Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Legal Dragster/Modified Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merek chertkow, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I used to live in wisconsin, but I have this thing for blown cars. They had this law about visual obstruction, so instead of crying about it, I left. Of course I had other reasons, but No kidding, that was a real factor. I moved to Georgia. Anything goes here.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

WOW, must be really slack about "street legal" in your area. No headlight, no front brake, no fenders?

3. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

wipers?, althought there was a 410 dirt car running around in Calistoga Ca. back in the '80's, he had lights, horn, wipers, etc.

4. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

Don't need headlights if its not dark, I would never drive it at night nor in the rain. (no rain hear for 5-6 mo.) It has four wheel disc brakes, w/dual master, turn sig. & brake lights, small LED front turn sig. do not need fenders. Look at most t buckets. There many hot rods in Utah- no fenders. Thanks every one, I really have fun building & driving it.

5. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

thanks. No the body came from Army Armstrong funny cars in Pa. I built just about everything else ie chassis, all brackets, arms, rods, motor, motor plate headers, mounts, aluminum panels, injector scoop. ect. ect.

6. Getting the registration and plates is the hard part, (believe me I know). If he is driving on the street and getting by, that is all that counts. Cool project, thanks for sharing the video.

7. I know of a 160" wb FED that was recently registered and plated in Illlinois. It should be on the road some time this summer.

Merek, can you post more pics of you car? It looks like a lot of fun and really bad ass!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. SLCK64

SLCK64

Not saying it can't be done but I dont think this one could be legally registered in IL. At least not after ya get pulled over by the fuzz.

On a side note, I've always wanted to do a funny car style burnout down the main drag of my town....in a funny car, this ride would suffice for sure!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Definitely cool, but would never fly in NY. Without headlights, wipers, etc it'd never pass inspection. But it is really rad and it's pretty cool that they're still relaxed in Utah!

10. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

OK Hear goes... The cops don't interpret the law, they just enforce it. Sure I might get pulled over for the way it looks, I will be respectful to the law at all times, and in the end, its is a lawfull-legal street vehicle, Hear in Utah, there is no motorcycle helmet law, I personally would not ride to the end of my driveway without a helmet, but guess what, you legally can ride anywhere in the state without one. We also have, places on our highways that the speed limit is 80 mph. Try driving that in most states and you get a speeding ticket, know why? Because its illegal. Get my point. Enough rambling from me. Have fun with your cars and try to help others build THERE dream and we will all be better off for it... o ya. Please don't tell me again that you cannot run Hilborn 4 port mechanical injectors on the street. thanks for your support. Merek

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  11. That sure is a wicked looking ride, sounds like Utah is the place to be!!

Did you get your Hilborn set up by them or did you do it yourself? The throttle response sounds real crisp!!

Have fun!!

Bill

12. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

I set the fuel system up myself with a little help form a friend. The hilborn 4 port came off an old 68 TFD, and a rebuilt hilborn 150a pump. custom trick spool from Mike at alkydigger, a dial a jet, 8 jet choices. We have a lot of altitude changes where I live. My home is at 4600ft, town is 2300ft. It took a lot of work and tuning at first (jetting, buypass two return lines and spring pressure) but now it fires right up and runs just fine. I just wanted to keep it old school, no electronic fuel injection. thanks merek

13. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Love it! Total hoot.........

Al in TN

14. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I was looking for you to do a burnout, at least in the driveway when you got home. Mabey next time? It is a mean looking car though!

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very Well Done Merek ,looks really sharp!

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing is kinda' crazy but I like it, reminds me of the daydreams I used to have sitting bored in class and staring out the window at the passing traffic. Dreaming of cruising the streets in a humdrum looking version of "Wild" Willy Borsch's AA/Fuel Altered and randomly blowing the doors off of the local wannabes!
    It's great to see a fellow day dreamer actually do it!! (Admit it, you sat in class with your head in the clouds doing the same thing!!:D)

Doc.

17. nitrodusterron

nitrodusterron

Are you the same Merek Chertkow that drove the Moonshot in England in 1964? If so then these bashers have no clue! Either way I think your car is the Balls and I am trying to do the same yet with a Funny Car!

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That thing is Great, Looks like it runs and drives perfect, , What do you use to lift the body? it looks like it takes no effort ,,I'd like to lift the body on my Comp coupe the same way, Thanks Tim Jones

19. 62nova

62nova

Must be fun in Utah. That wouldn't be legal in Texas.

20. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

yup... Same one. only maybe I am kinda getting to old for this kind of stuff. or maybe not. I don't feel anybody is bashing, Just questioning, and that's ok. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  21. nitrodusterron

nitrodusterron

Wow how cool! I hope people look up your name and see what you did! Very cool!!!!

22. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Guy that I traded my 27 T "Lil Red" with is trying to claim that it can be street driven. It's for sale on eBay right now....although it has been modified a bit. It has Hilborn 4 port and Hampton 8-71. Wouldn't dream of attempting to drive it on the street though.

23. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

love it! that must really freak people out.

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure a safety inspection manual for inspectors is a basis for vehicles to be street legal. Some states have "hotrod laws" that are an addendum to state vehicle codes.
    Oregon passed a hotrod law in May of 1996 that basically allows many exceptions to the vehicle equipment codes, if your car is 1949 or older, or replica of a car from that earlier period.

26. bobw

bobw

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info Merek ,,,, Tim Jones,,,,,, Merek's old ride:)

Attached Files:

28. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

TR WATER, Early Hemi to SB mopar trans adapters... WHATS WRONG WITH YOU. I never bash, talk trash, or try to knock someone down. But I am not even going to dignify you where in the Utah V. Code to educate you. What are you trying to prove, that your superior to other people, or are you trying to convince your self. It just so happens I took my hot rod to the Utah DMV and we spent over three hours going over the code. Guess what. ???? Have you ever left Vermont, or even looked over your own wall? I would think as someone in the business would try to encourage other hotrodders. Why are we even arguing about this, its on the highway. PLEASE SEND US ALL PICTURES OF THE AUTOMOBILE YOU BUILT.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  29. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

ok. you guys ..I don't even know why I am doing this. My car is registered as a vintage vehicle. Utah v code. Title 41 chapter 21 VINTAGE VEHICLES. Utah CODE 41-21-1 (2010) VINTAGE VEHICLE DEFINED (1)(A) WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1948 OR BEFORE; (B) (I) WAS MANUFACTURED AFTER 1948 to RESEMBLE a vehicle that was manufactured in 1948 or before; and (II) (Aa) has been altered from the manufactured' original design; or (Bb) has a body constructed from non-original materials; and (ii) is primarily used for (and it states many things (ie) exhibitions, tours, parades, and goes on to state (E) occasional transportation; and (F) other similar uses but not used for general daily transportation. (I don't drive for general daily transportation.) (UCA 53-8-205) A vintage vehicle does NOT require a SAFETY INSPECTION. I JUST TRIED TO SHARE MY BUILD WITH YOU GUYS. I am almost sorry I did. Thanks to you for the support. merek

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think I could have been that calm, well said.
    I know it isn't easy but you will have to dig through that first layer of BS, the rest of the H.A.M.B. is one of the best places to be for guys like us.
    Please hang around, most of the posts here are half surprise and half jealousy that we too can not get something like that on the road (Different laws and such) and nothing malicious.

Cheers,
    Doc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013