Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage NEW Steel 5-Window coupe @ LARS - Let's Get Feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-Cal Speed Sacramento, Jun 10, 2013.

1. WaldenSpeed

WaldenSpeed
    from Pomona CA

pics chopping the second new 32-5 window......I don't give a shit what everyone thinks good or bad, I think the body is very nice.

Attached Files:

2. mattrod68

mattrod68

nice jig! cant wait to see the chop!

3. bent metal

bent metal

Can't wait to see it tonight. :)

4. The body does look good! HRP

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

All new 32's dont have any soul, so drivem a while and they will. Rolling bones use the brookville bodies from time to time, and no one gives them slack for using aftermarket. This is a super nice addition to the restoration lineup of parts.

6. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I would use one in a heart beat:D

7. I've spent a fair time looking at various 32 projects. About 3 years ago there was a FLAWLESS original 32 5 window coupe body for sale for $25000. Just the body.... let me stress this again.....FLAWLESS. story was it was used for the Wescott mold. Anyways. It was for sale for a LOOOONG time.

I think if you look you can find a comparable original body for a similar price. But you can't have it WHEN you want it or need it. That is the market for this thing. For the guy that can't wait....Personally if I had that kinda scratch for just a body. I would buy a original. But could I have it tomorrow? a week....probably not, I would be searching for one for awhile.

8. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Having seen the body in person I can say its perfect. An added benefit is the body parts available just about anything you would need to fix an old five window body. I know from experience how nice its going to be having the availability of getting the part's needed to fix an original body. Many MANY years ago I spent a lot of time and effort to save an old and abused Deuce five window body it needed a ton of work from being channeled and chopped and used for drag racing. Trying to find the needed body pieces to fix our Deuce coupe body took many years of searching. Now its going to be so much easier to fix that old abused body.
    Ronnieroadster

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is Wescott going to offer a 5w now?

10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

OK that settles it ! No one can build anything that was not made here and back then because it pisses off the few who have the old shit. The rest of us can just move along now.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Apparently, I've missed an awesome bit of bad news. I take it from the posting on this thread that Steve's Auto Restoration is no longer in the '33-'34 3w coupe business. Can someone direct me to any threads that contain the information on this? Thanks,

Frank

12. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Soon as I hit the lottery I'm going to buy one
    And paint it lacquer primer
    Job well done

13. 22 track

22 track

14. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

Saw the 5 window at LARS and also at Waldens Speed Shop the night before. This is a very well made and accurate repo body, the one at waldens has been chopped and looks awesome with the cut, they will be selling these also.

15. I saw it, touched it. Looked good. That is what the OP asked.
    As I recall, there was no question about origin.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll hopefully get to see you at Billetproof NW then and see it for myself .

17. I looked it over today and I thought it was well made and very acurate. I buy one if I needed another one.

18. Saw it at the roadster show today. I liked it

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I sense some of you would give a guy more grief for rolling up in this foreign stamped steel bodied 32 than a domestically shot fiberglass 32.

For all the guys calling this the work of the Devil because you firmly believe that a gennie body is the only way to go-be happy about the UP repro steel body.

Why?

1) every time a deuce searching guy steps up and buys a UP body for his build, that'll be one less guy looking for/at the gennie you're looking at. Less competition to compete against.
    2) you can use UP panels to replace the beat or missing ones on your gennie. No more waffled original quarters to restore or making Brookville roadster quarters 'work', etc..

Politics aside, a guy now has 3 options for a 32 5/w;

Original
    Fiberglass
    Repro steel

Sure, original Henry is ideal, but it just may not be practical or reasonable for some. The repop steel 5/w is a great 3rd option for some. It's between "settling" for a fiberglass body, and going through all the pains of locating and restoring an original (or paying a body man to restore yours if you can't do the metal work).
    We may have folks that are wanting to enter the hobby but don't care for fiberglass and just can't invest the time and patience etc. of restoring a roached out original body.

I foresee a lot of these being used in "new" Street Rod builds-new chassis, crate engine, steel repop body...

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I'm sure when UP set down to decide to invest in tooling, they thought, hey lets do this right the first time. We have ONE chance to impress the Ford puritst. Guys, better make it work, or there will be thousands upon thousands of dollars in tooling wasted. Example is Classic motor 34 3w. Glad they took the time for the "details", instead of just getting it close and saying, "no one will notice that detail". One guys avitair says, doing it right the first time is cheaper than doing it twice. I would not hesitate to buy one if I had 20 large in my hand.

21. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

We snapped a leaf spring and broke an axle on the trailer on the way home Sunday night so it looks like we might not make it to Billetproof unless we get the show trailer back on the road real fast. I'll keep you guys updated.
    Thanks,
    Rob

22. Hyfire

Hyfire

Damn Chinese leaf springs.... oh wait! ;)

23. TimDavis

TimDavis

As you walk out of Wal-Mart with a cart load of Chinese products every week.

24. Subscribed. :D One of these would look good next to my 55 Chevy...

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It would cost even more if made here in the states.

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:rolleyes:Yep.This one is getting REAL interesting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, the tradition poser army is on high alert. War is immanent!

Take it from a 1/2 crippled 42yr veteran of the restoration industry, this body is "free". Easily one can drop $20K+ in metal work, inner structuring, garnish mldg repairs, all of it. At the base price you've paid for the restoration of a 32 coupe body, NOT THE BODY. Same with the Carpenter 40, any Brookville, and a few other new sheet metal cars that have come and gone. And before you mount that great white stallion and proclaim how you do all your own, "So there...", save it. You're a minority. I do all my own too, but I'd spare myself the burns, the cuts, the blasted fingernails from missing the metal with the hammer, and the aches and pains at the end of the day and just buy one of these bodies in a heartbeat.

As far as it being imported, so fuckin what. The steel probably came from here to begin with. I applaud the introduction to market and look forward to building one for me or a customer some day. Can't wait to see it in person.

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

. Read this.then read it again. You're from michigan?

29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Saw the body at LARS and thought it looked great....the body is made overseas cuz its prolly cheaper there...if they built it here..the price wouldnt be competetive. I think that "real" cars are the ideal...but the supply is limited....I try to not look down on others cars because its what THEY want....if you dont like it...noone is forcing you to buy one. What if you had a gennie body but it was street rodded in the 80s...is its soul lost? What if you run a 331 Cad motor with a 4x2 Horne intake and Belond headers on an import steel body...no soul yet? Most cars are an amalgym of new and historic parts...that is what we like here right? I say as long as it looks right and has traditional hot rod parts on it ....its cool. Maybe one day they or someone can make it here for a reasonable price....that would also be ideal...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  30. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I checked it out at Waldens, it had me fooled, I thought Bobby just did some of his magical metal work on an original..In the world we try and play in, 100% USA made, just sometimes isn't feasable..Hell, 98% of us are guaranteed to have a non USA made part from a supplier on his ride..Looks to be a great product to start a build with and save a lot of the originals too boot..