Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford Build "The deeper we get" The better it looks !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Jun 19, 2013.

1. I have run into all sorts of goofy parts and rough shot work on my ride, but it's just makes me more inspired to fix it or improve on it.

I just want to solve/fix it and move onto the next task.
    I'm no car builder, but I'm learning a bunch and been having fun.

2. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I don't know how much of it is dishonest sellers and not just ignorant sellers. I have had a ton of people tell me they have something like a 1932 front end and when I look at it it is from a Model A. They aren't necessarily trying to mislead me, they just don't know what the difference is. If you are buying parts it is always best when the buyer knows exactly what they are looking for and does not depend on the seller to identify is properly.

3. YAPP

YAPP

I usually try to keep my mouth shut around here as I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but what is the proper procedure for calling out a "bad seller" on the HAMB now anyways?

Used to be a list but it is no longer maintained as the HAMB is too big and the list probably got a little to difficult to manage.

I watched this deal/build since the eBay listing was pulled. What was listed and described and what showed up had discrepancies. Maybe it was oversold or creative writing but when questioned the seller said he would make it right and didn't.

The buyer did get a nicely chopped 32 and frame but he didn't get the "deal" he thought he was getting and is rightfully irked.

I have no affiliation with either party but I've seen other guys say they got burned in the same manner by the same seller only to get their asses handed to them on the forum because the seller is "somebody".

Anyway, you don't know me and my opinion doesn't matter to you but I just didn't want to see this guy get kicked around too much. He got burned just like we all have (at one time or another) and it sucks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Every time I read one of his threads on this same subject I feel an overwhelming need for some cheese :D

5. geez . ill buy that thing.
    just re sell it to one of us.

6. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Yeah Bali NOW that I've bought all the right parts Where were you about a year ago? lol I got a whole pile of alleged 32 parts for it I'll give you a deal on. OK not really usuable parts for a build BUT I'll give you a deal anyway. Wanna build a doodle bug or something

I;m building the car as a keeper. It WILL be as bad ass as I can get it.

Thanks Yapp at leat YOU got my point I wasn't bitching I was just trying to prevent another burn.

7. Caveat Emptor.

8. Its a hot rod. You can make virtually ANY part work on that if you want to.If you were restoring it then maybe the parts would be wrong. But a hot rod? All you need to do is modify what you got.

9. I know your pain having finally got mine to a driving stage after 12 years of frustration. It seems like I was re-engineering everything as it did not fit or work as advertised. Keep plugging away as it will work out.:cool:

10. oh sure - those parts will just bolt right on....

11. Absolutely the truth Bruce! It starts when you come down with a case of Deuce Fever, which develops into the lifelong Deuce Disease with no known cure. You can go to the Henry Ford Rehabilitation Clinic to try to control the addiction though!

12. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Just about EVERY time I have bought a half baked project, I have been burned on some of the work that was already put into it, [present project included]. But, having said that, I also know, going in, that no-one else will satisfy me in their workmanship totally. So I back my ears and dive in, repair, replace and take the screwing I deserve for buying it in the first place and more often than not, it all works out for the good. The car will turn out like you want it, not like the other fellow started it, so jump in there and make it yours... If you can throw money at it and fix it, it ain't a problem....

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to see some photos of the WRONG parts, chances are they are the RIGHT parts for someone else. Bob

14. Yea," half bakeries" always have a reason for being so.
    And affordable completed drivers almost always have some" half asseries" within that probably should be re-done.
    The mega buck rides still can contain a questionable compromise that the new owner may find needs redone but "half asseries" aren't out of the question.

15. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

When one steps back from the whole picture and reads all the commetns to date I personally draw these few conclusions -

A) You seem to be old enough that you should have known better then to "just trust anyone". Please move on, you are not the first to get taken by someone.
    B) You seem smart enough that you should have known to "Ask questions BEFORE buying". Another deal will come along if you wait long enough.
    C) You fail to see the good that you have an original body and chopped or not, half if not more of the people just on this site would give there right (eye, leg, kidney, arm, etc) to be in your position and own that '32 body.
    D) You have yet to mention that you would be willing to sell the whole package, so that you can move on with life and put it all behind you.

Change the page of the book your writing titled "My Life".
    Start writing new pages about the things you have learned personally and the things you have learned from others along the way. Write about the new people you have met while you sold off the parts that you no longer need and the people you met at swap meets looking for parts for "that chopped '32".

Remember, "Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future and today is the present you should open and enjoy ".

16. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Fordtudor all is well said. I have no problem buying what I need to finish the car with the right parts I need. As anyone has seen in my other builds. YES I have met a lot of great guys here from buying and selling parts to get my projects the way I want. Have met a lot of great guys here giving me advice on what parts to get and how to make them work. One of which Frank ( F&J) who is giving me a hand now with my project and is a tremdous help. I'm still learning things everyday.

Bottom line is I will finish the Bonneville style 5 window build because I love the chop and can picture it being as other guys have said "BadAss"

This was never meant to be a bitch session just a fellow car guy giving advice.

The build continues..................................

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  17. flathead okie

flathead okie

WELL HERE'S ONE FOR YA
    I bought a coupe Model A from a guy in Indiana about a year and a half ago. I've been steadily but slowly working on it. It should be finished or at least driveable in a month.
    It's got a custom one off frame that looks real nice and professonaly done.
    Last week I was measureing for tires when I noticed the rear end is an inch off center to the front. No way to correct it. OH SHIT...........Oh well.

18. F&J

F&J

Ok, here are some today pics. Moved 2 cars to make room to set up the rear axle location in the morning.

Car is coming out good, and very fast, IMO.

Some details of what we have done in the last 2 weeks or so:

-made mounts/crossmember to fit the early Cad motor with Eldorado stock tri-power and Buick Roadmaster trans. Old firewall was already set back, and the lower edge looks like it once had an extended bell motor like Hemi, Olds, Cad etc.

- Mounted the F100 box up as high as possible for drag link angle. Did not cut or bend the F100 arm.

-Bones are 35/36 which simply can't work with 32 spindles, and caster was at 10*. So, we flipped the bones which lowered the perches 1/2", and piecut the bones to 5*. That 5 matches the Model A front spring pad angle, so we tossed the adjustable perches that were hitting the drag link. Now the tie rod runs above and clears everything just fine, it seems.

-Axle is 32 but undropped, so we reversed the stock 32 spring eyes to gain an inch. Pulled 2 of the smallest leaves to get more. Bounce test feels good, but there is no crank or rods in the motor. I still think it will be good later. Dick is getting the parts to make a new adjustable draglink to replace the mock-up one made from a rusty stock tierod.

-Moved the bones from the outside of frame to underneath, for clearance of the tires and pitman arm. I think it looks good. Car steers nice to full locks now.

-Unknown dash was sliced, reshaped at top, and flattened to match the A pillar angle. Went with Chevy pickup Hyd pedals w/dual master, as with the low roof and low seat bottom, they are easier to push than below-floor pedals. F100 column drop stretched 1". Clutch slave is all set up now with a fabbed mount.

-Rear axle needs a pinion angle change and needs moving forward 3/4", and I will raise the rear ride height by 3/4" or so. There will be 5/8" of spring mount U-bolt threads to add a spacer, if it drops later on.

-Rusty mock-up hoodside from local junkyard, shows that the fronts of exhaust manifolds are just touching. We plan on shimming the lower shell mounts to push them out a bit. Maybe grind the manifold tips also.

Attached Files:

19. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Frank,
    Looks even better outside !!!! Thanks

Paul

20. McFly

McFly

Looking good.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looks awesome, Frank! Were you hiding this car from me when I came to see you? LOL.

22. F&J

F&J

It's only been here 2 weeks or so....but...we sure could use those 35/36 rear trailing arms back:D

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"You fail to see the good that you have an original body and chopped or not, half if not more of the people just on this site would give there right (eye, leg, kidney, arm, etc) to be in your position and own that '32 body."
    100% true. ANYTHING that gets you into a real deuce is worth it as everything is rapidly passing financial possibility for normal humans. Once you have that toehold...all the further suffering and spending becomes worth it. If I were starting from scratch now...I'd be looking at fiberglass and welded up Chinese frame for sure.

24. Fenders

Fenders

A year and a half of looking at the car and you never noticed that?
    Well if it's not noticeable it may not be worth worrying about..... :rolleyes: