Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. beatcad

beatcad

this one i picked up a few months ago. it's the same as the 2 guys that have one on page 28 but i aint got the top chest.
    i've no clue what it is but the guy i got it from said it was his grand-dads and from the 40s. i didnt believe him. who knows maybe it is from the 40s or 50s.
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. beatcad

beatcad

heres a couple more recent scores.
    yes this thread has made me a tool box whore.
    got this one on CL no name. no marking. who knows?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  3. Steelboxsteve

Steelboxsteve
    from Ohio

I picked this one up today. It has handles on the sides like a chest. Does anyone know anything about it ?

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. Steelboxsteve

Steelboxsteve
    from Ohio

I picked this one up today. It has handles on the sides like a chest. Does anyone know anything about it ? It says "Craftsman Commercial"

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. Missed out on this at the Long Beach swap meet, it had already sold for $50.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. ...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Found a 1954 top box to match my 1958 Snap On lower cabinet.
    I need to get them both cleaned up so I have an ideal place to store my old Snap on & Plvmb tools. -Andy

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

And my new personal favorite --- I was strolling through the Puyallup swap meet a few months ago and see an old tool box sitting a few vendors over. I make my way over and see a leather handle and small drawers...a really old Kennedy Machinist box.

It's got a $50 tag on it...then I notice a big bronze tag riveted to the top with the initials "AJN"....well those are MY INITIALS! So I keep my poker face and keep inspecting the box. It is full of early Starrett micrometers, dial indicators still in their original boxes.

Seller says "I don't want to take that home, make me an offer.". I reply "I'll give you $40 with everything in it" SOLD! I would have given him $100 for just the box.

What would you give for an old box with your initials on it?

-Andy

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. eye bone

eye bone

10. Nice one Andy! I love those old Kennedys;I have 4 or 5 of them that I use to store my knife collection in.Does yours have the removeable drawers or are they permanently fixed? Some of the square top Kennedy boxes have removeable drawers which makes it easier to clean inside and re-line the drawers if necessary.Did yours come with the front face? I had one that was missing that and made one out of black Lexan;worked fine.
    If the drawers need re-lining go to a fabric store and get green felt.It's fairly cheap(about $3 a square yard and that will do two boxes at least).I cut the bottom section using a Stabilo pencil to mark it off and an Olfa round blade knife(looks like a small pizza cutter)to cut the felt.Works better than a straight blade.Then I cut the vertical sides of the drawer in one piece and attach it with spray adhesive.The felt stretches quite a bit so be careful.It's easier to do it with the drawers removed.

11. Wardog

Wardog

My Grandfather recently gave this one to me, It's complete plus extras. He said he bought it just after he got married and my dad was born in 55.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. beatcad

beatcad

ok, so i did find a makers stamp on this box.
    it's the metal box & capinet corp. early 60s.
    appearently they used to make the boxes for snap-on.
    like a dummy i just sold it.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. Cleaned out my mother-in-law's garage earlier this year and came across this neat Craftsman tool box. Sorry I did not take a before shot but this is it finished. Thanks to 33anda3rd for help with the garage and a little paintwork:cool:

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  14. At first I was a bit disappointed that you didn't keep the original finish or repaint the box like new. :( But after seeing it next to the matching roadster I think I see what you were shooting for. And it looks like you hit the bullseye! :D

15. beatcad

beatcad

these are my 2 smaller gerstner chests(my big one is new, so not eligible for this thread). they're only on display for now until I get a better idea of their age. the wood one could be anywhere from the 30s to the 60s. who knows? the leatherette one is most likely 50s to early 60s. yeah, I know I can get a pretty close date straight from gerstner, but that costs 50 clams per chest, so I aint done that just yet.

[​IMG]
    and yesterday I scored a really nice 1980 snap-on top box. no pix now, but soon.

Okie Pete likes this.
  16. Thanks, it was a rough grey/blue finish and rust. The ribs were perfect for highlight stripes and the Craftsman tag on only on side . The Model A grill emblem fit perfect on the other side. I'm happy with it.

17. I like old stuff including tools. Every car has it own tool box....old tool box. I have my grandfathers old Kennedy machinist rollaway box that I started with, a no name small box in one car, a Kennedy small hand box in another and I just found an old Kennedy 1018 Cantilever Tool Box. Lots of my hand tools at home and at work are 20's-60's various brands, they feel better and last longer.
    Oh, and a un named brand bottom cabinet I got for my body tools.

Anyone know what the blue handled box is?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Okie Pete likes this.
  18. Not exactly a vintage tool box but rather a box of vintage tools.:D
    Found this at the local flea market the other day;complete except for the T handle.From the Rex Wrench Co of Boston Massachusetts with a 1906 patent date.Research on the Alloy Artifacts website indicates this company was only in business until about 1916. The sockets are unique in that the T handle the fits into them is adjustable for several different angles.They are also sized by number rather than dimension with a decoding list on the box lid.
    I'm going to try and make a T handle for the set as I doubt I'll ever find one. Price was right too:$15 for the set.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  19. By the faint oval on the top drawer of the black box I want to say it a Proto?

20. VenturaMotors

VenturaMotors

OK.. Here is mine.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Okie Pete and ct1932ford like this.
  21. 428kidd

428kidd

I picked this Craftsman tool box up at a local auction. Any idea on its age? I would guess late 40's early 50's . I found a local TN map from 1958 in it and a service discharge from the army for 1944. Let me know what you guys think , thanks .

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      344 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      307.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      413.3 KB
      Views:
    Okie Pete likes this.
  22. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Here are two that I found at flea markets within the past year:

The machinist's tool chest was manufactured by Star Chests of Chicago. Judging by the hardware, it was made anytime between the 1930's to the 50's. I haven't found any information on the maker, but it is of decent quality and all that was required to get it to the current condition was an hour with some polish, a rag and a vacuum cleaner. Lots of cat hair....

The J.H.Williams box measures 20.5" x 6.5" x 3.5" and was made when American manufacturers put real steel in their products ... it's 18 gauge and weighs about 5 lbs. Sadly, the socket set was long gone when I found the box.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. Found another old Kennedy tool box at a tool swapmeet today. I also found some other small old tools too...walked out with 4 tools plus the box and was only out $37 :D.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  24. big M

big M

I keep my body tools in this antique box, it was hand built in the '30's by a guy I used to work for. After he passed away, I was called by the estate attorney to clean the property up, thieves had broken into the building and stole most of the old tools there, even a drawer from this box, but I was able to salvage a few things to use.

---John

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. Here is my newest tool box:an unmarked wooden machinists' box.I re-did the felt inside but left the inscription on the lid:DCL March 1942 Mildred Clare. Not sure if she was the owner or not.There were some pieces of drill rod ground to various sizes that could have been some type of test piece along with the original keys.
    Gave it a coat of Red Oil(a liquid furniture preservative)and glued a couple of seams that were coming apart. Nice old box for $85.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  26. May Pop

May Pop

BigM
    Nice selection of body file. Most guys have no idea what they are used for.
    Ron

27. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

The SK came from my grandpa the aluminum one was given to me along with a bunch of old Smith torches
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. That's cool.
    Tinbender, to my eye, I'm seeing an "A" and a "W". Possibly Western Auto (?), not that I can remember seeing that style logo from them.

And yup, that is one big hammer for sheet metal, even the old stuff.

29. moparrun

moparrun
    from oregon

Hi first time responding to the board. This was a swap meet find in Portland last weekend. I have not found the middle box in the old catalogs. The bottom is very dirty, I have 3 other bottoms the same, one other top and this is the first middle box I have seen. The other roll around is a Powr Kraft, and a Blackhawk:D

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  30. Just picked up from the estate of my mentor >>>>.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      110.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      137.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG