Register now to get rid of these ads!

KROME 'n KANDY, brand new 2013 midwest show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLISON, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ALLISON

ALLISON

Here is an example... While those wheels are a tad bigger than I personally dig, I would much rather see cars like this which is done tastefully with a mix a tradition and modern, than see a rat rod.
    ... where doe this car "fit in" right now?

[​IMG]

2. ALLISON

ALLISON

heres another example.. I love this, but it wouldn't be allowed into a "traditional" show sporting those over sized Cragers...

[​IMG]

3. ALLISON

ALLISON

The date nears closer!!!!

4. Stacie

Stacie

Hi Everyone!

We're getting really excited for the show coming up now in 2 months!!! The response we've gotten while out promoting has been incredible! Sorry there is some confusion over the criteria being this is a new concept; traditional and traditionally inspired rods and customs without the rat rods. Anyway, I wanted to share additional event features. Also, check out the details at www.kromenkandy.com and on FaceBook.

July 19 - Parking starts at 2pm
    July 19 - Cool off inside for the Bowl-a-Rama at 5pm
    July 19 - Join the Beach Party at 8pm down on the Mississippi River!!!
    The Beach party includes:
    Minneapolis Surf Band, Thee Unholy 3
    '60's Pinup Contest, the Beach Bunny Ball
    Music by the Bad Companions with special Guest Dave Wolfe (formerly from the Vibro Champs)
    Interlude entertainment by the gorgeous Savannah Smith playing her Ukulele
    July 20 - Parking (cars can be left on the grounds over night) starts at 9am
    July 20 - Leonardo's Basement providing tools and support for kids 12 and up to customize a bicycle.
    July 20 - Raffle, silent auction, and scavenger hunt for prizes.
    July 20 - Music by Nordic Surf
    July 20 - Awards start at 7pm. Cars must be parked for judging by noon on Sat.

Additionally:
    '60's garage, rock, surf, pop etc. music throughout the two days by Wings Kalahan!!!
    Featured cars
    Meet the Rocket Man, Ky Michaelson
    Tent, Camper, and RV camping
    Hotel discounts if booked before Jun 18 or the block fills up
    Cruise route around the pond/show area
    Vendors
    Awards including $500 cash for the Design d'Elegance
    And more that we're working to lock down...

I'm happy to extend a few special thank yous to people helping out with the show so far.

Wings Kalahan
    Bruce Tschida of Lake Marion Collision and Restoration (Lakeville, MN)
    Don Rice of Rice Sound and Equipment
    Courtney Schaefer of Twin Cities Rod and Custom
    Dave Deusterman of Dusty's Garage (Baldwin, WI)
    Honey Anne of Hot Rod Honeys (Milwaukee, WI)
    Travis Fowler
    Kelly and Jeanne of Kelly's Hot Rod Parts
    Bo Vescio of Vescio Customizing and Restoration
    Troy Hale of Matco Automotive & Industrial Supplies
    Don Wallin
    our many volunteers
    and more to come...

Please don't hesitate to contact me via the website email link. I'd love to hear from you and answer any questions you may have. If you just want to say hi and tell me you're excited for the show, that works too. Maybe we'll start a fan section on the website. :)

We hope to see you all there!
    Stacie

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Just thought I would add that Friday July 19 night is the local North St. Paul car show! Happens ever Friday night and is awesome! See ya then.

6. What other "traditional" shows are you speaking of? Because "ALL" the traditional shows I attend in the midwest do not cater to or have a significant amount of rat rod junk.

7. VERY sweet ride, but it is not in any way, shape, or form a traditional hot rod or custom.

8. Baggs

Baggs

I think you just figured out exactly what Jeff is trying to do. A show for Traditional, custom, and those cars that most of us appreciate but dont fit into either category. I cant wait to go, and look forward to staying the night Friday and having a few adult beverages!!

Jason

9. I'm not at all trying to poop on your party, but how do you control the gate? So you are judging your gate on your personal taste? We try to quantify it at Symco, takes the pressure off the gate workers and puts the criteria in hard copy....you don't like it, see here are the rules, you don't like them, show us proof that it is pre-1965 style, we will update the rules. My gate workers don't have to judge a car by their opinion.
    Way I read your show, you will allow this guy with 20" wheels but not that guy with 20" wheels because it has a different look and feel to the car build? That is setting your gate guys up for a fight...and people do get pissed when they are turned away after driving hours to a show.

It's your show, and I love how you want to cater to the few guys who build an "old school" street rod. I personally like that style of car. Your artwork sells itself, top notch! I've just had a few people comment to me that your criteria is confusing as I thought so too. We have had our share of growing pains with ours.

10. Stacie

Stacie

Hi Cliffy,

Thanks for the input and concern. The criteria is pre-70 traditional and traditionally inspired hot rods and customs. What we will turn away are extreme rat rods that even a traditional hot rodder would call a rat rod and the owners themselves call a rat rod. Not the traditional hot rods and customs that general public will at times call a rat rod. I've had those people even call my roadster a rat rod. If a car falls into a gray area (no pun intended), it will likely get in. If it's an obvious rat rod intended to be a rat rod, it will not. I think Jeff's done a great job of distinguishing some extremes on the website and FaceBook.

This is all one end of the spectrum and some of the confusion probably comes from trying to message both ends. On the other end, we're excited to share and inspire people with home built and driven show cars like the Take-out T and Woodward Roadster. We're also excited to hear that Jeffrey William Jones is bringing his coupe that was shown in building B at Torque Fest and I've heard rumor that the Atomic Outkast may be coming. Also, local kustom friend, John Tretton will be bringing one of his kustoms...he just hasn't decided which one. I told him to have some friends drive them all down. :)

Anyway, I hope to see you at the show. We're really excited to put on a fun event for adults, kid's, and adults who still like to act like kids (like me :) ). If you're the organizer of the Symco Shakedown, we hope to make it to your show this Aug. My work travels and moving into a new house got into the way the last two years.

Thanks again for your input!

11. rickl

rickl

If you guys get bored looking at all cool cars Friday night swing by the beach party and say hi to our band Thee Unholy 3.

Feel free to shout out requests. If we know them, we will play them. Just don't keep shouting out SRV like the crowd last night :).

http://www.reverbnation.com/theeunholy3

Also be sure to check out the band Nordic Surf on Saturday. They are a great band and close friends of ours.

12. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

this sounds like it's going to be a killer show! Im excited as hell. Thanks for putting it on. I know the folks behind it have great taste & it should be a blast!
    Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

13. Stacie

Stacie

Thank you for the wonderful post and enthusiasm, Carl! We're really excited to put this show on!

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I can't wait for this show! New city and new gathering. Me and some buddies will be there from Kansas City.

15. Stacie

Stacie

Yay!!! That's great! Looking forward to meeting you all then.

16. trying to decide which car to bring
    proabbly will be the gas mileage driver
    but the trailer car is just so much wilder:eek:

17. Stacie

Stacie

Well, gas went up over Memorial Day weekend and has come back down, so I'm guessing like always, it will go up for 4th of July weekend and come back down around the show.

I look forward to seeing either one, but I'm intrigued by the wilder one... :)

18. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Careful what ya wish for Eugene has some wild wild rides. His entire stable is full of kool.

19. Stacie

Stacie

He should get some extra drivers to bring them all down to the show. :)

20. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I think you've got a great idea. I'd like to try and make it down with my new Deuce.

21. Stacie

Stacie

Thank you! and Great! I hope to see it!

22. Stacie

Stacie

...and another thing...

Meet Ky Michaelson (the Rocket Man) at Krome 'n Kandy. Ky is a former stunt man and rocket powered race car builder and first civilian to launch a rocket into space among many many other things. Here's a video his 12 year old son, Buddy put together on their vast family history. These are some amazing people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gTCHSyzgkw

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  23. Stacie

Stacie

I had a great time and it was great to meet a bunch of new people at Billetproof MN! I hope to see you all at Krome 'n Kandy!

24. coppertone

coppertone

Great to meet you at Billetproof. Can't wait for July to get here. Sure hope all you Kustom Guys and Gals get behind this show. Great to have a venue in our area that features Krome & Kandy!

25. Stacie

Stacie

26. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I've had to reconsider my trip. I can spend $600 to drive the 1300 miles round trip and attend or I can use that to buy inventory for a booth at another major show the following weekend in my own backyard. I wish Krome N Kandy all the best and I hope to be able to attend next year. Damn my calculator for not finding a way to do both!

27. ALLISON

ALLISON

We'll see ya next year then, and good luck at that other show vending:)

28. ALLISON

ALLISON

.... My buddy Dave Shuten will be out for the show, in fact he is going to be helping judge. Dave is one of those guys that understands design and detail, and has the kind of good taste we want to promote. Come out and say hi to him:)

[​IMG]

29. bluegras

bluegras
    BANNED

i would like to a bunch of photos from you guys and gals there.i sure would appreciate it very much,

Thanks

Allen bluegras Culver
    Streator,Illinois

30. ALLISON

ALLISON

There will be tons of pic mr. bluegras, I was told Rod n Custom is going to cover the event:)