Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F6 to F1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBro8424, Jun 19, 2013.

1. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

Ok so Im new, I did the intro, and I searched for an answer and haven't found much so if this has been covered I apologize in advance.
    I have a 1948 Ford F6, and I want to make it into an F1. I know from research here that the cabs are the same, fenders will have to be changed, and obviously a different frame. I have the original 8BA flathead I would like to use if it checks out (seized up).
    I have located an original F1 frame from a '49 about an hours drive from me, he says it has original front suspension/axle and a ford 9" in the rear. He is asking $500.00 for everything.(Think it had running boards as well). So I guess I want to know if this is a fair price as I have yet to find another F1 frame for sale anywhere else somewhat close to me. Also am I just wasting my time going from F6 to F1 as I will need a lot more parts (front fenders/bed/rear fenders etc.) I am somewhat sentimental to this truck as it was my grandfathers farm truck at one point, I just don't need this big ole thing as it sits.
    The other question is the legality of it all, Should I try to get a title/bill of sale with the frame so it is an F1 (assuming it has a VIN)? I don't know if anyone in the family even knows where the title is for the F6, my grandparents have passed so Im going to have to check around on that.
    Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be easier to sell the F6 and buy a F1.

3. 46stude

46stude

If it is sentimental, then its worth whatever you want to do with it.

Have you considered just redoing it as the F6 that it is? Plenty of hot rodded & restored F1s out there, but cruise in a big ol' vintage flatbed & folks will definitely take notice.

4. Check with your state motor vehicle department as to what the easiest titling step is.

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

$500.00 for the F-1 frame is a good price. What you want to do is not that hard just takes time and a bunch of work you will be happy when its finished.

6. Fiddy 2

Fiddy 2

I'd do it. $500 is prolly a decent price depending on the condition of the frame. Then again, you could just lower and build the F6. You could shorten and C-notch the frame and put the 9 inch in there. Keep the front fenders and all, they are bigger and have plenty of room for tires. Or you could slam the truck as is and build a custom flat bed. The options are endless.

7. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

I have to admit im not completely set on going f1, ive looked before but not recently, anyone got any cool f6 pics? Regardless I think I will get the f1 frame since they seem to be so scarce and may get money back if I dont use it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 2racer

2racer

put the f1 axles under the f6...much easier

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

x2 ^^^^

10. gold03

gold03

Mine had the VIN on the top of the frame, drivers side, in front of the cab. If your Grandad had a title, it is likely tied to that VIN. Works that way in Canada anyways. That might be something to consider.

I like the idea of a F6 truck build. Mine went a different direction, but I have a Friend with a 12 valve Cummins with an auto I could get for my next one. If the 52 Merc flat head didn't run, I would have gone diesel this time.

A deck truck can come in real handy for your future projects

11. ...I made this F-4
    [​IMG]
    into this,...no big deal, do it.
    [​IMG]

12. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

My opinion is to go with the F-1 idea unless you want a big heavy truck. Just swapping the F-1 axle under the F-6 frame is a lot of senseless work to have a heavy frame on axles made for a lighter truck. A big hot rod truck might sound cool and unique but with the price of gas unless you have bottomless pockets it's best to get the best mileage. There is way too much work to use the F-6 frame.

One more thing no one has considered about the F-6 frame is it is double layer frame, look inside the frame from about the front of the cab all the way back to about the rear axle and you'll see two layers. Usually, unless you're in a really dry area, there will be rust pushing the two layers away from each other. I've had about a half dozen or more of these big trucks and every one, except one I got out of dry Colorado, had a rotted frame.

As for the price of the frame, if it's a stripped down frame with the axles and complete steering set up I don't think it's worth $500. If you were just buying it for parts, I'd say $250, tops. But since you're looking for a frame it has a little more value to you. You don't know how long it will be before another comes along so $500 isn't too bad of a price.

13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Although not a HAMB friendly idea you could do as I did and swap the Cab onto a later frame. F4 Cab onto a 1977 F350 Chassis. Use almost every thing from the donor chassis brakes, steering column etc.
    < See Avatar.

14. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

Great ideas, keep the pics coming, really like the f4 rusty1

15. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

Any other pics hotfr8?

16. Definitely a lot to consider here. Bobj49f2 is very knowledgable on these great trucks; I know I've learned a lot from him. I'm currently restoring an F4 for gentleman. It's taken a lot of time for sure and other things have taken up my time lately but I'm hopeful to finish it before the end of the year. fingers crossed.....

17. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Send me a PM and I will find something to give you some more ideas.
    [​IMG]

18. JF

JF
    from Utah

as another option just keep your eyes open for a reasonable complete or mostly complete F-1 truck. (or maybe an F-2 3? you will need the fenders, etc anyway so you would hopefully be a few steps closer to having all the parts you will need. if the F-6 cab is in good shape use it on the F-1

I've picked up mostly complete f-1's F-2's etc from anywere from $300 to $800

you can never have enough parts.

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

F-1s have their own fenders, front and back, with smaller wheel openings and are getting very hard to find good steel ones. F-2/3s share front fenders with F-4/5/6. F-2/3s have their own rear fenders and boxes that are different than F-1s. Dennis Carpenter is advertising on their website that they are going to start selling reproduction steel front fenders but they are going to be pricy. You could go with fiberglass, there are quite a few vendors who sell them.

20. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Does your truck have 5 lugs or 6? You can put newer axles under it, or just find tubeless rims for it., I have a set of 6 lug tubeless rims that came off a camper chassis that fit rockwell axles. Dodge and Ford used them. 19.5 and you can put low pro tires on and it will drop the chassis. Slow rider cause of gears in that rear already. Otherwise if you can find a chevy 3500hd with the solid front axle, drop the body on it.
    Rust 1, love what you did to that truck, but that green 37 in first pick is killer!! Love that front end, and I also love the 40 ford heavy frontends too!!

21. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Ford used 5 lug Widow Makers up to the mid '50s on their larger trucks, F-7/8s had eight bolt, I think. You can use the 19.5" from a Dodge chassied RV but they'd kind of hard to find but still out there. They have the same 5 lug pattern as the old Fords. Installing a rear axles isn't too hard, if you can find an axle out of RV or early '70s IH truck with the same bolt pattern.

The front axle is another story, the old Ford have outside the frame steering, the newer trucks have inside the frame steering which operated completely different.

A frame swap is not for the inexperienced. There is a lot of measuring, cutting and welding involved. It's a lot easier to use the same vintage frame and improve upon with IFS or just modify the front brakes to discs.

22. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

Thanks for all the info guys, got another question that I think I already know the answer to. Was the F1 the only model with a regular truck bed? Anything bigger had flatbed/utility bed?

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Everything after the F1 as in F2 and bigger did not use the usual pick up bed. F2 was diifferent but still had a pickup style bed. That may also differ in diferent countries as here in Australia the models we had came from Canada and shared many of the Mercury parts.

24. the lights

the lights

My truck is an f2 shortened, if you find 16 inch rims I think it fills the front fender well pretty good. That would allow you to just swap the cab onto the f1 frame.

[​IMG]

25. BBro8424

BBro8424
    from Ky

So are those f1 front fenders or f2?

26. the lights

the lights

Those are f2 fenders, the bed was pieced together from other f1 trucks.

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

I have a 55 F600 and I am converting to a F350 using the same frame, just cutting it to stock 350 specs. Going to use the same cab and fenders and just put a flatbed on it. I would say yes to the frame at that price unless it's hacked up or obviously bent. Two ton frames are huge anyway and all the hardware and replacement parts are easily obtainable for the F1 frame in the aftermarket.

28. castirondude

castirondude

what did you decide to do? I'd keep it as an F-6, you can always take out a few leafs to make the suspension softer.

sko_ford likes this.