Register now to get rid of these ads!

fiberglass 41 willys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dexleo2, Sep 4, 2010.

1. dexleo2

dexleo2

Well I started looking at fiberglass bodies for a 41 willys coupe and was wondering if any one out there know of which is the best for the money. I was also wondering if maybe some one knows of kit that is setting in someones shop waiting for a new owner. Love the look of the 41 coupe gasser style of course. I have built a lot of cars but never one out of fiberglass. Looking for a new challenge. All of the car shows I attend every year I have only seen one or two at the most. it would be something different. Thanks

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's a glass Out Law body, #24, tilt front. Re-did the door hinges but that's about it. Would do it again.....................
    Also I didn't want the unfinished look and feel of the inner fender lips so we rolled the edge on front & rear...........................

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  3. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Check out Willys hot rod.com They make a glass body to fit on an S10 chassis or it can be put on a tube chassis also. Probably the least exspensive way to go.

4. dexleo2

dexleo2

brigrat- That is a kickass looking car- really like the look what chassis is that body sitting on one of there or did you build the chassis your self?

5. big bad john

big bad john

Try Willys hot rod .com My best friend got one from them:D

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Out Law rails, Hiet's front grafted on, four bar rear with 9"..........
    No matter what body you buy get the frame from same co. if offered and if it's quality..... I did 2 of these but if I was to do it again it would be a gasser type for sure, this one is a little to street roddish but what customer wanted..............

7. xracer40

xracer40

If you want a body that is more like a copy of an original,you might try Hillside Street Rods. The consensus of some of more knowledgable Willys guys seem to favor his stuff.

8. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

bewhre of where you buy it from,check out customers car first. outlaw seems to be the best to me. i bought mine from bad boy customs in tn. i got screwed so bad that i will probley never have my willys.nothing comes close to fitting,no inner structure,i just got a poor quality body,and a cheap tube frame. i am a pro fab and body guy and i cant even fix this p.o.s.

9. benji2714

benji2714

I will second the Hillside Streetrod Willys. Ronnie Sandifer 985 898 3653 I have an all steel 40 and one of his glass ones. Can hardly tell them apart. Nice gentelmen. Generaly has them in stock.

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Check Hill Side Street Rods in Covington Louisiana. This guy builds a willys body that you will need a magnet to be sure it is glass. He also builds turn key cars that are outstanding.

11. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

^^^^^What he said!^^^^^

12. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

hillside rods for sure I got a bunch of pics from ronnie and the cars look nice.

13. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

OUTLAW,built mine in 91,drive every where and never had a crack.You get everything you order.Nice people to work with.

14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Dude! Is that thing Pink?:D

15. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I just went to hillside and the site is down.:( Hopefully not for long.

16. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

the 41 is SAlMON and the girls love it

17. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Ronnie/Hillside doesn't have a website......he's a one man (PERFECTIONIST) operation turning out beautiful stuff. No time to maintain a website. Call him. ScottRods (he's on here) is another quality product.

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it's pink, and we all know girls like fiberglass cars...

19. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Ask them if they can do this on there bodies!!

Scott

Attached Files:

• joe.jpg
      joe.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  20. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'd say Scott's rods after seeing him stand on his body, now that's strong. He's got my vote.

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I don't know anything about your Willys body BUT lets see you cut out the front windshield area and the rear window area if filled in. Most shapes that are "egg shape" ( like the Willys roof) are strong no matter what. Just don't see how standing on the roof is a selling point, have any other selling points?

22. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Ok, Lets go with one of my less egg shaped roofed Race weight 33 willys bodies ,This is 6'4'' Gordon Crowe testing out his new Biggie Rat 33 we built him, this pic is right before we chopped the top for him down to the top of the cage, The second picture is how the car looks now after it was chopped.

Scott

Attached Files:

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

Well, I just did research and shit, for 11 to 15000 I'd save another 5 to 10000 and find a real steel body, they are out there. I can't believe plastic sells for that much now.

24. Weasel

Weasel

The problem with the majority of 'glass bodies is that almost everybody who makes them has pulled a plug off the Outlaw body, which itself is inaccurate. A true Willys guy can spot a plastic body a mile off. Two problem areas are the shape of the tail pan - it does not go straight out and follow the fender tail. It is rounded and curves under. There are also two seams as the tail pan is a three piece assembly. Then there are the quarter panels - on 'glass cars these are almost always molded in as one piece with the rocker below the door - wrong and a dead giveaway - it looks as if the quarter panels have been bondoed up. Next there is the cowl area at the sides and the firewall - always smoothed out and plastic looking. The dashes are another area where it really tells. And trying to resell a plastic 'Willys' is an exercise in futility. Selling a steel Willys coupe is a breeze.

Although the OP has probably long ago got his project, instead of shelling out $$$ for a plastic copy, why not buy a sedan for not a lot of $ and have someone like Lee Kay convert it to a coupe. Once you have the body, the cost of building the car is pretty much the same - real or fake. You'll end up with a steel Willys coupe body for not a lot more than the cost of a quality fiberglass body - and it's a real Willys with a real VIN. No more steel envy or need to hide your plastic shame. I guess the price of Willys sedans just went through the roof....;)

www.kayskustommetalworks.com

25. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Antique and Collectables (A&C) out of Buffalo. Saw an unpainted A&C next to an Outlaw body at Thompson a few years ago. The finish on the A&C body was by far better. The Outlaw body had seam flashing all over it, where the A&C body looked like you could leave it unpainted.

26. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Hey Weasel! good points! I met you at the big three swap in san diego, saw the rear clip that Lee did, amazing work! I saw an add for a sedan recently, guy wanted 10k for it

27. billcove

billcove
    from mass

Hi i have bought 2 cars from A&C. jag roadster and a 49 merc. I would recommend them. the jag was high gloss black jellcoat that did not need paint, just buffing. the merc is my avatar. very good quality and customer service.bill

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  28. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

6/18/13
    Here's a pic of another fake 41 one we just finished,

Attached Files:

29. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

6/18/13
    Here's a shot of two fake gasser's I built.

Attached Files:

30. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

I've bought components from Scottrods and i'd put his quality up against anybody! Scott is a class act and will take the time to communicate with you and give you exactly what you're looking for, no bs. He will tailor fiberglass thickness to coincide with what you are going to do with the car (race vs. street or something in between). If you were at the HRR at bowling green this past week you saw a lot of his stuff on the AA/GS cars and they weren't ashamed to run his logo in their cars.