Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

2. farmer12

farmer12

The hammer and dolly look good and I'm glad to hear you're going to be using lead, instead of bond. At this rate, you're going to finish before I do! Looking great Antti.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!

I am pretty sure that yours will be done sooner,Eric.
    There are just few little things on the body that needs some attention,but at this point most of the bodywork is done.After i've done with the rest,next phase will be lifting the body off from the frame,sandblasting and painting them etc.
    And i need to fabricate some kind of rolling platform for the body.I am out of space,so i've planned to store the body from somewhere,so i can finish the frame while its stashed.
    After all the work i've done,i am not going to leave the body outside for month or two.

4. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Looking good again... I should visit there someday so that we can talk some s...t.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    Just call me when you are in the neighborhood.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Okey,rear seat is notched at this point:

[​IMG]

If i remember right,these seats are from 50'.The front seat mounts looks like bit different and there was some differences on rear seat too.But it fits there anyway.I have to make new holding clips for the bottom seat,but otherwise the notching part is pretty much done.

7. EBW

EBW

Smooth transition.. nice work

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bet you're tempted to just sit back there with a beverage! Looks good.

9. For some reason I missed your progress.Nice work on the quarter panel and agree with farmer12, lead is the way to go.Keep the updates coming.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Yeah,its been pretty hot summer in here so far,so test sitting on the backseat with beverage is really tempting.
    I've been thinking about building a body rotisserie,so i guess that will be my way to spend my summer vacation.I think because of going on the side tracks again,there wont be anything special updates with this build for a while.

11. I'm almost finished but have yet to modify my rear seat. Maybe this will push me a bit. Thanks for the wake up call. Cars looking great Finn. Keep at it.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From JJ's ROG thread: this is ScootermcRAD's portable rotisserie. Just a thought.

[​IMG]

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    I try to shoot some better pics of the nothces i did,maybe a pic or two will save some of your time.

Thanks for the suggestion,but i had something different in my mind.
    Thats pretty cool looking rotisserie,but i guess mounting a body on that thing could be a bit challenging?
    My plan is to go to scrap yard at tomorrow and pick up some steel from there.
    I have next week left slavery before vacation,so i can do some lathe work after working hrs..

14. My brother is restoring a 59 El Camino and built a rotisserie.
    He had the body mounted on it.
    I will see if he has some pics of it or get him to take some, maybe it can help with some ideas for you.

15. Hey Antti,

Here are some pic's of my brothers rotisserie.
    He got the plans from Red Wing Steel Works.
    Hope this can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Kevin!
    Thats pretty much what i had in my mind.I heard that our version of Harbor Freight sells those tall hydraulic cylinders.I bought some steel from the scrapyard and looks like they have pretty much everything i need,so i guess i have to do a little shopping spree in there.Just need to borrow my bro's van again..

17. Antti,

Sorry about the extra post, was sent two more pic's.
    He said the key to it working good was to get good balance.:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Kevin!

Looks like those rotisseries have quite simply design.I havent seen bearings or other fancy stuff on most of them i've found from web.
    But i guess bearings are not necessary in this case.We have rotisseries at my work too,but we rotate around 2 ton weight things on them.So bearings and electric motor are really helpful in that job...
    Anyway,here is pics from the seat notches as promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to figure it out,how to notch them without cutting any springs.It was not a bad job after all.

19. That's pretty neat, looks like it came from the factory that way.
    Great metal work as always.

20. Päivää!

WOW!!
    Crazy car Crazy Project,

I like Your car n the way U do all tings!

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

No progress with the car,but i got the rotisserie done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know is it necessary,but think i'll do some bracing for the body before i lift it off from the frame,just in case.There are few other spots too that needs a little work before the lifting.

23. Nice job Antti, the rotisserie came out great!

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Kevin!
    The steel i bought for that side project wasnt A-class stuff.There was slight bends on some of them,but i made shorter pieces of the shittier stuff,so i guess its good enought.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Wow, nice rotisserie! I only had basic bracing in my body when I used the rotisserie, nothing serious, it didn't flex.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Okey,my thread got moved in the traditional customs department.Well,i think it will fit in here just fine.I am not going to bag this project(i bought 4" drop leafs a while ago),no glass parts or easter egg color.The plan is just keep things simply and to use the 265 sbc which came with the car.
    Yep,i know that lot of guys hate sbc's in Fords.But its period correct anyway:D

And thanks guys for your words!
    Thats my plan too,Andrew.Just make a basic bracing.But i noticed that the A and B-pilars need a little finishing touch,before i am ready to lift off.I think i have to borrow my bro's van again at next week and pick up the bracing stuff.

28. ausbuick

ausbuick

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Antti , Excellent job on the rotisserie . Do you have any blueprints that you could share with us ? As you know I will be building one as well . I like the looks of yours . How long did it take to build ? Thanks , Andy...