Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry about your dad too. We'll figure out something for charity. :) I know a LOT of local people who would be willing to pitch in for a good cause. Thanks for the inspiration and I may contact you for some guidance in the future if that's okay.

Thanks Mike, he is sorely missed. One of the greatest things about this hot rod lifestyle is that there are no age boundaries. I only know a few local guys my age, most of the hot rodders are in their 70's. I'm 41, Dave was a very young 72.

Thanks Flow, I probably shouldn't say it but I can think of a few that I'd rather seen go. :eek:

Hope to get up to Bob's tomorrow to talk to him about a side project on my Shoebox. My daughter and I spent a few hours in the garage today and started on the full-flow oil system... damn its ugly. I have a good idea on how to disguise it in the original oil canister. Might make for a good tech thread in the future! :)

Sent using the NEW Droid HAMB app from atop my toilet.

2. daddio211

daddio211

Not much to report right now, but you know how that goes... right?

Bob has the chassis completely welded and ground now. Lots of tedious small work that just doesn't show up in photos.

I need some more help from you guys though. I'll admit it, I'm a tire snob. Tires make or break a car, and the wife agrees. She said she'll deal with the small nuances of bias plies for the right look, so the car just took ANOTHER turn for the better... YAY!

The wheels are '49-51 Ford Shoebox wheels, 15 x 4 1/2 fronts and 16 x 4 1/2 rears. I have tire sizes picked out but want to bounce it off of you guys. What say you?

Front: Firestone Deluxe Champion 5.60-15 blackwall (25.7" tire height) $145.96 each HAMB Alliance Discount

Rear: Firestone Deluxe Champion 7.00-16 blackwall (30.94" tire height) $168.21 each HAMB Alliance Discount

The 5.60's for the front are the SMALLEST 15" Coker makes, and there's always the larger 7.50-16's for the rear, but I'm thinking they might be a little TOO tall at 31.48" on such a small bodied car. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  3. I'd go 7.50's
    I don't think you will ever regret going with the "bigger" choice

4. daddio211

daddio211

Normally I'd agree, but since the T is such a small bodied car (plus the turtle deck is so narrow) the 750's may actually be TOO tall.

Also, I'll be running TALL gears... In the 2.90 range.

5. It's only a 1/2" difference

6. daddio211

daddio211

I know. I'm picky like that! LOL

7. Didn't Victoria tell ya, "Bigger is better" ?
    Cmon do the big meats !!!!

8. daddio211

daddio211

Why do you think she married me? :D

You don't think the 750-16's would be too big Don?

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, the 7.00 are actually a touch wider than the 7.50's, I want to say just under a half inch but dont quote me. So that might be a factor for ya as well..

10. daddio211

daddio211

That's good to know, I'll look into it. Thanks man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

What a thread: great frame building, cool ideas, 2 different builds, a tribute to a gentleman AND lots of updates!! Thanks for the ride Daddio!

Oh ya - So glad you killed the DROID stamp - LOL!!!

12. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, much appreciated! The other stamp is on my phone. At the moment I'm sitting on the couch with my wife on my new iPad! Don't worry, I'll be back on my phone tomorrow I'm sure, LOL. :D

13. daddio211

daddio211

After some deliberation I'm going to wait until the car is completely together before ordering tires. Seeing it complete, in color, at ride height, will help make the decision.

14. Good move Eric.
    Wait til it's done then decide.
    Make you and Victoria happy, not some of the idiots here.

From the wooden crank phone in my sh*thouse

15. That Eric is a sight im holding out to see. JW :)

16. daddio211

daddio211

Not much of an update, but progress has been made. I went to Bob's this morning and spent 5 hours hand filing the chassis to smooth out any rough spots. This thing is turning out so much nicer than I had imagined, but with Bob at the helm it should be expected.

While I was filing away Bob spent time reconstructing the inner rear bone mounts on the rear axle housing. As was pointed out previously, the way they were set up allowed the rear end to pivot, except for the outer bones (Ford). This somewhat defeated the purpose of having the inner bones, which was to strengthen (or assist/prevent bending) of the Ford bones.

One eyesore and pet peeve of mine is a chassis that's kicked in the rear that's obvious from the side profile. As such, Bob built an extension so the frame will appear to continue past the kickup toward the rear axle. No unsightly gap between the chassis and rear tire now. Nice. :cool:

We also did a little fab work on my shoebox's full flow oil system, but I didn't take pics.

Next weekend the wet blaster is scheduled. Updates then.

Having trouble loading pics via the droid app, will try again later.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Gee, where have we seen that idea before ? :D ;)

Larry

18. daddio211

daddio211

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039872.381583.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039890.661572.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039909.701656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039925.451340.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039949.633710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039969.807077.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373039997.701912.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373040047.926448.jpg

19. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry for the lack of updates and details fellas. Work has been crazy good lately, and the wife and I spent our anniversary in Jamaica.

This weekend, as un-exciting as it may seem, is exciting to me. We'll have the car club together and do a wet blasting demo that a friend's family has gotten into. The chassis and all suspension components will be blasted and body/paint work will follow immediately thereafter.

We should have a completely painted rolling chassis in a few weeks to a month. Once thats done we'll have the body wet blasted and body work/paint to follow. It's getting close, but it still seems so far away!

20. Great work on a great little roadster. Can't wait to see it!

21. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Sarge! I hope we don't disappoint!

22. daddio211

daddio211

Larry, I don't know how I missed your comment before, but YES, I love what you did! It's always been a pet peeve of mine and I love how you addressed yours!

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, and I think yours will look great as well. It just looks somewhat incomplete having that "gap" there.

24. daddio211

daddio211

My friend Todd and his brother Troy met me at Bob's this morning, and the four of us loaded the chassis and all of the suspension parts. We took them to Todd's dad's house and dropped them off, then drove back to town to have breakfast with our car club. We threw a few of Bob's T parts on the trailer as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our car club has nothing important to discuss, so we have EATINGS not meetings. Everyone was invited to come up for some wet blasting action.... wait, that doesn't sound good. :D

So most of the people that showed up for breakfast made the drive up the hill to cooler country (about 15 miles north). Todd and Troy gave us a cool demo and supplied hearing and eye protection. Wet blasting (and sandblasting) is friggin' loud!!!

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xu4OYM40ImI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now we have lots of bare steel that's been treated and ready for sealer. Bob will begin again Monday with filler, sanding, primer, sanding, primer, sanding, primer and assembly. We'll have another EATING not meeting and invite everyone to watch the body getting blasted in October.

...And I may have found my next project. Victoria has been wanting a COE ramp truck forever, and I THINK this one may be mine very soon. Of course it'll get blasted and epoxy primered while there in preparation for storage in my garage.

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along fellas!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  25. That COE looks very solid. JW :)

26. daddio211

daddio211

27. I wish I could say my wife has always wanted a COE. I guess i will have to live vecaresly through you Eric. Can't wait for the body work to begin.

28. daddio211

daddio211

Although your wife may not want a COE I know she won't mind if YOU have one, LOL. Just make it an extra cab or put a sleeper on it because your girls will want to go everywhere you go in it!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

29. Good thinking.

30. daddio211

daddio211

More traveling in the past few weeks. Ugh, I'm about traveled out and I LOVE traveling. Spent 6 days at my wife's dads cabin in Fish Lake National Forest. Needed to get out of the miserable heat we've been having! The 110-115 summer days aren't the problem, its the 50% humidity that been killing me.

As expected, the chassis is back at Bob's home shop getting a work out. He's been filling and sanding as the weather allows, but even in his shop its too hot and humid to get much done. Still, he's plugging away nicely.

He has laid down several coats of filler and sanded away, making the chassis silky smooth. The sides and top will be finished to perfection, I don't think we'll detail the rest that heavily, but every weld and seam will be dressed with filler and sanded smooth before primer, paint and clear.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375244161.557494.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375244172.536432.jpg

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.