Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Nice job on the concave dollies. I suppose you they're not readily available in your country......still love the work you're doing, going to be one awesome custom. An absolute masterpiece. Can't wait to finally see some color on this baby. I know you don't need to be motivated, but keep up the great work all the same!!!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the kind words Hogman! The coming months are going to be exciting as I'll be getting everything ready for paint. (finally!) More updates next week.

3. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

If you make a design (like the ones in your rear fenders) and break out the bead roller somewhere on the trunk panels before you polish, then paint, it really looks like stainless trim. 3D. Any Photoshop ideas Eli?

4. farmer12

farmer12

I like the idea of the 3 lines, like in the fenders. Just not sure if a bead roller would work on 3mm thick material though.......I've never tried that.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work again,Eric!

I dont know what kind of beadroller you have,but those that people have home can usually take max 1,5mm steel or less when working with stainless.I guess that Pullmax could work with that thick stuff better than beadroller...

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti. That's what I was thinking as well.......the material being too thick. I'd hate to screw up the panels by using excessive force on them. I think I'll leave them smooth.

7. n847

n847

Nice work on that trunk lid...Next time your in the the US do you mind taking mine back with you?

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you n847. Why don't I come over right now and do it for you. I'll do anything for a few beers.:D

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, lemme think about that. I'm sure I can come up with something, even if its not actually rolled.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Maybe take some 1mm stock and make a panel with louvers on it? You could paint between the louvers and attach it to the main piece after you paint it black.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

11. n847

n847

Well I'll stock up!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you polish the area of those 3 stripes, mask the stripe with 2-3 layers of tape, you can sandblast the area back to rough to hold paint. Then peel the tape after paint.

Or bead roll some thin stainless strips and solider or weld on some backing screws and attach.

Either way I like Eli's 'shop of the pic, the effect should be doable without too much work.

13. farmer12

farmer12

"Maybe take some 1mm stock and make a panel with louvers on it? You could paint between the louvers and attach it to the main piece after you paint it black."

Thank you for the photoshop OahuEli! That has certainly got me thinking.

14. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

sorry, got busy and forgot about this
    but got it done
    at least what i think what was said earlier..
    what i think will look nice is if you would polish the panel, tape off and sand and paint the rest.. maybe add an adhesive between stainless and the paint, cause not everything will stick on it
    you can Always tape of the panel later on, leaving the stripes untaped and maybe airbrush it a little to make it look like it was bead rolled?

i can change the color of the car if you want to as well, maybe that'll help give a better view of it

[​IMG]

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You're quite welcome Eric, I hope it helps. In any event, bending 1 mm with a bead roller has to be easier than 3 mm. Just ran the numbers and I'm not good at converting millimeters to inches but I'm guessing 3 mm is about .130 inches, or a little thicker than 1/8th of an inch. I can see most sheet metal benders thinking rather bad thoughts at bending something that thick. :eek::D

16. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Looking good Eric. Hoping to see paint soon. Your attention to detail is something else.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Perry, great photoshop! Now I've got even more to think about...

18. farmer12

farmer12

A little thicker than 1/8th indeed. A bit too much for a normal bead roller.....

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you BACAGrizz. Looking forward to paint as well..........as soon as there is space at the body/paintshop! Things have been quiet in my garage the last week. But, I'm picking up the newly chromed stuff this week! At least something is happening.....:D

20. 48plysled

48plysled

Car is a work of art Eric. I hope to get some work done on mine here this weekend. Got the harley all painted and rockin the old school scallops now. So now back on to the sled. Just picked up the Spies Hecker Radoral primer for it today. Hopefully work and college will cooperate and not burn me out too bad and I can start sl inging some filler on it again.

21. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

22. 1959apache

1959apache

I would be disappointed if I didn't see pictures of the shiny chrome!

Looks great Eric, I found a '40 Plymouth within a 3 hour drive that has a decent frame and the car is only $900... I may go get it for that price and that way I will have a head start on getting the frame finished! As soon as the Apache is road worthy I am going to start working on getting the '40 in the same condition

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks 48plysled. Can't wait to see some more progress on your ride. Awesome chop!

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you best2923. It will look even better with some colour on it later this year!

25. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks buddy glad you like the roof line

26. farmer12

farmer12

Not much news to report this week except that the newly chromed parts have arrived! It all came out looking awesome. The bumper is smooth now and all the parts for the vent windows look great as well. It was a little like opening the Christmas presents today.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

27. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Yummy, sparkly parts...sure have enjoyed watching this beast come together!!!

28. 1959apache

1959apache

o0o0o0 ahhhhhhh

Those came out really nice. I am looking forward to you putting them together. Have you been working on anything lately? Are you going to put everything together that you just got back (i.e. the wing windows)?

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you honeyman. Slowly but surely it's getting there!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Woo Hoo! Nothing like unwrapping newly chromed parts. It's like unwrapping jewels if they are well done. Looks like these are!