Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plan Vacation Trip "Route 66" from Chicago to California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddyohs, May 4, 2013.

1. prldrm

prldrm

I just saw this thread. Baddass, Daddyohs! The "BEGIN" sign is across the street from my office at Adams and Michigan Ave in Chicago (even though the true terminus is Jackson and Michigan).

As already mentioned, the Illinois association is a great resource for IL Route 66. The museum in Pontiac has a lot of information along with a lot of pictures and artifacts. http://www.il66assoc.org/

You'll start seeing a lot of the abandoned stretches of the old route once you get around Dwight. This site has a lot of the turn-by-turns.
    http://www.historic66.com/description/

Good luck on your trip!

2. Klingt nach einer netten Reise!
    Viel Spass und schiesst genug Bilder!

3. TexasDart

TexasDart

and of course you have to go to Winslow AZ and stand on the corner.

4. Hae a good trip and post lots of pics!

5. TGallaher

TGallaher

What a great trip. My Wife and I did it two years ago. Stayed in old Motels along the way. Lots of great people and wonderful sights. Here is another great one with a nice pool.
    http://wigwammotel.com/

Don't forget Williams, AZ by the Grand Canyon. Here is a nice hotel as well.
    http://www.thedowntowneronroute66.com/

As mentioned in other post's take lots of photos and post them here!

Enjoy Your Trip!!!

6. TGallaher

TGallaher

7. metalman

metalman

Give me a holler when you're near Albuquerque, we'll see what we can find for you, if nothing else I'll give you the 5 cent tour of our hot rod shop, 2 blocks off 66 in the center of town.

8. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

Cattleman's Restaurant in OKC for a steak. Get some Lamb Fries as a side. Pops and Round Barn in Arcadia have already been mentioned. I've heard that Oklahoma has more original Route 66 than any other state.

9. Sounds real great - thanks so much for all cool informations.
    I think this will be a great road trip.

10. I will arrive in Chicago. There are any intersting Car Meetings on this weekend in CHICAGO (24.08. - 25.08. - 26.08.2013). Any intersting shows or music in town? Dragrace? Flea markets (car parts)?

11. Give me a shout when you are close to Springfield, MO. I'll run with you to Joplin!

12. hudson48

hudson48

Stayed at the Wagon Wheel in 2009 before the new owners took it over and did a lot of improvements.When we stayed it was so bad it was funny.
    Some friends stayed there recently and liked it.
    Don't forget the Missouri Hicks BBQ right in front of the Wagon Wheel for good tucker.

13. PatM

PatM
    from California

You are gonna LOVE this trip. My wife and I did the section West of OKC a few years back. We found, of all the publications we brought with us in the Corvette, a set of maps (one for each state on the route) was absolutely the most useful. All the publications have value, but trying to flip through a book, and matching where you are at any given moment, particularly where the old route has multiple "alignments" can be tough.

One other suggestion, starting in Chicago, by the time you get to Winslow (remember -- stand on the corner) you may be tired of the traditional Route 66 hotels. The Blue Swallow (when we were there) was as described, run by a great young couple, but in need of some repair. The neon was AWESOME. Anyway -- the suggestion I'd make for Winslow is to stay at LaPosada. One of the best bargain hotels in America. It isn't CHEAP, but it is moderate (maybe a little over $100/night) but it is absolutely beautifully restored, and a truly significant and historical operation. If you don't stay, at least spend some time. It's on the Eastbound route through downtown Winslow. VERY near that corner you'll want to be standing on. Can't miss it.

Enjoy your trip. My wife and I will be doing the whole trip (now that we're retired), probably in 2015.

PatM

14. Andy,

Wagon is Way Cool .... :D

Good Luck on your Road Trip !

Jim

15. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

Stop at the Rt66 dragway in Joliet. Just south of Chicago. Its on your way.
    A few good spots in Dwight, and the Pontiac museum and the Rt66 museum in Pontiac Il. make sure to drive around back to get your picture
    with the huge 66 logo.
    Depending on the time you go through Dwight Il. we may be able to meet.

16. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

There is a high quality restored Standard Oil station in Pontiac IL. I believe it was built in 1935.

[​IMG]

17. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

As mentioned before, the Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba Missouri is a GREAT period motel. We have stayed there many times. Plus, there are old motels in Lebanon and Springfield Missouri also. I am just off the "Route" and would be happy to help in any way.

[email protected]

Roger

18. I would like stay saturday (24th august) afternoon in "The Loop Area" and also the completly sunday (25th august).
    On monday (26th august) I would like drive to Wisconsin - Milwaukee. I would like see the Harley Davidson Museum. Between Chicago and Milwaukee ... is there any think to see? Old Junkyards, Hamb Members, Diners? I would like drive the road close to the lake - is there a nice nature or is the Interstate 94 the better solution?

Regards
    Andy

19. Maria

Maria

Enjoy you trip! We drove the Route 2008. There is a Rout 66 map book/ guide book that has all the 66 roads from different years, we drove all the oldest ones. Lot's of cravel and dirt roads. We wrote a blog on our trip.. It's in Finnish but if you want to take a look --) http://routekuuskuus.blogspot.fi/
    I'll try to find the name of the book for you...
    Best Wishes
    Maria
    Ps. I found my '32 from the end of the Route ...

20. Push UP - CU soon on Route 66

21. blktie

blktie

From the Loop take Lake Shore Drive (US41) North to Sheridan Road (still US41) and you can stay on Sheridan Road all the way to Milwaukee. Follow the "Great Circle" signs that eventually take you around Lake Michigan. Won't see any junk yards and lake views are not always present, but you will see some killer Lake Estates and great harbors (if you like boats) in the Northern Burbs of Chicago.

22. blktie

blktie

Also in Pontiac, IL is the Pontiac-Oakland Museum. A "Don't Miss". Pontiac is right on historic Old Route 66.

23. @blktie: thank you for this informations.

Regards
    Andy

24. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Did Santa Monica to Springfield this year and did not allow the time I should have.
    Used the Garmin, ez66 guide (really helpful) and a road map picked up on the way that was the entire route 66 map.
    Stayed at Route 66 Motel in Springfield, Andaluz in Albuquerque and Big Texan in Amarillo.

25. aldixie

aldixie

I've done Oklahoma City through to California and stayed as much as I could on the old road. Still have red dirt on the underside of the car from two years ago. If the map says rough road believe it. I didn't and after a couple of hundred yards turned back as it felt like the car was going to shake apart.

26. @Ic1963: thanks for info. I check out now for a navi system. there are any homepages with route66 street cordinations.