Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

I just did like Ryan suggests in the original post and pulled the knob off the gain control. Then I dug out something more in keeping with the style of the truck, drilled it to the right diameter and pushed it onto the spindle.

The amp sits in the glove box and all I do is open it up, plug my iPhone in and shut the glove box back up with the phone inside. There is no sign of a radio anywhere, but I have my music whilst driving.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Thank you.

3. yblock292

yblock292

wanna do the same in my 51, built the console with built in speakers, but wanna use an ipod and 4 channel amp............gotta have my grandson show me how!

4. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I just bought a unit from SoundStorm for a motorcycle and it has the volume control and speaker and amp included.Put in in my 40.1 bolt it comes out to use in the 29

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well....the price seems very good, is it up and running, if so, what do you think? Love to see some install pics.

6. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Could you give a little more detial about the unit you bought? Maybe a link to the manufacturer's website?

7. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Sound Storm.com part # utv2 I made a bracket to mount speakers flat amd the amp below it and made it where I could remove it from dash with 1 screw so I could move it to the Model A or use it in the garage.I haven't used it need to get a 10 year old to show how to download music to mp3.Bought mp3 and it doesn't work or I don't know how to load.Had a man load some music but can't figure out how to turn it on.My neice will come by next week to help me she has a ipod she is not using.

8. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I'll try to get pic as I said I too old for this computer stuff my pics are to big.And the utv2 has the volume control also.But I would like to use a flash drive but don't know how to hook it up.They are a lot cheaper that ipod's and mp3.

9. I need pics of this want tunes for my cars and would like to see how you made this portable and thoughts on sound quality. The speakers are 2 inches?

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

flatmotor40, I love the motorcycle/atv audio system idea! you get a radio, and a 2 channel amp with remote control with the ability to connect an MP3 player or throw them straight onto an SD card and plug it into the amp! all in a package that like you said is about the size of a pack of smokes! I wish I could buy it without the speakers...I built my rear package tray to hold anywhere from a set of 6" speakers up to 6x9's. I'm guessing straight 6" speakers are about the max this little amp could handle.

11. daddio211

daddio211

Revkev, the size of speaker is immaterial, its the RMS rating of the speaker/amp that is a big key to good sound. If the amp is rated at 20 RMS per channel then find speakers (any size) that are rated similarly. They don't have to be exact, but within 15% is a good rule of thumb.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. daddio211

daddio211

So this Sound Storm thing HAD me interested. I think this is the one. http://www.soundstormlab.com/off-road/smc75/

However:
    • You can't click the online shopping tab.
    • The toll-free number is disconnected.
    • When you call in for sales you get two choices, and neither person answers.

I left a message but so far I'm not too impressed with their "business".

13. daddio211

daddio211

Email response was quick from these folks. Professional and knowledgable too, and they sent me a link to buy the system for $89.99, not the $160 MSRP. I'm not endorsing it, just intrigued by it because it's cheap, compact (easily hidden in a hot rod) and really simple to connect.

Ryan, I apologize if this is too far off track. Let me know and I'll be happy to remove it. Just seemed appropriate for the discussion at hand.

14. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

mine came with the volume control and all I had to do is connect hot and ground wire.Have not used it because I have no mp3 player yet.Bought one and it didn't work,Stopped work on it right now for health reasons but will get on it next week I hope

15. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I hope this pic takes

Attached Files:

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about audio, infact all these audio geek terms and syncronyms scare me. Call me a caveman if you will, but I don't want to understand it I just want it to do what I tell it to!

Daddio, whats the deal with that thing? All the stuff from the first post all bundled into one compact unit? Just need that and an ipod and your done? No need to go out and drop a few hundred on a good amp to run just one 6x9?

Same question goes to the guy that posted this
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMCA25U/Mini-MotorcycleATVSnowmobile-Amplifier

17. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Hillbilly I also don't do radio stuff but from what I read on this site I figured out to add this to my 40 so I could hear somethings and this was the easiest to hook up i 1 package just had to make a holder for the small amp and speakers.Also can take it out with 1 screw and use in shop or the ModelA

18. daddio211

daddio211

From what I can tell its an all-inclusive unit, speakers, amp, controls, AM/FM, USB port and memory card. Just connect +/- to your 12 volt battery, wire the speakers and you're done.

I suppose an iPod could work via the USB port but it would be cheaper and probably easier to use a memory card or thumb drive. The trouble would be the 4 gig music limitation.

Flatmotor40, can you expound?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Just went through this install, having a problem. With iPhone hooked up to charging port you can barely hear it. If I plug in earphone jack it's louder, but not loud enough to hear when car is running. Checked all connections, and amp is getting 12 volt switched power, and 12 volt battery power. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

are you using a separate volume control? or just using the volume control on the ipod itself?

21. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Separate volume control, followed Ryans install exactly. Volume control doesnt get very loud, when I plug in headphone jack its louder, but not by much.

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

theres your problem:D

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

is the volume on the phone turned up (in iTunes)?

24. daddio211

daddio211

What are you running for an amo and speakers? Manufacturer and model number?

Sent using the NEW Droid HAMB app from atop my toilet.

25. I am going to use a 4 channel amp it is an Alpine MRV-f300. It is just under 8"x8"x2.25", I tore the guts out of my factory radio. My intention is to try and mount the amp in the radio chasis and keep the stock face.

26. Is there an adjustment on your amp that needs to be turned up?

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

So if you're holding the camera AND you're turning the volume knob...who's driving?

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

The bias plys and and that groove in the center of the road. That baby cruises like its on rails!

29. here is what I am working on, I tore all the components out of my radio and plan to use it to mount the amp. The next move is to convert the radio switch to power up the amp.

Attached Files:

• amp.jpg
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views: