Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometines, You just have to say "Good Bye".......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have had a few threads with a reoccurring them over the last year or so, Dealing with a over abundance of project cars and a ticking clock, eventually you have to decide what to keep, and what to let go of...... Problem is, every car left in the barn and the shop has a "special" History or story to it. And deciding what to let go of is difficult.

I have a two time NHRA National Champion B/SR, The Blue Racer #424. It won the NHRA 1964 US Nationals in Indy,.. and then again the 1966 NHRA Spring Nationals in Bristol.And most of the information was uncovered by Dave Crain and right here on the HAMB.

This car is actually responsible for bringing me back to the HAMB as a contributing member, It was the seed that brought me to a lot of lasting friendships, As well as some sparring matches on this sight. It was exciting uncovering it's history as well as Hot Rod Magazine tracking me down to include it in there "Barn Finds Issue" And meeting the original owner builder.

Well,..... I have a few cars on the "Bucket List" I would like to finish before I assume room temperature, BUT ! This is the most historically significant car I own, And as much as I would love to finish this car, And reunite it with it's NHRA History for all time, And for others to see and enjoy... I'm slowing down some, So it just makes sense for somebody else to take it across the finish line.

The other cars I want to finish are of less importance historically to the rest of the World,... But have very personal history with me... So here I am at a cross road,... There is a path a number of cars are going to be going down As they leave my possession, And a few that will have to be sold after Ol' Harms Way is nothing but a memory.... But I'm having a difficult time turning "The Blue Racer" over to somebody else... Although I know it's the right thing to do......

What do you think my friends ?,.... Does this sound like a logical path to take?....... Below are some of the Threads here on the HAMB the old Blue Racer has inspired.....

And Thanks for letting me ramble.......

"The Blue Racer" B/SR #424 "A" Roadster

Loren McCombs reunited with his "Blue Racer" after 41 years

Thank You HAMB and Hot Rod Magazine !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Do what is best for you. Not very helpful is it. Sorry

3. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

I guess if you can sell it to someone as passionate about it as you are, sell it and finish yours.

My vote says finish it.

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Adopt them to some one who will show em the same love you showed ( go with your heart)~Chuck

5. N8B

N8B

I have always enjoyed your posts and information and following your cars. I can relate to this situation as I just went through this "cleansing" about a year ago with a big move and personal changes.
    I had a collection which included both highly personal cars and items I consider of great historical hot rod & racing significance. It was the toughest decision ever to determine which items to let go and which to keep. Especially since I am so into the history of it all. I see myself as a caregiver, in a sense, for those items.
    Anyhow - I somehow found a balance and kept a couple cars that held the most personal significance to me (luckily it has it's own history) and a few items which I simply can't ever see myself letting go (The Halibrand quickchange patterns)

But I have always told myself IF I were to let the patterns go (I know there not a car) or my '46 circle track car, I would make sure as hell they went to someone who would do the right thing with them. Someone who would love and cherish the history of them as much as I do and someone who would use them and treat them with as much respect as I have.

Sometimes we have to let history go. Sometimes we have to pass the torch.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm a bad one to comment because I tend to hang on to things and they become part of me. But I have to say that when I sold my 23 a few years ago as it drove away I really felt nothing, and I loved that car. My Sons were more broken up about it going than I was, and frankly, I was surprised that I really didn't hurt to see it go. Selling it also freed up some money to allow me to rebuild my 27 and start my rpu project, so that helped ease the pain.

My point is, you are probably being very smart to consider letting someone else finish it.........as I get older I realize the clock is ticking faster and faster, and you probably have come to that same realization. Plus, you do have other ones to keep you company.

Don

7. You are one of the members that I read whatever you post,,most of the time I agree with you ,others I don't but I respect your comments.

Just a few years ago I was faced with the situation not too dissimilar to yours,,too many projects and the clock is ticking and I posed this very same question to my friend Deuce Roadster.

He told me what a elderly gent had told him in the past,Pick one car that you feel is what you want and sell all the projects and you will probably have the money to fulfill your dream.

If in the future you want another project go for it,,,because you will have something you wanted and you can be chasing that new dream before you take that dirt nap.

Made sense to me,,and it worked for me. HRP

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

All I can say is, do whats best and do not look back...

My story? I love drag racing. I built many cars from 8:10's to low 10
    s.... The latter was a healing process after I threw my wife out in 2000. My sons and I built a car to pass time as we went through an ugly divorce.... By 04 we where racing, then they became 18, and moved on with their lives. 4x4s 4 wheelers, ect.... I sold the car because, I developed asthma and big smokey burnouts needed to be avoided.... Well I sold the car to someone I felt would appreciate it. A vet who came home, who loved drag racing.

I felt good at first, then came the questions and what he though where positive changes. To end this story, the car, with a hurt engine, is on craigslist cheap. Like the first girlfriend in high school, my heart skipped a beat when my son sent me the link....

If you sell it, be ready for what I mentioned, it could happen...

9. My dad used to say "I'll have to live to be 150 years old to finish all my projects". Then, sadly we lost him to cancer at age 54.

Point is, life is short, make it count in life or in projects. If you can't realistically get to something, then give another guy a shot at it. Afterall, we're only caretakers and we can't take them with us.

10. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have a great friend who is a collector of all things cool in our word he always says "somtimes you have to put your shit back in circulation." Im also in the process of downsizing, my father passed away 5 years ago so now i dont only have my stuff i have his stuff and it is really alot. This past fall went to a local swap meet with a trailer full of stuff i was not attached to with the intent to sell i made 6k on stuff i thought was worth 2k. Im 48 and have enough projects to last a life time lol. I got alot of satisfaction a the swap meet helped alot of people to advance their dreams by selling stuff resonable . Good luck with your decision.

11. Harm I hear ya friend. I am selling everything and keeping my dad's old Gas Roadster/Altered. Unlike you it will not be a resoration it will be raced the 'beaner way but he would have exected that.

All that is dependent on if I live long enough to see it through.

You got to make priorities friend, that is all I can say to ya.

12. It is hard to let things go sometimes but wouldn't be it cool to see it finished before your time is over. At this time you have control over who will get the car, later someone else makes that call. Way cool old race car.

13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As was previously mentioned, I think its all about whats best for you. If you can see yourself passing the build to someone else who you know will do it justice, go for it. Otherwise, so long as you can make your way to the shop with a cup of coffee in your hand, it might be better off in the corner for the time being. Put it in your will for piece of mind, and enjoy it as long as you can.

14. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Sometimes, You just have to say Good Bye

I'm there to i need to sell my 3 remaining Buick hardtops
    i'll keep my 50 Olds 88 coupe and call it a day

15. Wise decision ZZ. ;)

Sometimes building cars is like doing everything the voices in your head tell you. There just isn't that much time. :eek:

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Too often these days you see folks continue to get overwhelmed to the point that nothing ever gets marked off the bucket list. I'm impressed that you are able to recognize your limitations and deal with things responsibly.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You stated the other cars are of less importance historically to the world... those are some of the ones I'd let go. Let the Blue Racer be your testament. Keep a driver and finish the Blue Racer so that the world can enjoy it.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm feeling this right now. I just listed for sale the (OT) hot rod I built with my Dad. But it's holding me back from other stuff I'm going to do, and I don't love it as a car enough to do the things it needs.

19. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i feel ya man, i just "called the dogs" om a project i really wanted to finish, but i knew it were'nt gonna happen ! i feel that the new owner will probably finish it long before me so life is good, it will see the road again. also the yard don't have another ornament in it ! just hafta lettem go sometimes to get the great one finished.

20. raven

raven

The Blue Racer needs to come to my place...
    r

21. readin the Obits and seeing folks ya know in em and who are also younger than you wakes a guy up a bit=
    Ive sold three of my dozen projects this year and all seem to be at a better place and I am not bitter either......I do HAVE A FEW THAT I AM ACTUALLY DOING STUFF ON AND SEE PROGRESS,WHO KNOWS I MAY MAKE A FEW INTO REALITIES....sorry f'n caps!

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

In the eyes of NHRA and racing history I would agree,... with the fact this is a two time National champion, and the only "Y" Block powered Modified Street Roadster to EVER win a National title (let alone twice).

There is a Custom 36 Coupe that has been waiting far to long for it's turn. I seen it the first time when I was a little kid in Dearborn cruising Michigan Ave. It was the very first real, honest to goodness Hot Rod/ Custom I had ever seen in my life, And the sight and sound ruined me for life forever,... making me a incurable, life long car guy (even though I am a 1932-34 Ford guy to the core)

Later in life I found what was left of the car,.. And because of life it came and went a few times... I really want to restore that car in my lifetime,... It won 3rd place over all in the very first Detroit Autorama in 1953.

A 1932 Ford 5W that I use to own back when I was a teen that I have after decades of absence.

And A off Topic Factory high performance car that my Dear Ol Dad broke in, And most likely ran tests on when he was senior Test Driver at DPG in the 60's.....

Like I said, the decision is difficult.... But in the scheme of things, I think I will have to stay with the cars that have personal history with me and my life.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I'm gonna be somewhat pragmatic here, and it might seem just a bit heartless but it isn't. You've already alluded to it, it's not YOUR history. You like it, it moves you, but the history started and stopped for you when you found it and reunited it with it's own history. You're done. You achieved the only possible "win" with it, and restoring it wouldn't add a cup of coffee's worth more. Harsh? No, realistic. How many of the personal cars are you willing to turn your back on to bring this around to a functional racer again? Will you drive it? Will you tour it all over the country to reunions and shows and concours events that feature such things? Will that effort move you just 1 bit more than you've already been moved by it?

You already answered all of those questions truthfully to yourself, but it sounds like you might not like them 100%. I think someone who lives that part of our heritage to the fullest would do the car, it's history and it's former owner/racer more justice. They'd also always remember who brought it back from the brink. That only happens once in a lifetime for some folks, never for others. If I struck a nerve in a bad way, I'm sorry. That's not my intention in the least. I've had to move some of my dearest cars in the past for reasons much less enjoyable than yours. There's a brighter light at the end of the tunnel you're looking down. With the popularity of restored significant racers larger than ever, there's another factor involved that's normally not polite for public discussion. What you've already done is permanent, is something anyone would be proud to do, something that gives honor to that facet of our history.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not in the least (If I'm understanding you right),... In fact all of this as well as a great many other things have crossed my mind..... If I live to be as old as my Dad did, that gives me 14 years.... I can't finish all of what is left in the barn.

I would really like to see this car restored, preserved and enjoyed, And for others to see,... But watching the clock ticking,... and seeing what I want to accomplish for myself kind of mandates this move.... Besides I would really like to see it in the hands of somebody that has the passion to see it through.

Thanks for the response.

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

We are all just the temporary caretakers of our cars because unless it gets demolished while you own it someone else will have it when you sell it or take the dirt nap. Sometimes its best to find a suitable "next caretaker" while you can.

26. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Remember the man who dies with the most toys WINS.

27. Hyfire

Hyfire

I've owned some pretty historic cars. It's easy to lose sight of how important they are while you have them in your garage. It's also easy to not keep the car progressing.
    The last really historic car I sold was a few months ago. As soon as I listed it for sale it was put onto the front page of the Detroit News, New York Times and featured in Autoweek, Jalopnik and a bunch of other newspapers & sites.
    It was a very hard car to let go of. It's amazing to walk out to your own little garage and just see such a historic car sitting there.

Regarding selling it. The key is finding it a good home. You won't miss it as much if it goes to the right person. At the end of the day it's just a car and you need to focus on what moves you and your family forward. I've missed owning the historic cars I've sold... but I've never regretted letting them go.

I love my current two racecars with history... but I'd sell them both before I'd give up my "no-history" 1957 Cadillac... which my kids and I spend time in one weekend a month. They will have to pry those Cadillac keys from my cold dead hands.

28. You gotta do what you gotta do. I just faced a similar conclusion. My hands are getting arthritis. It's to the point that I have to make choices. I just took my last ride on my Harley today. Tough choice, but the right one. Whatever I have left in my hands I'm spending building a custom for myself. After that......I'll just have to see. This getting older shit isn't for the weak.

29. Harms, I can help you with that 32 5w. Be a good father son project with little T ;)

30. James427

James427
    BANNED

Seems you already know the right answer as it is stated in your original post. Hopefully someone will apply for the position of "next caretaker" that gives you the comfort level to pass the torch.