Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 input doesn't fit 10 1/2 disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by broderchamp, Jun 20, 2013.

1. broderchamp

broderchamp

I have a T5 NWC 5 speed transmission. I am going to use it behind a 331 Hemi. I just tried to fit the clutch disc on the input shaft and it doesn't fit. Am I going to have to change the input or the disc? I have a Munsie 4 speed I could use and the disc fits that perfect. I like the idea of the overdrive in the T5 but I also think the Munsie is a stronger transmission. The 331 is a mild engine and I'm running an eight ench Ford with 3.50 gears. It is going in a 29 A fenderless roadster.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

You just need a disc to fit the input shaft.

3. yruhot

yruhot

I put a t-5 into my 57 chevy pickup and used a disc out of a 88 chevrolet astro van. I didn't think they even used manuals in those vans but I got all the info off the stovebolt.com site and Checkers was the only automotive outlet that would let me buy only the disc. Works great. Converted from a three on the tree. Used excisting bell housing etc. YRUHOT.doug

4. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Do you have a course spline input or the fine spline input? What's the t5 out of?

5. Danny G

Danny G

The t-5 should have a 26 spline 1 1/8

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You need only change the clutch disk to match. The best option is if you live in a bigger city with a real clutch rebuilder, take it to him, tell him what you've got and what you need - they'll fix you right up for about the same price as a new disk for a random application that may/may not work.

The 26 spline only came in V8 Camaro T5...I think. I don't know about the few WC S10 T5 though...

7. NWC T-5 used in S10 pickups has a 14 spline input.
    I

8. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I have used a Non world class and world class T-5's behind my inline 250. The WC was a 26 spline input. The NWC uses a 10.5" diameter, 1" diameter shaft on 14 count spline. I had a clutch shop here in Nashville custom make me a disc that fit the WC clutch pressure plate kit that I bought for the WC. Hope that makes sense, I felt like I just confused myself!

9. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

I have the same 14 spline NWC T5 for a project. It came with a 9.125" clutch kit.
    From what I have read, the Astro vans that had a 4.3 V6 and a 5 speed were few and far between. They used the same trans I have and had a bigger bellhousing, deeper for the longer input shaft to fit and larger for a 168t flywheel. Unique combination.
    I have heard that there were no factory 10.4" clutch discs, never verified it, but they are supposed to be available aftermarket from Jegs, Summit and the like.

10. broderchamp

broderchamp

This T5 came out of a 84 S10 behind a V6. It only cost me $50 dollars so I'm not out that much if I don't use the trans. I'll count the splines tomorrow on the T5. I did check the other trans that the disc fit and it was 10 spline. I suppose that the 4 speed would be as much fun as a 5 speed. I like the overdrive feature on the T5 although I understand that 2nd and third gear are a little weak if you have a lead foot.

11. Like the other folks have said, get a clutch disc that matches the transmission input spline, and the disc diameter is close to the same as what the pressure plate is.
    Then comes the next part that I know from semi truck stuff and engine power. Engine type, torque capability, and flywheel type on an American big truck determine a lot of which heavy box you slide off the pallet to be installed.
    Do your best to have the largest clutch disc center and springs to fit the pressure plate. These absorb engine beats as you drive.
    You may need to have a custom clutch disc made at a shop too if you can't find something comparable.
    Clutch discs and pressure plates determine how engine torque is applied. If they aren't matched correctly, you can build yourself into a high maintenance vehicle that uses clutches and more.
    Trust me, it's very disheartening to need to pull the transmission from a hotrod because the clutch wasn't spec'd correctly by the builder, me on both, at less than 6000 miles.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes WC V8 Camaro is 26 spline..Earlier NWC V8 Camaro T-5's I've seen with the traditional GM 1-1/8-10 spline. WC Camaro V-6 are the small 14 spline.

13. Then the Astro Van or S10 disc will do the job.

14. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

I used a disc out of a blazer, 9 11/16 inch dia. I believe that Cornhusker in NB has larger discs that fit the 14 spline s10 trans. You might also want to consider re drilling your flywheel to take a modern diaphragm style clutch. They are much smoother than the old finger style.

15. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The S-10 box has different 1st gear ratio (lower). The Camaro V8 WC has a 2.95:1 1st, I believe some of the S-10s have 4 something 1st.

Ago

16. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

If you decide not to use the T-5, I'll drive up to your location from Gig Harbor and buy it from you (at a profit for you of course). I've got a 235 just begging for one.

17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Go for the early 80's Camero v-8 t-5 tranny. They work very well and will use a 10.5" or 11" disc and will bolt up to all most any Chevy v-8 or later inlines.
    NOT INTENDED FOR HARD RACING! THEY WILL BLOW!

18. broderchamp

broderchamp

I just checked the number of splines and the output shaft has 14 splines which matches a few other posts. Off to see what I can find for a clutch disc. Thanks for all the help. Dennis

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I used an 11" Astro van disc on my 14 spline NWC S10 T5.. Works great...

20. I also used the 11" Astro disc on the back of a 250 6-cyl. in my friend's '41 Chevy, but watch out! I had to buy a larger flywheel and bell housing as the clutch cover wouldn't fit the flywheel I had.

21. InPrimer

InPrimer

any ideas of what went wrong?? installed a T5 in my '52 truck, (8BA)Speedway clutch, new Speedway p/plate, machine shop redrilled flywheel, new throwout bearing new sleeve for the t/o bearing, new fork shaft. I can get the t/o bearing to release the clutch but can't get enough pressure on the clutch, in other words the clutch slips on the flywheel. There is no external way to adjust the 3 prongs on the P/P without taking the trans and the adaptor and sliding them back about 6" I' m assuming the P/P has to be adjusted to push harder on the flywheel via the bolts on the P/P but don't know what to do next. Only "crazy" idea was to drill a hole on the Speedway adapter in order to acess the bolts on the P/P. I noticed the old stock tranny had an acess "window" the Speedway doesn"t PLEASE any help would be greatly appreciated

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are two S10 gearsets. One has a 4.03 first, the other 3.76.

More than 10-tons of info here: http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm