Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Things I've Learned About Chip Foose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The only downside to an Overhauled car is that if you were handed one back you would be afraid to drive it , the thing would be too nice and too valuable. :D But you sure could enter any local show and trophy, I bet.

I just watched the show the other night where the guy sold them his 65 Impala to feed his family and when they gave it back to him it was stunning. Very understated and totally redone. The guy was blown away, and they even threw in some extra gifts for his family. That was very touching to see.

That show sure makes some of the drama laden ones unwatchable. The producers of those shows could take a lesson from Overhaulin.

Don

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I met Chip and his father Sam at the MSRA Back to the 50's several years ago. Chip was only scheduled to make a short appearance but stayed to visit with fans until the last possible minute before racing to the airport to catch a flight. I don't care for some of the mods he performed on Overhaulin' but his talents are undeniable and he seems to be a stand up guy as well...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's so awesome! I wouldn't have thought anything other then that thought and I've never even seen him. His honesty and generosity oozes out even on TV. Some guys you see on TV and say "I could appreciate hanging out with someone like that!" and he's that guy for me.

I'm glad this life has given him an opportunity to do what he was put here to do.

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I took a piss next to chip at GNRS...that's all I have sorry.

5. ^^^^^^^^
    well ??

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That's it,i didn't ask him "hey your chip foose" that would be weird at a urinal, I could have asked for an autograph but he had his hands full

7. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Never met him but he has a GREAT talent. Know guys who have met him and said he's a regular down to earth guy

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I met Chip and his father Sam at the MSRA Back to the 50's several years ago. Chip was only scheduled to make a short appearance but stayed to visit with fans until the last possible minute before racing to the airport to catch a flight. I don't care for some of the mods he performed on Overhaulin' but his talents are undeniable and he seems to be an upstanding guy as well...

Attached Files:

9. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Acorn's do not fall very far from the tree!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd sure like to meet him. To have all that talent to produce a fine work of art and make everyone happy to see it is a truely speicial gift. Bob

11. autobilly

autobilly

Interesting. I have to admit, I hadn't given him much thought. I'll look at him differently from now on.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Even though I'm not into the cars Chip builds, I do have respect for the talent he shows in everything he builds, and the level he builds to! I met him at the Portland Roadster Show a few years back, and he is not one of those guys who is just signing autographs and trying to get through an appearance. He really seemed to enjoy talking with everyone, and happy to be there.

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I met Chip in an old town Orange County antique store...we talked for a little while about Overhaulin and like others have said....he is one hell of a nice guy. Talented? Anyone who has watched one episode of that show knows what he is capable of...from freehand, badass renderings, to designing wheels, body work, modifying bumpers to tuck them in and remove license plate pockets...he is the real deal! I could only dream of having 5% of his artistic talent...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've had friends meet Chip Foose and say he's a great guy.I met Boyd Coddington years ago and he was very down to earth.It's good advertising to be nice to your fans.

15. OrneryDuck

OrneryDuck

Awesome -- he has always appeared to be a stand-up guy and those frequently around him (Like Christopher Titus) emote as such.

Wish I had known this was happening, especially since that is my back yard (Disney). Oh well, there is always next year.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

He is the man that you see on the screen, just even better in person!
    A man of truly high ideals, proof that nice guys don't finish last.
    Glad I have had the pleasure to meet him and shake his hand.
    KK

17. I like many build styles, so don't mind the kind of cars he builds, they are quality above all else. That said, his own 32 roadster with the aircraft styling cues, certainly leans toward being an inspiring "traditional hot rod". Rhis hobby and our whole world needs more, genuine, talented, caring family oriented people like Chip Foose. What a fine human being.

18. cracker head

cracker head

Met him twice. That 'ol boy was raised right..

19. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

like everyone else .... been a stand up guy in my experience. showed me their terracuda project in his shop right after their had stretched it out. him and troy Ladd were way beyond friendly the time I met them

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

I haven't read all the responses, But wanted to get my two cents in on the Chipster,...

I have talked a number of times with him in Detroit, Usually after hours kicking him and other crew members out of Autorama as they work feverishly on whatever cars they have brought in to compete for the Ridler...

Yes Chip is the real deal, Quick with a smile, and a kind word, and humble and shy to receive a complement. One year when we had him signing autographs at Autorama he was only suppose to be up there a couple hours,... Three hours later he was still talking to every fan, signing everything imaginable, drawing little cars for kids, and generally making everybody feel special. He said he would sit there as long as people were in line because he didn't want to disappoint anybody...... ( The line went half way around COBO Hall). Finally we put a couple MHRA guys at the end of the line to let people know the line was closed, Several hours later, a parched tired and exhausted Chip Foose left the autograph stage.

I have told him in the past, With the drama and goofy relationships we seen on American Chopper and Monster Garage, It was really great for kids interested in custom cars and working with there hands,.. To have a real passionate car guy that they can look up to as a roll model... Not unlike the all American sports hero's of the past. He would look at me with that genuine (but kind of goofy and contagious) smile, And in a very humble way say "Thank you" In a way that you knew it was sincere and from the heart.

I think Chip is the very best Ambassador this old car hobby has ever had, and I beleive He is somebody we can be proud that a lot of young guys are mentoring after aspiring to be like....

However ! Between him and Charlie and Roy trying to find there car in the parking lot at COBO early in the morning,..... Let's just say, "Magellan,..... There NOT !" :cool::D:D:D

All I can say is Terri And Sam Did a fine job in raising a good Man.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I have not meet him personally but have a few talented friends that have worked with him over the years. Riddler winning cars. No doubt he is the real deal. Hard working, talented, no attitude, and can step into any part of the process and knock it out. Much respect.

22. Spork!

Spork!

I haven't met him (yet) but know his dad. Sam lives a couple miles up the road from me and is friends with a mutual friend.

I did meet Sherri and Mike at LARS this past Saturday. They said Chip is a great guy to work for.

BTW, Sherri and Mike were very cool too. They were just walking around and hanging out. Very friendly and didn't mind talking with us at all.

Attached Files:

23. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Meet him after hours at sema a few years back.

He was by his self in the overhauling booth way after sema closed and a guy next to me called him over for an autograph and Chip sketched out a 34 ford for him and after the guy said thanks Chip just turned to me and said Hey! and we talked for a while.

Super nice guy.....

24. He has an uncle in Grants Pass likes to sneek down and fish.

25. ALLISON

ALLISON

I don't think enough good things could be said about Chip Foose. I've watched him sit for hours after an autograph session was supposed to end, to make sure everyone that wanted to meet him, got to... and he has always been super cool to me and gone out of his way to say hello. The first time I met him was back in the GNRS cow palace days, and Overhaulin was at its peak...There was a constant mob of people around him and I was just a UPS guy that could draw cars then, but he wanted to see what I could I do and sat and thumbed through my portfolio for 30 minutes, all the while just talking car design with me... He's a super nice and genuine guy

26. Chip comes from a super nice family. I met them back in 1980 at the Western Street Rod Nats in San Jose. I was 20 at the time and asking around trying to bum a ride to Santa Barbara. The Foose family let me ride with them in their motor home and when I couldn't get in touch with he person I was going to meet they let me stay at their house for a couple of days and nights. Chip was probably 12 at the time and the drawings on his wall even then were awesome! I feel fortunate to have met his sister Amy who later died from progeria. We are all familiar with his dad Sam of course but I wish you could all meet his Mom Terry, she is a pure angel. I always feel good when Chip says hi to me at a car show. He has a hell of a memory.

27. should give his mom and dad credit they brought up a unique person

28. This- I work for MagnaFlow and he is one of our spokespeople....

Every autograph session he has ever been at for us, he alway stays way past his scheduled time because he wants to make sure everyone has a chance to meet him.

He has literally signed for hours after SEMA closed and would have kept going if the SEMA officials had not asked us to shut her down.....

Absolute class act. I cant say enough good things about the guy.

29. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I was visiting L.A. and made sure to stop by his shop for lunch hour tours. He wasn't there that day, but I stumbled into his office, thinking it was a gift shop. You could see this is a busy guy.
    I met him years before at a major Hot Rod show, and like everyone says, he had 20 minutes to just talk cars.
    [​IMG]

30. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I real dig his personal ride. The front suspension, and steering leaves you dumbfounded.

[​IMG]