Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a quote for a bag install on my 55 fairlane.. I think its a bit high

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingofthecrate, Jun 19, 2013.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$5000, give or take a few, is about the minimum going rate for that, around here. This is an expensive habit, good work is not cheap, and the guys who do it for a living have bills to pay, just like you.

2. good point

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Why spend that money on a look? With a young child make every buck count been there. Had my kids late and will be paying school loans til the end

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

paid 5 grand to get my hearse done and that was without a 4 link....it's money well spent if YOU like it....and personally I love mine....I've won a prize at least once every year at different car shows over the last 3 years,.... if that's your goal, it sure helps

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Drama queen. Why don't you look threw the what you believe is bullshit and see that some guys are trying to help you. My question is. Do you think it is a fair price? If you do then do it and be done with it. If not then get another quote. If you think that it is fair then lay down the green. If not get another quote. Seem easy doesn't it? One guy that can do it would think it was not worth it. Another guy that can't do it might see that it is worth it.
    Jay

6. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Good work costs good money. Actually, crap work usually costs less to start with and more by the time its done twice.

If your mate does good work and you trust him, pay him what he asks and you get what you want, he gets to feed his kids and your friendship continues to be in good shape.

And for the record, I reckon your car sits nicely already.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You sound like a guy who should learn how to do something for yourself, rather than complain about having to pay some poor shmuck to do work for you, cheaply, while you travel the world.

I'm just say'n...

Brian

8. Yeah,all I see is answers to your question.

You think it's to high,,,don't do it,,simple. HRP

9. zep058

zep058

To me that's a fair price, if its a friend ask if you can help and cut down some of the labour cost. If you can make cups while he notches you might knock a few hundi off the total.

10. Think about it dude! $2000 labor is $50 per hour for 40 hours! 40 hours doesn't sound too bad to do the job right + a little fudge factor for problems/extras.
    If the guy is trying to make a living at this work and isn't charging $50/hr. he is stupid.

11. Isn't this whole car thing about the look? What's with some of you guys? Costs too much to look cool when parked? It's ALL about looking cool, why else do we spend hours of our lives slaving over these things? $4500 is a good price, it's a shit ton of work and I certainly wouldn't do it for less

12. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

it also matters if the car is goin to lay or not? if the guys just setting it on the tires id say its a pretty hefty price. if the guy is doing all the wheel tubs and doing everything correct that price is more then fair though the bag parts shouldnt cost more then 1500... just my opinion ive had a ton of bagged cars and trucks and the only thing thats cost me a ton so far is my 54 because the dropped uprights are expensive and u cant just bolt some bag cups in the front

13. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Sounds about right for a reputable company.

Good parts, dual compressor, tank and controls will cost you 1500-2000 bucks.

I think i priced a cheap front and back controller and valves; it was $600 alone.

make sure the parts are good if you pay that much.

Don't forget the two or four link rear set up. another couple hundred in part and/or time.

Labor at 2000 is a tad high but $60-80 per hr is going rate. 3 days X 8Hrs = 24hrs ($1500-$2000) may take longer since there is fabrication and there is no kit for the install.

All in all. $4500 = fair going price

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Cool thats what I needed to know. I just find it funny how some dudes get uptight about when someone here asks a question about fair pricing. I have always done most of the work myself or the help of friends. I do not know how to weld. Just never got into it. I am bringing the car to him when I get home and we are going to measure the trunk and see if we even need to notch the frame or cut the trunk. He is also cool with me helping out so i can learn how to do some of this work on my own.. I am going to start ordering parts next week and I will need to put some more padding away to cover the rest so Im not left with no savings and something decides to break around the house..

15. If you can't weld, like the OP said, are the bolt-in kits a viable option?

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I dont see that being out of the relm of possibilities even cheap...How many days do you think the guys is going to have in it with one guy working on it. Figure 8hr days at 100$ an hour. Its not going to take one day or even two. Bet you if its done correctly and you were billed for all the time put into it you would really be suprised.

17. Plumb

Plumb
    from Dundee, IL

I paid 5K to get my Merc done. If he does good work it is a fair price.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The going-rate, at the better shops here, is $100/hr. We have a word for shops that charge $50, here: bankrupt.

19. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Hey man I know where your coming from and as a guy who has done a taildragger kit from Gambino I would say 4700 is a VERY fair price. Also it really is a lot more than just welding brackets in, I know there are guys out there that do it that way and may get down the road but those guys probably are the same guys that complain about how bad their cars drive too and blame the bags. But the most important point I must make is this you mentioned you have a 4 month old....Piece of mind for a competent install is priceless. We all want safe cars for ourselves as well as safe ones along side us and our families.

20. wizzard23

wizzard23

1. Go to Truck Stop. 2. Buy a "bag" for 19.99 3. Hang on bumper hitch. 4. Done

21. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Dudes are getting uptight because you are underestimating the costs of the job. Since you're a painter doesn't it bust your balls when people talk about how expensive a paint job is? Of course it does because you know all the work that goes into it and they don't. Same thing here.
    Air ride isn't a cheap endeavor. Trust me. I'm STILL in the process of unhacking a setup that was installed on my Galaxie by a "shop" that one of the previous owners had installed. I hope it was cheap (I doubt it) because it's been a nightmare. When I bought it I knew it needed some work, but it's now 3 years later and I have more into the suspension than the whole car and it's STILL not up to par.
    In my opinion looking for a "deal" on air ride is not much better than looking for a deal on brakes. What sold me on finally tearing mine down and redoing it was a blown airline and being stranded in the middle of the road laying on my front crossmember. I was able to McGyver it and get it home, but busted assed air ride is no fun, and sure as hell isn't safe.
    If you've got the cash, don't skimp.

22. Yeah, I'm thinkin' Wisconsin prices and $50/hr. is very reasonable here.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it is 2x expensive to live here, so everything is adjusted accordingly (except my wages).

24. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

that statement doesn't make sense to me

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you are underground, not paying taxes, carrying insurance, or obtaining all necessary permits, licenses, and certifications, or not workman's compensation insurance, let alone paying your employees well, or offering benefits, etc., if you charge $50/hr. here, you will be out-of-business, in short order.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  26. pride63

pride63

I see it quite simply . if you need to ask if the quote is too expensive, it is to you. Find someone to do it cheaper or do yourself. . If you think quote is fair go with it.
    Seems like an easy choice

27. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

My company charges $63 p/h for metal work and $45 for other being assembly /dismantle, wiring ,paint prep etc.

we are all of your above and pay our employees $25 p/h
    we're also in a commercial property .

we're doing just fine,we understand we are not going to be millionaires over night working with our hands.

28. lgh1157

lgh1157

This thread is gonna get locked really soon.

$5K is alot of money to most

Bagging a car with a 4 link is a huge amount of work

Dropping your car off, paying $5k and cruising out of the parking lot would be an amazing feeling. . . . . especially if the work was done well [obviously]
    I dont think asking if the price is fair is wrong.

When i couldn't afford to pay for custom work, . . . . . . . . . i went a bought a 220 Lincoln welder and taught my self, . . . . . but if i had the $5K, . . . . a spare $5K, i would have considered dropping it off and dragging that ass all the way down the blvd

L

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Denver real estate and wages and COL are not those in the San Francisco Bay Area. My point is, a dollar value for a job is dependent on location, in addition to everything else. Looking at the number alone, does not tell the whole tale. $5k in Denver goes a lot farther than it does in SF. There are shops here that only have enough to pay $15-18/hr., after overhead is covered.

30. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I work for an air suspension company, and $4,500 sounds like a good deal.