Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. That turned out nice Larry. I think the reveal gives it a little more style than just a flat panel would have.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Went out for a few hours and used the bead roller and shrinker stretcher.

Formed a small lip for the inside of the bodies new top lip.

Some welding and then smoothing with the sanding disc.

It will get a flange under it to hold the interior panel behind the seats.

One more step along the road :)
    Body lip 002 (2).jpg Body lip 004 (2).jpg Body lip 006 (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice work, Larry!

Here's another combination headlight/shock mount idea for you. A friend helped make these for my roadster.

[​IMG]

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice job Larry.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, coming from a builder of your caliber that means a lot :)

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm likely boring y'all :D

With a build like this there are so many tedious little things, things that just eat time.

I am always amazed by the guys who just crank out builds at breakneck speed, it doesn't happen for me. :)

I wanted to massage the weld seam in the passenger door to metal work the patch panel weld seam which had sunk in and was depressed.

So with no access beyond 2 holes I decided to cut part of the inner door out.

Hammer and dolly weld seam and then weld in new metal. Then install new Wescott hinges (which had to be welded up and the holes relocated to match the body and doors) the old hinges were sloppy and worn loose.

After that weld in a piece of 1/2" thick steel into the thinner square tubing, threaded for the new door latch striker plate.

The door now swings nice, is solid and fits and closes nicely. Next the drivers door :)

The devil is in the details so they say :D Larry.
    Door 002 (2).jpg Door 001 (2).jpg Door 004 (2).jpg Door 003 (2).jpg Door 007 (2).jpg Door 009 (2).jpg

Lil'Alb likes this.
  7. 29ToyA

29ToyA

8. daddio211

daddio211

Yawn..... :rolleyes:

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks pretty good. :)

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Drivers door done :)

All day yesterday to get it done right.
    I think I have finally ironed out all the problems with the body.

I purchased the body with part of the work done,some patch panels etc.

If you read the thread early on you can see some of what I had to do to get it right.

And following along it becomes obvious that I still had a ton of hours to get it all ironed out,including rebuilding pretty much the whole rear of the tub.

The guy did some good work, some hack work as well. Things like a crooked off center tub and putting in the new metal and folding it over swiss cheese rusted subrails etc.

I guess he figured that if you couldn't see it that it didn't matter. :confused:

The drivers door required some rust replacement on one lower corner,again the new metal of the patch panel had been folded over rusty holed up tissue paper thin metal :eek:

Now I can move on to things like placing the steering and brakes and building the floor. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. daddio211

daddio211

Gooooooooo LARRY!

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

More snail like progress :) But hey it is progress none the less.

Built the steering box mount and put it in place, then carved a hole in the firewall for the borgeson u-joint to poke through.

Also started making seat belt anchors for the belts that are on the way.
    steering box mount 001 (2).jpg steering box mount 002 (2).jpg steering box mount 003 (2).jpg steering box mount 004 (2).jpg steering box mount 005 (2).jpg steering box mount 007 (2).jpg steering box mount 006 (2).jpg

13. daddio211

daddio211

Wow, cool mount!

14. 296ardun

296ardun

Been watching this thread...great workmanship, not only on the steering mount, but the whole thing...thanks for sharing the progress, yes, it takes a long time, but looks like you are getting close...

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, each little step inches forward :)

Larry.

16. Kramer

Kramer

Nice looking mount. What's the story on the shape of it?

[​IMG]

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks.
    The story on the shape. It just kind of evolved that way. :) I started with a posterboard template of the base of the Flaming River reversed Corvair box.

I built the whole mount with poster board and masking tape as a mockup before cutting metal.

The curved portion follows the base plate and has the large hole which follows a theme of holes on my build and also provides access to a mounting bolt for the box.

The bottom part that sits on top of the 2 " wide frame rail has the slotted section so it won't fill up with dirt or water.

It is then gusseted for support of the box as you can see.

It sits the box up where I need it about 2 1/2" above the frame rail, and should be strong too.
    template 001 (2).jpg

18. Kramer

Kramer

Thanks, now that I look at it closer, I can see how it follows the shape of the plate.

19. Anything new Larry? Been wondering about this one.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not lately Tim. I was swamped at work, teaching a night course as well for pressure welders.

That is done now and I start summer vacation soon. On top of it all the pain and mobility issues with my left hip have returned with a vengeance.

Waiting to see the surgeon again to see if it's bad enough to do something. :confused:

I'll be doing what I can and if I have anything new to post I'll be here. :)

Larry.

21. Sorry to hear about your pain. sorry to hear you project is on hold. I hope you feel better soon.

golferforpar likes this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yeah, thanks Tim me too. I'm going to try some garage time soon and see if the pain is too much to take.

Maybe I can get something done :)

It will get there, gotta be positive. Should see the surgeon in August.

Larry.

23. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Just when I found a man and a thread to get me going in a motivated direction on my own build, we both get slowed down! Guess sometimes ya just gotta say: "It's break time" I guess...and remember it's supposed to be fun.

Feel well Larry.

24. daddio211

daddio211

Larry, so sorry to hear about the hip. My mom had a knee replacement a few years ago and her body is rejecting it, very painful. I can imagine what you're dealing with.

Prayers from my family to you, my friend. Hope things improve quickly for you!

Sent using the NEW Droid HAMB app from atop my toilet.

25. Hope the hip doesn't keep you away from your build for long Larry!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A knee joint being rejected sounds bad. Hope they can resolve that one. She would be in pain.

As I mentioned I'll see the surgeon in August and see if he will go for the only real solution a hip -replacement.

Old stuff always needs rebuilding :D
    Larry

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  27. daddio211

daddio211

Tell him you want the hot rodded version, not the standard issue, run of the mill, hip replacement! :D

Sent using the NEW Droid HAMB app from atop my toilet.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Update time :) The brakes have been figured out more or less :)

Spent a couple days in the garage, first was a lot of head scratching and measuring, then came a scale drawing on poster board.

Next I cut all the pieces and started fabricating the master cylinder mount and brake pedal.

I wanted to have the pedal behind the toe board, rather than coming up straight through the floor like on a lot of Ts.

Not an easy task as there isn't a lot of room.
    I think the way I have it will allow a little more foot room.

The M/C mounts to the tube framework I built previously and is solid.

Pictures below. :)
    464.JPG 465.JPG 466.JPG 467.JPG

29. Good to see you working again Larry. Nice to have brakes!

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I was going to continue on with the brakes and the floors but decided I had better wait for Speedy Bill to deliver the Lokar e-brake components I ordered.

So I put the brakes on that part of the project ;) and shifted focus to the dash. :)

I modified the middle of the dash I had built previously to better fit the 5" gauges.

I installed 1/4" rivnuts in the mounting holes, much easier than reaching behind the dash with nuts when installing.

Then a 4 1/2" hole saw and a 2" hole saw allowed me to sneak up on the final hole sizes of 4 5/8" and 2 1/16".

Sorry for the slight blurriness of the final picture with the Classic Instruments Hot Rod series gauges plugged into the holes.

Larry
    dash and gauges 001.JPG dash and gauges 002.JPG dash and gauges 003.JPG dash and gauges 004.JPG

Lil'Alb and juan motime like this.