Register now to get rid of these ads!

hinge availability?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bkvail, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bkvail

bkvail

We are looking for new hinges for our '36 Diamond T truck. I know it's probably a long shot, but we are holding our breath and hoping! We have 5 hinges, but one is bent and another VERY worn/sloppy.

Anybody know if these were used by a different truck brand too?

This hinge we removed the pin obviously:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sand blast the old hinge; then drill out the pin bore and bushing just to the next fractional oversize. Turn down the next size grade 8 bolt and round the head in the drill press with a file.
    The bore is done on the drill press.
    Deep pitting can be wire-welded in spots, takes a little bit but worth it when ground.

General blacksmithing could render one from an old spring leaf. (forge heat, roll the eye, hammer form; Trip to the drill press is inevitable...)

Unless you find a replacement...

3. T Fritz

T Fritz

I have overhauled them in the past. i install bronze oilite bushings in the centers and new pins. Rebuilding door hinges is 20% of my business. I just finished machining from billet stock the male and female hinges for the rear door of a 33 Ford delivery. he had most of the hinges and I was able to work out the rest.
    Tom
    shop# 763-241-1252

Here are a few pics of my work.

I have saved hinges in worse condition than yours.

Attached Files:

4. F&J

F&J

I have seen some that will get a tiny crack when you straighten one, but I would still go for it.

..and yes, rebush or go oversize pin.

5. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. mink

mink
    from CT

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Unless you find a direct replacement for the hinge, I doubt you will be satisfied with the fit and installation of one from another make. Check all the other hinges, with one that bad chances are others are also in need of repair. I would send to T Fritz for an estimate for repairing the hinge. Be careful with the home repair or it could become FUBAR.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

bkvail, you got your answer in post number 3. Send him your hinges and then you can move on to another part of the build.

9. bkvail

bkvail

We will be sending Tom the hinges to rebuild soon :)

Karin