Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another damn '55 straight axle build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacksheep55, Jan 16, 2013.

1. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Here is the radiator supports I made up today. Once finished and welded up, they will bolt to the frame so you can move the radiator for different motors.

Attached Files:

2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Really nice job man! Keep at it! Lovin the updates of your build!
    Jay

3. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Here is my car as of yesterday. I am about ready to take it apart and get to painting. I had to make a reverse rotation 525 saginaw box to run the pitman arm to the rear and make it steer right. All I have left to get the motor back together is bolt everything together and put on a different oil pan (moroso). I used conduit to mock up my drag link and tie rod, so don't think I'm a hack, I got chrome stuff coming.

Attached Files:

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

keep it up --- looking good...

5. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

COOL Car !!! Chris

6. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Here's a little update. I rolled it outside yesterday. I got all the mockup done and now I got it all tore down to paint everything. It should be running in about 3 weeks. I ain't gonna lie, I'm ready for it to get done.

Attached Files:

7. Butch M

Butch M

wow it's come a log way I know when mine was at that stage I could hardly wait to drive it keep at it look'n good

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Hope to see you at a red light in a couple months! ;)

9. jimstro16

jimstro16

Can't wait to see this thing painted.

Looking great with the stance and wheels

10. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

yor car looks great. Where did u get that hood scoop

11. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

cwright, the scoop came from Unlimited. Sorry I haven't been keeping the posts up guys, I have been slammed at work and trying to start a hot rod shop. I am having problems with the old L88 aluminum heads so my motor is held up for a minute but as soon as I get it straightened out it will be on the road. The car is now ready but I don't have a current pic yet.

Attached Files:

12. Looking good,HRP

13. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

It looks really professional, but I have a question, I don't understand why you changed the wheel base. Just asking...thanks

14. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

It is really an optical thing when the front of the car goes up, it looks like the wheels are too far back. Now I got a little greedy with mine considering I wasn't going nosebleed style, but I really dig the stretched out altered look and it sets it apart from all the cookie cutter "recreations". My wheelbase is about where Shakey Puddin's is at and I kinda consider that car to be the standard for all axle '55's

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:cool:Nice looking build.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Here is my steering all set up and put together. I would have had this car going a month ago but ran into issues with the '69 aluminum ZL1 heads I was using and have been chasing my tail with them for a month. I finally broke down and bought another set so I'm waiting for them to show up so I can get this heap moving!

Attached Files:

17. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I was hopping you would have it far enough along that you would be able to bring it to Steel N Motion in a couple weeks.

Even if it's not ready, throw it on a trailer and bring it up so we can check it out.

18. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

I thrashed all weekend and got my motor put together and bollted in the car. I hope it's just standard reassembly from here on out, I'm whipped!!

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      500.9 KB
      Views:
  19. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Got the car all "finished" up and took it to Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green. Had a great time and beat the piss out of the car. Too much fun.

Attached Files:

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I saw the car there it was awesome

21. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Thanks enloe, I gotta buddy in Cleveland that has some straight axle '55s, I bet you know him.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I may be missing something in this picture but if the steering arm on the passenger side is stood off with those long bolts, thats not going to work on the street. Maybe the steering arm is braced and it doesnt show?

(picture, post 46)

24. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Yep enloe, he's a good friend of mine.

25. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

The flat steering arms I am using hit the caliper so I set them out with chromoly tube and high strength bolts. I didn't have any issues with it and it got "stress tested" excessively, but I have since added supports to the bottom holes on the spindle because although it was fine, it did look a little sketchy.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I looked at your car there. I was talking to kenny while I was looking at your car. I had the kid with the red Mohawk. I HAVE A THREAD GOING ON THIS EVENT.

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You should load up your car and bring it to Cleveland Saturday we will be having our cruise in. there will probably be 5 to 700 cars there if the weather is good. I will be set up in the swap meet selling old car magazines and parts.

28. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

29. Love those 55`s

30. Love it! You did an awesome job:cool: I want a '55 straight axle car so bad:eek: