Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 216 as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rabidmonkey, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rabidmonkey

rabidmonkey
    from NC

I am looking to taking the plunge into buying my first classic. Currently I am considering a 52 Chevy with the original 216 engine. The body and engine appear to be in good shape in the pictures and I don't want to waste the guys time by going in person if it won't be a good fit for me.

I would use it as a daily driver and on average drive 30-40 miles a day at 40-55 miles per hour.

My question to all of you is do you think the 216 would be able to hold up to that on a daily basis?

I realize in the long run it'd be smarter to throw a 235 or 261 in but I will not have the funds to do so for quite awhile so would the 216 get the job done without holding up traffic at 35mph in a 50 zone or crapping out on me? Thanks.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dont know why it wouldnt thats what the car was sold for originally

3. 1Bad67

1Bad67

It was designed to in 52. Why are people so afraid to drive old cars daily? Thats what they were ment to do. Of course they need to be in good condition, but really?

4. birdman42

birdman42

Go drive the car,that is only way to know if it will perform or not.

5. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

If the engine is in good running order there is no reason it could not be used daily. It worked well in 1952 as a daily driver for the owner and will today.

6. DirtyJohnDeereHat

DirtyJohnDeereHat

My 50 Chevy has the 216 and 6 volt system. I drive it all the time. I drive it to work all the time and drive it all weekend . I drive 65 mph and it pulls hills pretty good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

52 Chev with manual trans, engine has babbitt bearings and low pressure oil system. 45 -50 is about all they would do without damaging the engine, 60 was chancy.

30 -40 miles a day would have been within its capabilities when new. Now that it is 60 years old, who knows.

Plus, cars of that age required a lot more upkeep than today. Oil change and grease job ( 20+ grease fittings) every 2000 miles. 1000 without an oil filter. Tuneup every 5000 to 10000. Brake job, starter, generator, all had a life of 20000 to 30000 miles.

I wouldn't chance it unless I had a late model vehicle for a backup and unless I could afford the upkeep, in time and money.

You would be way better off getting a car made 10 to 20 years later. Even another 6 cylinder Chev, they were much improved by then.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I say go for it, just as long as drive it as it was meant to be driven, nice and easy. They are reliable as long as you run them the way they are supposed to be ran. Remember, back then, there were no freeways like today. Drive it cool and don't forget the maintenance. That's very important for old cars. So keep it tuned up and well oiled.

10. rabidmonkey

rabidmonkey
    from NC

This is what I needed to hear. Thanks

11. rabidmonkey

rabidmonkey
    from NC

This is what my original concern was in the first place. I'm okay with keeping up with the maintenance, I guess the question is if I'm ballsy enough to just go with it or not.

12. My neighbor has driven his 53 chevy pickup as a daily for the past 20 years. not saying it has not been off the road for maintenance in that time.

Another guy at my work drives a roadster daily for the last 20 or so. he hit a deer and it took him about a month to get it straightened back out but its back on the street. he even drives it in the snow.

If you are not afraid of the maintenance and can deal with going on the slower side of your speed estimate than it would be a bunch of fun. remember vacuum wipers are fun

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone with mouse balls is ballsy enough to drive an old car as a daily. If it's kept in good operating condition there's no reason not too. It won't stop as quick, or accelerate as fast as most on the road, so you do have to pay attention to the idiots and give the car a little more space to do its thing. I drove a stock 37 Buick to work nearly every weekday from 2001 until about 2004, 25 mile round trip. Only stranded me one time, early on, and that's because I thought the gas gauge was accurate.

14. customcory

customcory

Just watch the rpms with the babbits. My dad drives his 50 Chevy all the time with a 216, just went on a 200 mile trip this weekend.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

I don't know about that... Chevy sold near a million of those lumps a year from 1937 until 1953... And no owners tried to drive faster than 50 mph? And no big trucks equipped with those engines wound tight against the governor at 3200 rpm for extended times?

16. I'd go in and replace all the 'dippers' on the rods. I've seen too many of those fatigue with age and break off and a tossed rod is usually the result...

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Stay on top of the maintenance and drive it!!!

18. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Drive it, but save and look around for the 235 or 261 down the road.

19. Curt B

Curt B

When my truck had a 216 I was gentle with it for many of the reasons brought up in this thread. As soon as I had a rebuilt 235 on standby in the garage I started driving it like I stole it and gained a new level of respect for the dreaded "Babbitt pounder". Go for it!

20. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

I drove my '53 Chevy everyday with the 216 and it worked great! Just watched the rpm and kept her maintained! Let's see some pics if you get this '52 and best to you!

21. YES , YES , YES !!

said from my 15yrs of daily driving my '40 216.

if someone says no , ask for their engineering degree and evidence of their experience.

22. Johnny La-Chingas

Johnny La-Chingas

I drive my 51 chevy 2 door coupe with the original 216 daily. She handles great! I only drive 7 miles to work each way but I would drive her any where! She is still a 6 volt but I replaced the old generator with a 6 volt alternator never a dead battery. If you don't mind the maintenance and the oily drive way than go for it..

23. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Stay on top of the maintenance (that's part of the fun of these old cars) and you'll be fine. A guy I know had a 216 in his '39 coupe, decided to upgrade to a 261. So, when the 261 was rebuilt and ready to drop in he decided to just beat the 216 to death and throw it away. He drove the living crap out of it. For 2 years!! 45-50mph? don't make me laugh. He finally gave up trying to blow the thing up, took it out and sold it to make room for the 261.

If your '52 is a powerglide car it has a 3:55 rear end, they'll cruise at 65 all day long. If it's a stick, a good upgrade is to put a powerglide rear end in there, torque tube and all, it'll love the fast lane!

24. rabidmonkey

rabidmonkey
    from NC

I'm blown away with how fast and how many responses i've gotten in such a short amount of time. Thanks to all.

25. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I drive the heck out of my 216. 55-60mph is no problem and my truck has a 4.11 rear.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's not a question of balls.

What do you do when something goes wrong, which it will? Do you chance it and drive to work anyway? Or do you drive your modern car until you get the chance to fix it? What if it starts knocking or acting funny on the way to work? Do you push it or stop and call for help?

My father drove Chevs like that when they were common used cars. One blew a piston when he tried to find out how fast it would go. Another had transmission failure. Another, brake failure. In each case he took it to the garage to be fixed or went and bought another used car.

I'm saying go ahead and get the Chev and drive it to work as long as 1) you don't mind doing the maintenance and 2) you have a backup if the car is out of commission.

I should also add, if you have an auto club membership to get a boost or get towed home free.

I'm not trying to be a prick. I know what it's like to drive old cars. My present transportation is a 20 year old pickup truck. You need to be aware that old cars are not always super happy fun time.

By the way, to all you guys who drive 60 year old Chevs as daily drivers, at 60 MPH or faster, for all those years, and the car has never broke down or given you an anxious moment? Pardon me if I don't believe it.

27. 2racer

2racer

1. gett aaa membership
    2. drive it til it stops
    3. get later engine and trans
    4. repeat step 2

28. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i drove a `53 chevy 1/2ton w/ 216 everyday for fifteen years while working as a carpenter. don`t expect to drive any faster than 50 M.P.H. keep plenty of oil in it and the brakes adjusted and you`ll be fine.

29. christopher 78

christopher 78

i had a 52 3100 i drove for two months to work. 51 mph max not fun when people are trying to run ya ass down!!

30. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

A performance simulation...0-68 in 28.7 seconds...

[​IMG]