 hours away, work, my family, I didn't take the time to go work on his car. Dad passed away this past November. Sad thing is even though the car is mine to finish, I'll be building it on my own. My son was not bitten by the car bug.

6. mrdodge

mrdodge

A piece of advice - "You can't move forward until you stop looking back"

Keep the new truck-good safe family vehicle-, get the stuff done around the house that needs doing (new family does not equal more spare time!!), keep the projects if you can or sell only what you need/have to. Live life!!

The urge to get back into it will come with a break. My 2 cents.:)

7. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Some great advise guys. As for the truck I get it out once or twice a year for a cruise out and back. I have a HHR for a daily driver. I've had the AWB Falcon for about 10 years now. All the mechanics are done and it is just the bodywork left too do. With the roadster, it is drivable but the ride is much too rough for my wife right now (and I guess me). I guess I just need to refocus on things.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Regret? Talking myself out of building a car for 30 years. I had a great job, back in the day, that would have allowed me to build 2 or 3 cars. But being older now, I can appreciate what I've done and make up for lost time by driving every chance I get.

To the OP, sounds like you need to take car of life for a while.

9. My biggest regret is procrastinating. But I am just so darn good at it.:)

10. cracker head

cracker head

....not building a Bonneville car sooner....

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've regretted the cars I've sold but other than that, I have no regrets. The one thing I do is finish a car I have started before starting on another. It helps that I always have a driver until the next one is finished. But since retirement, I don't go to as many shows/cruises that I use to. When I was working, driving my cars was a relief from work. Now that I'm not working, I don't have the money or space to start another car, so my two drivers are it, unless I win the lottery. Extra money goes household expenses. I need a new roof, new paint and new teeth (as in implants).

12. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I went through the exact same thing. Sold everything and began to build the car that I really wanted (1930 coupe on a '32 frame). Money is running out before the project is finished. I need to remember that they aren't built in a day and to keep one going so I can enjoy it.

13. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Have learned way too much to regret anything.
    Make a decision, make a plan, move forward...the lack of time machine availability makes anything else a waste of time, energy, and thought.
    Good luck, go get 'em!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I don't look back because I always build the next one better than the last. My wife wishes I never sold our 66 Chrysler 300 convertible. BIG velvet ride comfort...

15. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I often think that after awhile I might kick myself for selling the AWB Falcon and getting a '30 coupe.

16. Jeff J

Jeff J

Miss seeing my friends at the Hot Rod shop I had for 25 years ! But don't regret and miss the paperwork for the government ! Now I have my hobby back !!!!

17. 63comet

63comet

My regrets center on the projects I ruined by getting in over my head and the ones I let myself lose interest in until they became over my head.

I decided to chop the top and lose two doors on a four door '53 Buick. Poor car still haunts me.

My TR6 needed an engine rebuild, let it sit until it needed so much more I let it go for almost nothing. The GT6 only wanted a transmission, similar story.

18. raymay

raymay

Times and tastes change. Relax, take a deep breath and think about what you really want, then just do it. What good is a hobby if you are not going to enjoy it.
    My only regret is that I am not 40 years younger. I build what I like, get help when I need it and find I enjoy every minute of it.

19. Honestly, my biggest regret would be making my hobby my living. Hard to seperate them at times.

20. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

21. cracker head

cracker head

I change mine.

Not making my screen name "Drunk Man" is my biggest regret.

22. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I too have often regretted not selling my roadster when I could of.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One : Selling my running, driving "T"-bucket with a 270 Dodge hemi I built in 1966. If I still had it, I would have a 47 year old Hot Rod.

Two : Leaving a roller '35 Ford 3-window (with fenders and garnish moldings) in an apartment garage when my first divorce got overwhelming. (I can cope with them better now that I don't have to, thank you.)

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I guess my next question would be, "Who would buy a 1963 Ford Falcon Altered Wheelbase Project"?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  25. My regret is that I did not buy a pre-war Ford V-8 automobile sooner than I did.

26. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

My only regret in the Auto hobby is that I wasen't gifted enough to have more money and a bigger garage. I have sold many auto's that I would like to have kept, but "family first".

You need to sit looking into your garage and while being "Honest with yourself" create a list of "Need, Want, Would Be" -

A) "Need" to keep for whatever reason or get done and sell to support you family.
    B) "Want" to keep but really dont "NEED", as its purchase honestly was just a whim or your don't have a real need for it anymore.
    C) "Would Be" nice to keep, but why do I really have it anyway ?

Even if you only take the time to put things in writing, it will bring amazing clarity and relieve you of some of the high blood pressure and stress in your life.
    Stress brings on high blood pressure the silent killer.

27. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

what else are ya gonna do with your time??? golf :eek:

28. Model T1

Model T1

Do those farmers in Elmwood play golf? I regret not being the richest guy in Pekin and building a small shed big enough for a few hundred cars that I could afford. And being Kool and handsome too. May as well keep on dreamin.

29. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Wow Zettle, what a great thread. I read everyone of these. So interesting to hear everyones thoughts on this.We've all been there .And everyone is right on about taking a brake,and getting things done at home, maybe sell the extra stuff and get a new look on things. now go have some fun! Be thankfull for what you have already.NO regrets,

30. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

To quote Cher , " SNAP OUT OF IT "