Register now to get rid of these ads!

1st time running at Bonneville... Any Advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So it looks like we're finally going to make it to the great white dyno. I have been assigned the position of "crew chief" on our PRO/XXO 1936 Buick Century.

I can practically recite the rulebook from memory, have read a few of the checklists available at Landracing.com, and I still have the feeling I'm going to forget something.

What advice can you guys that have "been there, done that" offer a guy who's about to break his Salt racing cherry?

EDIT 7/19/2013
    (copy and paste from page 2)

I do have a question about registration, maybe you guys can help clarify. I know we can submit our (late) entry form and register at the event, but do you NEED to be a member of BNI and ALSO a member of one of the SCTA clubs?

We have our entry number, #3663 running PRO/XXO, so please go easy on the rookies in the black '36 Century.

Edit 7/28/2013

Couple more quick questions, the rulebook isn't exactly crystal clear....

1. Running in PRO/XXO will we be burning event gas or do we need to bring our own? Just to clarify, GAS. Not fuel.

2. Can anyone clarify the difference between C/CGC and PRO/XXO?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Of course you're going to forget something. But you won't remember what it is until you are on the salt. That's the rule. Don't worry about it. Whatever you forget there'll be someone there who will have it.

3. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Remember you are not alone. We run a blown fuel streamliner and are a HAMB friendly pit area with several hot rods. Come by anytime 7800 A/BFS running against Al Teagues 20 year old record of 409 mph.

4. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

Run hard and have fun that's all that counts right.

5. joee

joee

remember ur doing what thousands of us want to do.......good luck

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

You will do fine. Anything that you do not have when you get there will be, bought, borrowed, or redesigned so that it is not needed. It sounds like you have prepared yourself as much as anyone can. Remember to have fun.

John

7. Don't stress too much, you're there to HAVE FUN.

8. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Establish your pit area first. Get in line for tech as soon as you can. Do not take it personal if your car needs something before it passes.

Attached Files:

9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

You know that old oval track saying "go fast turn left"? Well only do part of that.

Have fun, sounds like an adventure brewing. Keeps us up to date.

Nice.

10. Latest news from SCTA is that new equipment has been secured for live internet audio from Speedweek.

J

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Pretty much sums it up!

I like to get there Wednesday night, so that I have a full 2 days in tech, if needed. If we don't need it, we have extra time for sightseeing and BS'ing in the pits!

Good luck!

12. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Dont let him fool you ---- sightseeing and BS'ing in the pits! that's all he does besides bossing us around --- :eek:

13. Take my advice....drink plenty of water! hahaha

14. Another tip....don't argue with the SCTA Tech guys. Remember...they want you there,they want you to be sucessful,and they want you to be safe!
    Whenever you get a chance,sit down and take a breather.
    Oh yeah...have fun!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's your first time going along with the first time as a crew chief or crew member you need to read the advise to first time on the salt threads too. Mainly protect yourself from the sun both from above and off the salt and stay hydrated and make sure those with you do the same. There are few things more miserable than a guy or gal who got fried by the sun out on the salt flats. It's no place for pets or little kids either.

Have a battery powered portable radio (with extra batteries) and a CB radio so you can listen to what is going on. In the past at least you catch part of it on the SCTA low power radio band and part of it on the CB.

If the driver has to make a license run I'd think that mounting a hand held gps in the car so he can read the speed might be a plus. It beats catching flack for not running at the right speed to qualify for that license.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At first I took everything I could think of. Over the years I cut that down to a pretty light load. I really go there to run the car. Not to work on it. And remember, the inspectors are your friends. They are helping you. As BB said. don't argue. Listen.

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

"Thou shall not be lean"

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

That REALLY hurts, Don.

Even if I resemble that remark! LMAO!:D

19. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Is the cooler in the shade?

Sunblock.

Sunblock.

sunblock.

Insert "Drink water" between each entry. If you aren't pissing clear you will soon be sick.

Try to follow etiquette (no one will tell you doo doo) so some old timer doesn't stroke out.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  20. What they all said.

Build, practice and follow a staging routine. You do not want to be stressed while strapping your driver in. With Tims #416 we have it down pretty good, but it was not without speed bumps. We know we can easily strap him in in a couple minutes, that helps if there is a shutdown and the driver needs to get out of a hot car a couple places back in line like we had last year.

21. Go to landracing.com and read the info there,,, shouldn't need much else. Have fun,,, and drink lots (water included) !

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Make sure everyone's duties are mapped out.. Who is the driver, he should only be the driver, Crew chief, yea he is in charge he needs to make sure the car is ready, the belts are ready, where you are in line up, how many back from the line to make sure the driver is in the vehicle and belted in ready to run, the starters will love you. Crew, get the car to the line with all the necessary parts, tow rope, firesuit (you would be surprised) helmet, make sure everyone drinks and know where the bathrooms are at on the start for the 'oh shit I have to pee' another happens all the time.
    And Before All of This,,,, Make SURE you are at the Rookie Meeting Saturday Morning after the Drivers Meeting you HAVE to be at. Listen to Nathen, he has been there and done that, even download the brochure from the SCTA web site before you go. Drive the Salt,,, watch,,, listen,,, learn,,, have the greatest time of your life for the rest of your life.
    And can I say this,,, yea Trent you know it is coming,, buy a Speed Week Calendar.
    See you at the line!

23. Or you will end up looking like Bob!:D

Bob, you are going to get sick of all of us telling you to drink water this year:p;)

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just pray that the final official before your run straps you in as tight as Bob Higbee used to.
    Always reminded me of my mom tucking me in at night...the anticipitation:

"If I die before I..."

25. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm really looking forward to this trip.

26. if you see Jim or Nathan coming toward your car make sure to take a deep breath and hold it while they "tension" your belts. My windshield raises up about an inch when they pull the shoulders tight.

27. Yep!:D

28. RDR

RDR

take an umbrella and don't worry about looking like a woose....your driver will love you!!

29. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Go early, make sure everybody helping out goes to the drivers meeting and the rookie meeting. They will learn how things work and might keep from doing something stupid on the track. All push vehicles must have a cb radio and all pit areas must have a tarp under the car, this year all pit vehicles must have an OHV sticker if its not a licensed/registered vehicle. G-Man

30. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Being your first time you will learn a lot. You will find lots of help from fellow racers as you set your sights on getting the car up to speed carefully. Even with many years of experience trying to set a record is no easy task don't get frustrated if things don't work as planed for your first time. What you learn on this trip will help on the next and so on. When the team I was part of set the D class blown street roadster record a few years ago it took us three years of hard work. So be safe, have fun, go fast.
    Ronnieroadster