Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a quote for a bag install on my 55 fairlane.. I think its a bit high

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingofthecrate, Jun 19, 2013.

1. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

an old acquaintance I ran into now does custom car work. I have been looking to get this thing bagged but I didn't think I was looking at a price this high, or maybe I am out of line??

He quoted me 4500 for a rear 4 link suspension.
    2 Viair 444c pumps
    5 gallon tank
    1/2 DOT lines and ODE valves
    gauges on the dash
    7 switches, and Universal Brand airbags

Now I know the cost of good labor isnt cheap, I just didn't imagine it costing that much to bag this car (not even installing an IFS either)

Now before all of your get on my ass about DOING IT YOURSELF.. I have dont all the other work myself.. I can't weld to save my life.. I paint and I can build engines and run wiring.. I can even rebuild suspensions but I do NOT have the tools for metal fab work.. plus I travel for a living and the few and between days I am home with a 14 month old makes it hard for me even to tinker like I used to..

So I am wondering what you guys feel about that price

2. iroc409

iroc409

Have you priced out the parts? I have absolutely no idea how much they cost as I don't think I've even considered a full air-ride (just air springs for a previous off-topic truck as helpers), but all that stuff sounds expensive to begin with.

3. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

I priced out some things here and there. the guys at gambino kustoms quoted me 2300 n change for the whole rear tail dragger kit and bags and pumps with tank. so that leaves me thinking, ok.. another 2k to install it? that just seems like high pricing for a guy who does ok work to be charging to weld in some brackets and run wires and lines.. Its not like he has to retunnel my car.. I am not looking to sit on the frame.. just drop it when its parked and air up and go..

4. SUADES40

SUADES40
    from TRACY CA

thats pretty damn cheap. I can see him even doin the whole car with a bag over leaf setup assuming thats what the rear suspension is for $4500. the parts alone are expensive. now it also depends if he is doing any sheetmetal work after and how low you are going. wheel wells, drive shaft tunnel, over axle sheetmetal....

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm not a bag guy, so I have no idea what the parts would cost.

I could see a lot of labor doing a 4 link, some sort of notch and associated sheetmetal work in the trunk. first question I would ask is if I will see the tires or the ground when the trunk is opened. if the answer was yes, I would find someone else.

6. farmer12

farmer12

It's difficult to tell if the price is right.....what else, regarding metal work, needs to be done to complete it?

7. SUADES40

SUADES40
    from TRACY CA

ok I see. well I am the guy who qouted you at Gambino Kustoms lol. just to give you an idea of what we charge, it is $4700.00 to just install the taildragger kit. that is with no sheet metal. It could be a little lower depending if everything goes quickly but not much lower.

8. If its "just welding in a few brackets", do it yourself and come back here and tell everyone "how easy it was", LMFAO.

Its not a 2 minute job to do it CORRECTLY, nor is it as easy as you make it out to be. Odd that the guys that CANT do it, try to say how easy and cheap OTHERS should charge, that CAN do it.

9. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

He said that would include the 4 link in the rear. Mild notch. Monster notch would be another
    2k plus trunk work. I didn't include to ask him about covering the trunk but I'm not looking to lay frame. With the 4 inch blocks in now it sits low and I could get another 3 inches with a regular frame notch.

I guess its hard to swallow that kind of price since doing the majority of the work on the car with the help of friends and doing it yourself makes it a hard pill to swallow when you spend half the value of the car on suspension.

I have another buddy who is a master fabricator who bagged his own truck. If I go with this tail dragger kit that gambinos is quoting me for even if I paid my buddy a grand or will still be less expensive.

10. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Hey that's why I was reaching out to the hambers.. just seemed high to me and wanted to shed some light on it. I've got to make more metal fab friends. Lol!!! Anybody want to trade for painter friends?

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like a lot of money to look "cool" when you are parked.

12. Fenders

Fenders

If I was your buddy I would pass on this job.....

13. SUADES40

SUADES40
    from TRACY CA

It is a hard pill to swallow for alot of people. I quote people alot and its hard to explain the work that is involved linking and bagging a car correctly. If the $4500 is too much, I would just have your friend help you weld and show you how to install it, that way you can say you pretty much built the whole car yourself. My phone is also always on to help customers with answering any questions about our kit or anything else I can help with. Its simplistic but alot of work if that makes any sense lol

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I see it all the time. Folks always telling me, you just have to weld in a few brackets...........
    I had a 50 merc come in that was bagged already. It was either on the ground or 2" above. It was undriveable, but he saved money! LOL
    We had to fix it but the guy who dropped it, cut the sheetmetal over the rear side to side and over the driveshaft front to back and just bent it up. Tack welded a few places and sent the car on its way. His fuel hard line was also rubbing on the tire.
    After we got done, he had full range, we fixed all the fitting leaks. But he would not let us fix the tunnels. I made him sign off on how dangerous it was before he could leave the shop

15. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

I am curious why that is? Because I'm asking a legit question and your offended? Or because you think its going to be a nightmare job? It wouldn't required any welding up front. Just relocate the shocks and cut holes for the lines. All the fan work would be done in the rear. Also it must be nice in this economy with shops closing left and right to pick n choose what YOU want to work on. The cars not a rust bucket. I've rebuilt everything on this thing except for the interior. He wouldn't be walking into a Frankenstein car.

16. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I need a painter but those trades never work out..........unless they paint my car first..........otherwise the car will be in bodyshop hell for 4 years......lol

17. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

No you're right. Its probably nothing to the guy with money to spend but I always knew that if I wanted nice things I'd have to do it myself. I just bought a house so I have to make a conscious decision of what comes first. 4500 for the car to say and look cool or new kitchen floors so the wife is happy. Or save up longer and do both.

Priorities y'all :D

18. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

That Is a fair price

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend with a shoebox and he was MAD because he lost an inch, when he had to raise his car to clear his tires.:D I get being low, but being able to only scrap when the car is sitting still? But, it's our differences that make the world complete.

20. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Yeah I worked for a guy that had a place for cars that he did trade work for. He got what he wanted right away and we would have pissed off gang members showing up to his house threatening him to finish the car LOLz!!!

21. SUADES40

SUADES40
    from TRACY CA

Well you can always buy the parts now so you have them and take the rest of the money and put it into the kitchen! [​IMG] then once you have saved the labor cost, you will know who you want to take it to

22. Fenders

Fenders

Since you asked -- It is only because I think you would be a difficult customer.

Try to get three or four estimates, with the same brand parts, and see how they compare.

23. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Yeah I am NOT looking to peel reflectors off the street. Just put the axle on the frame when parked and air up and ride. I dont want to have to lay down to get into my car.

24. Yep, the guys that dont have the know how or the tools, or or its actually done, seem to be the worst ones to say how much it should cost and how long it should take.

There is nothing wrong with having guys build your car/parts, but if you dont like the cost or time frame, move on. If you take it to a few shops and think they are all high, then its time to learn to do it yourself, or live without.

I get it all the time. Quote 2 different guys the same price on chopping a car or building a chassis, one guy jumps on it and its rolling in no time, other guy says "it cant be that hard, Ill do it myself",,, 5 years later, his car is still undone and not much further that the time I gave a quote. :cool:

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"just to install the taildragger kit"

is that for front and rear bagged and ready to go?

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"nothing cheap left in this world anymore, except me and I ain't worth a plugged nickel" yep set your priorities, not always a easy thing to do. But, even if you agree to have a shop do the job it will not likely be completed overnite. a good shop is busy, especially now. or, have your kitchen tore up for a while.

27. hemiboy

hemiboy

At 4500 it is a good deal- this job is ALOT of labor to do right and to have the customer be safe.

28. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Lately I have been finding myself paying for people to do the work. I work in sports broadcasting as a power guy. I travel all over the world and often (in boston now for the stanley cup) When I have 4-7 days off every now and then, I find it harder and harder to carve out time to work on her anymore. Shit ive got 4 new tires that have been sitting next to her for over two months and all the re-polished trim sitting next to the tires and I keep saying "ok next time I am off, im putting the tires on... Thats why I have decided against bagging it myself. it would be sitting in my garage for the next year..

so for you guys making comments about cheap pain in the ass customers, can kiss my ass. I asked an honest question because I have never been the guy to pay someone else to work on my shit. As far as YOU not wanting to work with me because of me being a pain, i'd rather spend my hard earned money with a business man that actually gives a shit about making their work and customer fulfilled.

I never got excited after spending HOURS taping a roof and shooting, then sanding, then flaking, then sanding, then shooting and on and on just to see a customer bummed out. If he was stoaked then so was I..

Getting off my soap box now.. I guess Ill go back to sniffing paint since apparently I am not worthy enough to pay some of you MASTER TECHS the money to have to deal with all my crap..

29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

$4500 is a great price for a professional turnkey airbag install with all parts and labor included.

If you think it's too high, try doing it yourself!

30. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I did not see anyone say "cheap pain in the ass" customers. In my time I have only had one customer who was that cheap.

You asking does not make you cheap