Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titling question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskewl, Jun 18, 2013.

1. oldskewl

oldskewl

Im getting a 64 C10 from a friend that has been sitting on his property since the 80's. Its not his so he doesnt have the title. What is the best way to get it titled? I wasnt sure if there was an easier, better, or cheaper way than having him file for an abandoned vehicle title then transferring it to me.

2. oldskewl

oldskewl

Going to grapb it Sunday. Want to make sure its not going to be too big a hastle to get one.

3. Every state is a little different, probably should check with your state's DMV or whatever they call it.

4. 5559

from tn

going thru the same thing in tn ----so far just gov bs----everyone i talk to has a different answer

5. oldskewl

oldskewl

Not sure how VA handles it. I know he can get a title because its his property, but wasnt sure if there was an easier way.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

See if your DMV can do a title search to find the previous owner. Get him to sign a release. Or your state may have bonded titles.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is it his property or not his and on his property?:confused: You said it's not his in your first post.

8. oldskewl

oldskewl

My other thought is my buddy putting a mechanics lien and filing for the title. Either way it seems i havebto pay for a title twice. Going to ask DMV before I do, but wasnt sure if anyone had dealt with this before.

9. oldskewl

oldskewl

Meant his land. It is on his property.

10. oldskewl

oldskewl

I was trying to say it is his property that it has been on all this time. He can file for an abandoned vehicle title.

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

12. oldskewl

oldskewl

So he can put a lien on it and sell it right to me?

13. LongT

LongT

14. oldskewl

oldskewl

I knew the abandoned vehicle process. I'm trying to see if there is a way to skip that or at least skip him titling it then I have to turn around and title it again. That site did have more insight into why that process is a hassle though.

15. oldskewl

oldskewl

Looks like I will just have to go the abandoned vehicle route. Thanks for all the input.