Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clearcoating patina???WTF!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...how do you know this?

2. Originally Posted by wojojo [​IMG]
    if you clearcoat cat shit it won't smell as bad

P&B.jpg

Pork & Beans clear coated over 20 years ago for an art project. Still doesn't stink.....:eek: Should work the same for cat shit.....:D

3. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

This thread has some great one liners. If your not reading it for the topic at least take in the wit along the way. Very nice work.

4. When I was growing up in the 50's Patina was the Indian girl that lived on the next block.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

A buddy clearcoated some bisquits one time for his wife, to use as a center piece on the kitchen table. Local bakery didn't seem to give a shit one way or the other. Odd...

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I don't think ANY hack is going to use water-based clear coat...I don't believe it has been invented yet...!!!

If I'm wrong, tell me where I can get it and what brand it is...

R-

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

In the old days "Patina" was when you lived on a dirt road and you washed your car once in the spring and once in the fall.

8. The the statue of liberty has patina. And the patina on the statue is actually more resilient to the elements than the original surface of the metal.
    it has had patina on it since 1875. is that traditional enough?

A guy likes the way his car looks aged and wants it to freeze in that state. So he clears it and slows the aging process.

Maybe he wants to have everything else done right on the car, then get to the body, but he wants to protect the body is it really that bad?

9. I'm glad someone else understands the entertainment value of the HAMB!

10. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

And that's all I have to say about that!!!!

11. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

this place needs a build thread only section of the board so I dont have to sift through 65 bitch threads before finding the reason i'm here.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

best damn comment in the whole thread.

Patina is easy. Stripping a car, fixing the rust and damage, doing bodywork, blocksanding and painting and clearcoat is hard. I personally like hard work.

13. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I wish my car was made out of statue of liberty. Then maybe I wouldn't have a growing rust hole in the trunk.

14. if it was made of copper you would have to worry about the tweakers stealing your body to scrap it.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You REALLY thought a thread titled "Clearcoating patina???WTF! " was a build thread???!! SERIOUSLY??:eek:

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you clear coat patina does it have to be wet sanded and buffed?

17. ridesrodsandribs

ridesrodsandribs
    from Canton, OK

I agree. Hobby Lobby makes a living off of cool old "Patina" items. I say preserve it if it's in good condition and looks good. If the person who puts the clear coat over it has the goal of finding it, making it mechanically sound and selling it like the Monkey's do then fine. It's easy to remove for the next owner and they get to do what they want about the paint and make it their own. If I were to keep my 55 Rocket I wouldn't paint it. That's my choice if I like the aged look.

18. eddie1

eddie1

Too true!

19. raidmagic

raidmagic

Now that's funny. You crying about how a car looks but he needs to get a life. Genius:rolleyes:

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

Now that would be classic!

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Well, in this case you CAN fix stupid. I bet he drives it with his leisure suit and platform shoes on. :D

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

What I think is funny - talking about every single little thing you should or should not do to your own fucking car instead of just doing it. Some things are just better going untold.

23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Everyone is so angry today. I love the anecdotal threads on the HAMB. They make me laugh and cheer me up. I think its sad that everyone gets so worked up, and funny how those that find this thread annoying keep it at the top by posting to say so. If we just stop posting to it then............ crap.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  24. metalshapes

metalshapes

What I think is funny is how one Thread can go one way, like this one where hardly anybody has anything good to say about clearcoating Patina.

And this one
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520460&highlight=wagon+clear+coat+patina

,which is 14 pages of mostly praise and adoration over a car that it was done to.
    ( even with its big inch wheels and low profile tires...)

What the two Treads have in common, is that they were Closed later than they could have been...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.